Track bar relocation brackets, do I need them? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Track bar relocation brackets, do I need them?

I am getting ready to change out my springs and control arms this weekend. Ive been using a 2.5 basic lift with some added extras (see list below) currently as my lift. I am starting to question myself, if I need any other components to do things proper.

This is a list of all items that I have for my 2007 "X" JKU suspension system:

3" lift springs for front and rear (NEW previously 2.5)
1" spacers for the front if needed to level out for the bumper and winch weight
1/2" spacer for rear, just in case because I have it
Steering stabilizer relocation bracket/re-enforces the front track bar mount
Front bump stop extensions
Rear bump stop risers
extended brake lines
Shocks for 3-5" of lift
Discos front and longer rear links
Adjustable track bars for both front and rear
8 adjustable control arms (NEW previously stock )

The one thing not on this list is track bar relocation brackets for the front and rear. Do I need them with this set up? Looking at most of the companies suspension systems, they usually have relocation brackets to center the axle in there kits and not adjustable track bars.

In the past, I only used the adjustable track bars to handle the centering of the axles. Are there added benefits to using the track bar relocating brackets beyond centering the axle just like what using the adjustable track bars will do? If I do add the relocate brackets, can I still use my adjustable TBs with this lift height?

Also, I was planning to do a drag link flip at some point after I get the springs and adj. LCA installed, to improve my steering geometry to help lessen the bump steer. And I have read on here that I would need a track bar relocating bracket up front when I do that to keep the drag link and track bar in the same plane? When I do this, which should I use, axle mount relocate bracket or frame mount relocate bracket? Is there any advantage or dis-advantage between using one or the other to do this?

Is there anything not on my list that I should get to improve my setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Rock God

Yes if you go with a draglink flip youll need to raise the TB, so like you mentioned they stay parallel to each other to avoid bumpsteer. Im running the poly performance kit. Not a big fan of using any drop on the frame side (why put the extra stress on that mount). The axle bracket adds alot of beef to a weak point on the axle & raises the TB at the same time, two things w/one mod. Anytime youre running the trackbar in a flatter position youre lowering the roll center & thats a good thing. The same pertains to the rear also, where the bracket will give you extra beef to a weak point & higher mount points to run the TB in a flatter position. Keep in mind the minimum amount of bumpstop needed to run the flip kit in front, though. Very happy w/the install on mine & also swapped out the stock tierod too w/poly. Yes you can still run adjustable TB's, you get the advanatage of running them shorter w/the higher mounting points. Curious as to which SS relocate bracket you have that reinforces the TB mount. The ones I've seen do nothing more then bolt to the stock bracket & offer no addl bracing.

Last edited by highwayman; 02-09-2012 at 09:15 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the info.

I didn't mention, but I am running the Poly tie rod assembly on mine too. Really nice!

The stabilizer mount relocate is from JKS. Although it can be bolted on as an option, I welded it in place. It raps around the bottom and also gets welded to the axle tub itself. Maybe not quit as much reinforcing as a track bar relocation bracket would be, but certainly an improvement.

The upper mount relocate that I was thinking about is the Teraflex one that uses a bar from the other side frame rail to reinforce it.

Again thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Thanks for the info.

I didn't mention, but I am running the Poly tie rod assembly on mine too. Really nice!

The stabilizer mount relocate is from JKS. Although it can be bolted on as an option, I welded it in place. It raps around the bottom and also gets welded to the axle tub itself. Maybe not quit as much reinforcing as a track bar relocation bracket would be, but certainly an improvement.

The upper mount relocate that I was thinking about is the Teraflex one that uses a bar from the other side frame rail to reinforce it.

Again thanks
Sounds like little chance on running the axle bracket now, since you welded the SS bracket to the axle. There will definately be issues w/interference mounting it up.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
Sounds like little chance on running the axle bracket now, since you welded the SS bracket to the axle. There will definately be issues w/interference mounting it up.
Not really a big issue if that is the way to go. All welds are accessible with an air grinder without damaging the original track bar bracket if I wanted. Or I could go with the weld on mount from Poly. Then I would just have to remove the complete original bracket and weld the new on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode