bolted to the frame 14 34.15%
bolted to the stock body mounts 5 12.20%
bolted to the stock mounts and to the frame 6 14.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

rock rails....... weld on vs. bolt on

ok, Im im building a set of rock rails because the price for them is to high for me when I know I have the tools and abulity to build them myself. So here it is

I have always welded all my rock rails onto the rigs I have owned and several more I have modified for others. But just about every aftermarket rail you can buy for a jeep is bolted on. Is there a reason for this? I was going to weld the set Im building on in 4 different locations. But I want to know what you think and how you did it and why.

Weld on?
or bolt on?

Build it! Run it! Break it! Repeat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Granite Guru

bolt on to the body
pros: protects the rocker panels and the seam, easy to replace
cons: ???
post #3 of 33 Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Erlds to the bolts. Best of boff worlds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Frame mounted bolt on. My .002 worth

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I voted bolt to the frame. My Shrockworks bolt to the frame and they have taken some gnarly shots. I like being able to remove easily if need be as well.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #6 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Rock God

Welded to the frame.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #7 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
Welded to the frame.

That is exactly what I was thinking and planing on doing.

post #8 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
I voted bolt to the frame. My Shrockworks bolt to the frame and they have taken some gnarly shots. I like being able to remove easily if need be as well.
How are they bolted to the frame? did you have to drill holes? and how many places are they mounted? I have not seen any

I live in northern Idaho so not many people have jk jeeps that are modified. everyone has full sized or diesels hopped up for the mountains. Not many narrow trails just mostly logging roads to play on

post #9 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just depends on whatchu want/whatchu like ...I welded EVOs and can't think of a reason to have to remove them, to include touch-up.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #10 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Your last option is invalid..... if you go that route, you will buy a new tub.

I feel bolt on is due to new owners being scared to cut, weld, whatever to their high dollar vehicle.... understandable, but if you are building a trail rig, I don't feel bolt on is optimal.

Many have damaged their tubs due to body mounted sliders.... if you think you will do more than show off at the mall..... go frame mounted.
post #11 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 AM
JKO Addict!

abendx speaks the truth. Ask me how I know.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #12 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Rock God

If you were trying to decide on what ones to purchase, then I would say that it just depends on the type of wheel'in that you plan to do and the money you want to spend. But since you are building them yourself, then I will vote for frame mount. Maybe bolt them on to start, and then weld them after you have a chance to get out there and test them. No offence, but if your design sucks and you need to make changes, it's easier to unbolt instead of cutting welds.

I am using the ACE rock slides that bolt on to the body mounts under my Rubi rails at this time. It's not that I am scared to cut or weld on my high dollar rig. It's just that for the level of wheel'in that I get to do, they meet my needs at a price I could handle.
post #13 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Bolt to the frame.

YOu can remove them to:

1) Make improvements
2) Replace if damaged
3) Repaint

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #14 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I welded mine to the body.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #15 of 33 Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Bolt to the frame.

YOu can remove them to:

1) Make improvements
2) Replace if damaged
3) Repaint

Like adding gussets to the mounting tube so it wont bend so easily?

post #16 of 33 Old 02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_man22 View Post
Like adding gussets to the mounting tube so it wont bend so easily?
yes.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #17 of 33 Old 02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

If I get a good welder here shortly I'll be making mine look like the EVO's and mounting like ACE's (body bolts). I'm thinking about putting on a couple brackets to bolt to the frame as well... Slight bolt-on overkill but, I'd rather the frame bolts/mounts take the blunt of the impact...
post #18 of 33 Old 02-14-2012, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Don't you want the frame and body to be isolated from each other?

What's the advantage to mounting the sliders to the body?

Build thread:

post #19 of 33 Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Don't you want the frame and body to be isolated from each other?

What's the advantage to mounting the sliders to the body?
I agree that the body and frame should be separate in-order to allow body roll etc... But, with the slider mounts attached to the bottom side of the body mount brackets it shouldn't interfere with body roll etc.

I don't really see no specific advantage of mounting the sliders to the body... I think if anything, it'll create more problems later.
post #20 of 33 Old 02-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Rock God

Garage

I suppose they may not be as strong as frame mount (bolt or weld), but I LOVE my PSC Rocker Knockers.. They mount to the body, but use 14 bolts. I've had half of my Jeep supported by one of them a few times and they've done fine for me.. Probably not the best choice for extreme rock crawling, though..

Here's some before and after pics.. (before and after the Rubicon Trail)..

After the Rubicon:

post #21 of 33 Old 02-16-2012, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

They look like they held up well and with the normal wheeler that is not slamming down onto rocks like a race buggy I think they would hold up great

post #22 of 33 Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_man22 View Post
They look like they held up well and with the normal wheeler that is not slamming down onto rocks like a race buggy I think they would hold up great
If you're referring to the PSC's, yep - that's my take (what u said).. I slammed them a few times and they didn't budge. Also had the passenger side supported only by the slider (wheels hanging freely), while pivoting and the slider held up great (that's what did the damage in the second pic). Like you said - a serious slam (like a 2 foot drop) might bend things up a pinch.. Wouldn't go this route for a serious rock monster but if you do the math - say, 5,000 lbs spread over 14 bolts comes to about 360 lbs per bolt (and I can't imagine how the entire weight could come to rest on 1 slider)... A fast impact with a few thousand pounds behind it may, tho...

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 02-16-2012 at 07:58 PM.
post #23 of 33 Old 02-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Granite Guru

I know that you can't bolt on to the frame and the body or it will destroy stuff but... A friend of mine on a yota had some frame mounted sliders that he crashed down on and they ended up pushed into the rocker. Maybe they were of crap quality but i would say they seemed pretty stout. If someone designed a slider that attached to the frame but had some way to increase strength against upward force by attaching to the body mounts on the frame but not the actual body? I am up in the air with this because I live in a Salty road area and dont want to drill into the body for nutserts and open up a chance for corrosion but I dont want a slider to bend up and end up against the body.
post #24 of 33 Old 02-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoiiiiojk View Post
I know that you can't bolt on to the frame and the body or it will destroy stuff but... A friend of mine on a yota had some frame mounted sliders that he crashed down on and they ended up pushed into the rocker. Maybe they were of crap quality but i would say they seemed pretty stout. If someone designed a slider that attached to the frame but had some way to increase strength against upward force by attaching to the body mounts on the frame but not the actual body? I am up in the air with this because I live in a Salty road area and dont want to drill into the body for nutserts and open up a chance for corrosion but I dont want a slider to bend up and end up against the body.
I'm originally from Up State NY (South East of Syracuse)... I now live in Va and I still can't bring myself to drill into the body. That's why I am going to combine ACE's mounting with the EVO looks... I'll add a couple brackets to bolt it to the frame for added strength. I think with those fixed points and some quality 1.75 x .120 DOM it should be solid/rigid enough to resist being pushed into the rocker/body.
post #25 of 33 Old 02-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

I got the shrockworks bolt on. Ran em for 2 yrs. lost a couple bots on driver side slider. Rattled like a mofo...just got it welded for the win.
I do like to play in big rocks

Last edited by SlowMo; 02-16-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode