Best fitting corner armor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Best fitting corner armor

Ok, who makes the best fitting corner armor? I am looking for a plain (or as close to plain) as possible with no light cutouts. I would like a "half armor" but I have no problem cutting off the side part if the fit is worth it I will be cutting my own light holes and filling the hinge slots (drop down tailgate)

Now, I do not want some brown nosing shine off pimping because OMG!! you love their stuf !!! .....no. Actually seen or actually own information please. And be brutally honest, if there are gaps I would like to know as this would be metalwork I have to do.

AEV? Poison Spyder? River Raider? who?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Rock God

The poison spyder corners are actually AEV corners with added steel to cover the entire corner panel. I currently have the PSC corners, and previously owned AEV's, which made the install a breeze. I don't have any experience with RR's products, but the PSC corners are very legit. The only down side is that they're 1/8" steel but you do have the option to get them without cutouts for recessed lights. The fit is exceptional and there's no gaps.

07 Rescue Green Unlimited
Upcoming projects - Much needed TLC

Last edited by Ken Jong Il; 02-08-2012 at 04:22 PM.
post #3 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Wheeler

OR-Fab has some killer corner armor! Its on the list of mods to do.

OR-Fab tire/can carrier, OR-Fab hooped stubby bumper.
TrailMaster Stealth Long Arm 4.5 inch (BAD ASS LIFT)
35 BFG KM2 on BlackRock D windows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrwilkinson View Post
OR-Fab has some killer corner armor! Its on the list of mods to do.
umm..no, they do not. if I can see the huge gap in the company website then I am sure its ginormous in person

Complete with a gay little lizard and oddball light hole.
post #5 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Rock God

I have river raiders, I would have to say its probably the thickest out there but you do have to trim the shit out of the taillight area. The fit is very good long as you trim the tail light are as directed. I posted the install couple yrs ago when it first came out. If I were to do it again, I would buy another raider corner plus, they will custome make the corners to your specs in steel or aluminum and you do not have to fill in the gap if you are doing a drop down tailgate

Last edited by md_rubi; 02-08-2012 at 06:33 PM.
post #6 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I have no experience with them on account of they took so damn long to come out, but i would think that the Poison Spyder corner armor would fit the best, just becuase of how they are stamped. I have the River Raider full aluminum corners that i had them make kind of custom. I wanted to make them work with my off roade evolution rocker armor, so i had them make them run long in front of the rear tire. You can see how they run long in this pic.

I took some measurements, cut and bent the bottoms of the corners on the press break so that the agle matched the off road evo rocker armor.

Any way, i probably could have made them fit a little tighter at the rear corners, but i got in kind of a hurry and ended up with a slight gap. I still love the RR corners becuase they are 3/16 thick and they are aluminum. They also look cool. I quit giving a fuck about making everything real slick a while back.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #7 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 07:23 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Facts produced from my own eyes.......

RR: fit like shit.
EVO: fit like shit (I have seen three different versions, all fit poorly)
Warrior: fit like shit.
PSC: fit perfectly!

Really.... the only option is PSC, if you want something that looks good and fits perfectly. None of the others that I have seen even come close to fitting. It is very sad that there isn't any real competition to the PSC item..... good thing for us they don't wake up to this and then gouge us due to their COMPLETE lack of competition.
post #8 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I only have had experience with RROR and I am happy.

The transition from rear panel to back is what has to be a bitch for production. We worked hard to get the gap to 1/8" which is just right. Added some silicone to clean it up.

IF PSC figured out that line it would make fit up a lot easier, not that the RROR is THAT much of a bitch... just have to be patient and take your time.

Well nuts are easy to work with, and I have zero issues after a year of use which included leaning on a few trees.
post #9 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

well nuts are not a concern as it will either be plug welded in place or 3M 5200 and nutserts.

Fit and finish is my main concern as it will be painted to match, cleared, color sanded, you get the idea.
I spend a lot of time to make sure things look good so when I bend them to fuck later I have no excuse to leave it that way
post #10 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il View Post
The poison spyder corners are actually AEV corners with added steel to cover the entire corner panel. I currently have the PSC corners, and previously owned AEV's, which made the install a breeze. I don't have any experience with RR's products, but the PSC corners are very legit. The only down side is that they're 1/8" steel but you do have the option to get them without cutouts for recessed lights. The fit is exceptional and there's no gaps.
^^^This. I went with the AEV just because I wanted to keep some of the stock body showing (and PSC hadn't come out with their 2-door version yet ) They fit extremely well.

...and, as you requested, they do come without cutouts, if you want.

post #11 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

Metalcloak has some but I have no clue on how the fit is. I helped install some PSC armor and the fit was great

2010 Unlimited
RIVER CITY OFFROAD
GREEN COUNTRY OFFROAD
DNA Fabrication
post #12 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
^^^This. I went with the AEV just because I wanted to keep some of the stock body showing (and PSC hadn't come out with their 2-door version yet ) They fit extremely well.

...and, as you requested, they do come without cutouts, if you want.

nick has the overkill ones (that cover about the same area). and they've held up great....

however the tub all the way to them is smashed to hell. my .02 is get a set that will cover to the door.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #13 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Facts produced from my own eyes.......

RR: fit like shit.
EVO: fit like shit (I have seen three different versions, all fit poorly)
Warrior: fit like shit.
PSC: fit perfectly!

Really.... the only option is PSC, if you want something that looks good and fits perfectly. None of the others that I have seen even come close to fitting. It is very sad that there isn't any real competition to the PSC item..... good thing for us they don't wake up to this and then gouge us due to their COMPLETE lack of competition.
+1 .... Ive beem shopping for corner armor and looked at everything I can get eyes on. PSC has the BEST fit, bar none.

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #14 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

If i had to do it all over again, i would still get the River Raider corners that i have, except i would get them to drill the holes smaller so i can use nut certs instead of the well nuts. I much rather nutcerts than well nuts.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #15 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

The Evo corners I saw looked perfect. No gaps anywhere.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Wheeler

Thats a lousy picture, they look way better in person, and no you dont have to have the lizard or the lights either. You can order them the way you want them. Just FYI. But thats fine if you dont like them.

OR-Fab tire/can carrier, OR-Fab hooped stubby bumper.
TrailMaster Stealth Long Arm 4.5 inch (BAD ASS LIFT)
35 BFG KM2 on BlackRock D windows
post #17 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Granite Guru

I wanted to keep the Stock Taillight (don't mind the flush round trailer lights, but wanted something different).
So I went with the Overkill Engineering. They are 3/16" thick. While the fit on the corners is Awesome, I was lied to by what's her name about the West Coast Stamp shit (she told me they no longer did it, but it was stamped out when I received them).

2008 RUBICON 2DR
TERAFLEX 3" Full FlexArm Lift
JKS ACOS Adjustable Coil Spacers (5.5" Total)
FOX 2.0 Resivour Shocks
20"x10" Rockathon Beadlocks
39.5x16.50R20 Pitbull Rocker Bias Ply
Total Height 83.25"
post #18 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Didn't someone have issues with psc armor cracking last year? The psc and aev, what I've seen looks great but they are nowhere as thick as rr. I would like to see metal cloak but theirs isn't one piece but i know they make great products. I guess my rr looks and fits great because Kenny installed them but then again most of their 4 door products where made using my jk.
post #19 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Real pleased with My Poison Spyder crusher corners!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #20 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_rubi View Post
Didn't someone have issues with psc armor cracking last year? The psc and aev, what I've seen looks great but they are nowhere as thick as rr. I would like to see metal cloak but theirs isn't one piece but i know they make great products. I guess my rr looks and fits great because Kenny installed them but then again most of their 4 door products where made using my jk.
if I was to go that thick I would go aluminum but I have no desire to shell out like $700+ for a set of custom ones with no holes or slots
post #21 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm liking the feedback about the ORE rear skins!!

Sent via your mom on a tricycle wearing a paper crown from Burger King

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #22 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Granite Guru

I haven't seen these in production form yet, but they look nice
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo....ductid=CNR8012
I also don't know if they will do them without the cut outs.

TNT Customs
Genright
Poison Spyder
Or-Fab
River Raider
Mastercraft
Spod
M.O.R.E.
Goodyear
Diablosport
post #23 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

The only 2 that fit to what I would call 'factory standards' are the AEVs and the PS ones (but I've haven't seen the 2 door version in person yet). I'm going with a set of PS ones.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 09:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I havethe steel versions from River Raider, they took some massaging with clamps, but the fit pretty damn well, and we used nutserts and some tapped plate steel to attach them.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #25 of 121 Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_rubi View Post
What it really comes down to is whether or not you want to run a tube fender flare and NO bumper. You'd be hard pressed to damage a PSC corner unless you don't have additional armor in the rear. I've seen Stupidfaces setup and it's bitchin. Which, by the way, I want him to build me some aluminum ifront fender armor. Anyhow Doc, you could take any of these products and fab them to your liking, however, AEV & PSC are the best bang/fit for the buck. BTW, I'd appreciate it if you'd PM me about some ram steer questions if you find the time....titty's!

07 Rescue Green Unlimited
Upcoming projects - Much needed TLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode