Nth degree 4.5" lift and rk - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Nth degree 4.5" lift and rk

So, I will be getting a 4.5 RS lift and was wanting to add RK arms uppers/ lowers/ front/ back. I am wanting to make for a better ride on and off road. I was told by one person that it would help, and another said the stock oem is better. Looking for opinions or if ya have a similar set up, speak up. Any and all information would be great. Also, would I need the drop brackets if I went with the adjustable arms? I understand it drops it to make for straighter ca angle, but wouldn't that ruin ground clearance?

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 PM
JKO Addict!

oh no

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 37 Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
oh no
Care to elaborate

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 PM
JKO Addict!

oh i've elaborated several times in other threads lol.

what are you using this for?

if you're going to be doing tougher trails don't even bother with the AEV steering kit. it's a RHD drag link that they overcharge for. and if hydro assist is in your future then you'll want a real trac bar not the relocated stock one.

really if you're buying the AEV kit and then adding control arms... all you're paying for is springs and shocks and trac bar brackets...

but to your original question. using the front relocation brackets with aftermarket arms WILL work. it takes their UCA adjustability out of the equation though. You'll just set that with the arms. In the end all that's really doing is lowering your front LCA's which improve the "angle of attack" of the LCA's (more parallel to ground) at the expense of clearance.

AEV fanbois will go on and on about the stock bushings and how great they are. That's bullshit. they're soft and wallowy. if you put RK arms on you MIGHT notice more of the small road bumps and that type of thing due to the stiffer bushings. but in my opinion it's well worth it. when i did mine and ditched the stock arms (with aev brackets) the difference was night and day better. It was more direct, stiffer (in a good way), and i felt like my jeep was a roller skate rather than that smooshy wallowy feel with the stock arms.

the advantage of adjustable arms in the rear is you can set your pinion angle and minimize driveshaft wear. same in the front. you can set your EXACT castor right where you want it.

so i guess what i'm saying is there's no negative with going with RK arms... but at that point... why not just buy a real kit instead of the mall crawler AEV kit?

post #5 of 37 Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well, I am mainly driving highway (170miles a day) luckily some times I can stay with a friend. So I'm looking for a smoother ride but can still crawl. Also, thanks for the info, helped a lot.

post #6 of 37 Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Jk View Post
Well, I am mainly driving highway (170miles a day) luckily some times I can stay with a friend. So I'm looking for a smoother ride but can still crawl. Also, thanks for the info, helped a lot.
for mostly on road driving with moderate wheeling the full blown AEV lift only would be fine.

the rk arms would make it better but you can always add them later...

i'm sure some kool aid drinking aev owners will post on here later can't wait lol

post #7 of 37 Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
for mostly on road driving with moderate wheeling the full blown AEV lift only would be fine.

the rk arms would make it better but you can always add them later...

i'm sure some kool aid drinking aev owners will post on here later can't wait lol
In all fairness, and I'm not a fanboy, watch this

It looks looks like it does well with both. And i live in Colorado, so I need some thing that can crawl also.

post #8 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 04:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
In all fairness, and I'm not a fanboy, watch this

It looks looks like it does well with both. And i live in Colorado, so I need some thing that can crawl also.
It'd be a more fair comparison if they put the stig in it and ran it against similar lifts. I'd put $ that there'd be no appreciable difference between the aev ad another quality lift on the track.

It's your $. Waste it wherever you want. After removing an aev kit an various aev parts off 2 jeeps I can say i have had my share of experience with that lift. Like I said. it'll be fine for the road.

I'm sure jpk will chime in here soon with his super awesome all terrains aev hemi swap *lamesauce*.

I could save him the time but hell still post about engineering and will toss some Chrysler engineers name around (because Chrysler is known for handling right?)

Should be fun to watch.

post #9 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

My other reason is no one else makes a 4.5 lift. And I don't want a 3.5 or the 5.5.

post #10 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
My other reason is no one else makes a 4.5 lift. And I don't want a 3.5 or the 5.5.
Clayton, poly, trailmaster
To name a few

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #11 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 06:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
FALSE!

07 Rescue Green Unlimited
Upcoming projects - Much needed TLC
post #12 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I will say I am a huge fan of the AEV 3.5, the 4.5" lift does not have the same on road ride and handling feels top heavy as most lifts that high will. You want the drop brackets. The RK arms will really not help much other than provide a strong arm and worse on road ride. The purpose of the drop brackets sets up all the pinion and caster angles also makes the arms more parallel to the ground giving a much better ride. We install 15+ kits a month and we never have any return complaints.

Here's the AEV 3.5 on 37's

On 35's

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #13 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Just to be fair though Jason you are an aev dealer that builds those jeeps to sell. I'm not saying you dot have experience with them. But subconsciously you might be a wee bit biased there lol :-).

post #14 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

For road use and occasional wheeling the AEV kit would be great. If you're an articulation hound though, know that those rubber bushing are going to have a tough life. They do last a long time, but if you're running a long travel set up the twist does in fact fatigue the rubber. I've run into this first hand using Clevites on the JK. They look pretty rough after a year or two.

And I respectfully disagree on the need to change the track bar. Of all the things Jeep saddled us with on the factory suspension, the track bars are stout pieces and don't need to be replaced unless you really need the adjustability.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #15 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 AM
JKowners Vendor

Like was mentioned prior, you can certainly start out with just the AEV system and then add our components later. If you get the AEV kit without their drop brackets or adjustable control arms, you will experience a good amount of wander on the highway since your caster will be very low. Be sure to keep that in mind.

We do admit, that the smoothest riding arm on the highway alone is an OEM arm with the clevite bushings at one end. Why do we not offer our components that way? Well, the answer is simple, we expect more from our Jeeps than to be just driven on the highway. Offroad, the clevite bushings will twist, but that demands of off-road of the bushings, especially at the axle end where all the work is happening, will cause an issue. The clevite bushing itself will eventually fail, or even worse, the cumulative stress put on the OEM lower control arm mounts at the axle from forcing the clevite bushings to twist will eventually cause a fatigue failure of the them and the lower control arm mount will rip right off the axle.

We feel our arms are a nice comprimise. We put a nice, sealed, rebuildable spherical joint called a Krawler Joint at the axle connection and use the industries largest PTMEG bushing which also has off-road features built into it. The spherical joint takes all the twist you can throw at them and keeps asking for more with no induced stress on the OEM lower control arm mounts. Our arms also have high clearance bends in them for improved cross over angles. Drop brackets will hamper your cross over angles.

Good Luck with your build... Give us a shout if you have any questions.

BTW, our 3.5" systems offer 4" of lift up front and 3" of lift in the rear.... Just for information..

RK
post #16 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

After running the aev 4.5 then 3.5 and now running Rk 5.5 longarm
I have to say the difference is night and day.
The Rk long arm just drives better an doesn't feel top heavy at all
Spend it right the first time, I wish I would have

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #17 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
It'd be a more fair comparison if they put the stig in it and ran it against similar lifts. I'd put $ that there'd be no appreciable difference between the aev ad another quality lift on the track.

It's your $. Waste it wherever you want. After removing an aev kit an various aev parts off 2 jeeps I can say i have had my share of experience with that lift. Like I said. it'll be fine for the road.

I'm sure jpk will chime in here soon with his super awesome all terrains aev hemi swap *lamesauce*.

I could save him the time but hell still post about engineering and will toss some Chrysler engineers name around (because Chrysler is known for handling right?)

Should be fun to watch.
^^ This I didnt see anything spectacular on or off road in the video. Based on that it looked no more then a fire road. I found it funny the guy was actually spotting him through the sections. On the road portion, I dont see anything a guy familiar w/driving vehicles at the limit wouldnt be doing in a Jeep they were thrown keys to & said to have fun on a trackday. Other then some awful hand placement in turns. Obviously the hemi helps immensely w/oversteer. Any of the major lifts out there if set up properly will handle well for what the JK is. It boils down to I believe in what you want more out of off-road performance. Both make good stuff, one more $$ then the other. IMO RK would be the choice for off-road.

Last edited by highwayman; 02-09-2012 at 09:35 AM.
post #18 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Just to be fair though Jason you are an aev dealer that builds those jeeps to sell. I'm not saying you dot have experience with them. But subconsciously you might be a wee bit biased there lol :-).
I understand...However I have experience with several lifts on the market. I run AEV on my personal Jeep after running RE and Rancho previously. Our customers have been far more happy with our AEV kits than any other we have offered. We do offer Mopar/Superlift and Terfelx. I really like the Teraflex 2.5" with Bilstien shocks too. I am far more impressed with progressive rate srings too. I think Rock Krawler makes a great product for someone that plans on 80% Trail 20% hwy. Out customers are much like me DD 90% hwy 10% Trail. Really there are a lot of options out there.

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #19 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 09:56 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I understand...However I have experience with several lifts on the market. I run AEV on my personal Jeep after running RE and Rancho previously. Our customers have been far more happy with our AEV kits than any other we have offered. We do offer Mopar/Superlift and Terfelx. I really like the Teraflex 2.5" with Bilstien shocks too. I am far more impressed with progressive rate srings too. I think Rock Krawler makes a great product for someone that plans on 80% Trail 20% hwy. Out customers are much like me DD 90% hwy 10% Trail. Really there are a lot of options out there.

Jason
Jason

You guys build some nice looking rigs. The one truck conversion you have shown here looks like you used the entire MOPAR catalog for the build!

We feel we offer kits for almost all levels of on-road and off-road compliance. We would be glad to go head to head with any system on the market for handling, ride quality, off-road performance, longevity and price point. At some point if you want to try a 2.5" Max. Travel or something, let us know. We might be able to work something out.

RK
post #20 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Jason

You guys build some nice looking rigs. The one truck conversion you have shown here looks like you used the entire MOPAR catalog for the build!

We feel we offer kits for almost all levels of on-road and off-road compliance. We would be glad to go head to head with any system on the market for handling, ride quality, off-road performance, longevity and price point. At some point if you want to try a 2.5" Max. Travel or something, let us know. We might be able to work something out.

RK
Ha! We don't buy much AEV from Mopar and I'm not sure truck lites or Rigid 50" light bars are in that catalog yet. Do you guys use progressive rate springs? If not why?

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #21 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
For road use and occasional wheeling the AEV kit would be great. If you're an articulation hound though, know that those rubber bushing are going to have a tough life. They do last a long time, but if you're running a long travel set up the twist does in fact fatigue the rubber. I've run into this first hand using Clevites on the JK. They look pretty rough after a year or two.

And I respectfully disagree on the need to change the track bar. Of all the things Jeep saddled us with on the factory suspension, the track bars are stout pieces and don't need to be replaced unless you really need the adjustability.
If you say so. Hydro+stock track bar= blown trac bar

post #22 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 10:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
If you say so. Hydro+stock track bar= blown trac bar
Ah. Missed the hydro part.

Of course, if someone is using hydro....they should be WAY past the AEV kit at that point.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #23 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 11:40 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Ha! We don't buy much AEV from Mopar and I'm not sure truck lites or Rigid 50" light bars are in that catalog yet. Do you guys use progressive rate springs? If not why?

Jason
OK, so Rigid is right down the road from you! LOL.

We do have progressive rate coils in the 2.5" and 3.5" systems.
post #24 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
OK, so Rigid is right down the road from you! LOL.

We do have progressive rate coils in the 2.5" and 3.5" systems.
Ok did not know that! Once you go progressive you can't go back!

Jason

602-314-5356 or

/
/

post #25 of 37 Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Ok did not know that! Once you go progressive you can't go back!

Jason
Ya you can... Coilovers... True dual rate is where it's at lol. But ya progressive coils are nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode