Someone recommend me a winch for a 2 door jk on 37s! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Someone recommend me a winch for a 2 door jk on 37s!

Someone recommend me a winch i have a 2 door jk on 37s. Ive looked at warn,smitybilt,superwinch etc. I have a budget of about $800-850 for a winch. I found myself needing a winch the other day and of coarse i was by myself. I got lucky and got out though but this will be my next mod after my tax return comes in. I would perfer a synthetic line also thanks alot. I will post up some pics of the after math in a sec.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

You can buy a lower end Warn with synthetic already on it for around that cost. Or a Superwinch is also a good bet.

Unless you are in a hurry, watch the used market as Warn 9.5ti go for around 7ish used in good condition and then you can buy your own rope to spool it and be in the ballpark price range you're looking to spend and have an awesome winch.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #3 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Rock God

I have a Superwinch 8500 and I love it. Got it from Amazon for under $300

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Few pics of me wheeling and the aftermath

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
You can buy a lower end Warn with synthetic already on it for around that cost. Or a Superwinch is also a good bet.

Unless you are in a hurry, watch the used market as Warn 9.5ti go for around 7ish used in good condition and then you can buy your own rope to spool it and be in the ballpark price range you're looking to spend and have an awesome winch.
I was looking at the vr8000 and vr10000 are these good winches? What would be the better one to go with for my 2 door?
post #6 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeeJaySeven+JKU View Post
I have a Superwinch 8500 and I love it. Got it from Amazon for under $300
Nice price ive heard nothing bad about super winch they are very affordable.
post #7 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

I'm thinking about getting the VR10,000-S although I think the VR8000-S will be fine.

Jason

http://www.trailconcepts.com/warn-vr-8000s/

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #8 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lady View Post
Nice price ive heard nothing bad about super winch they are very affordable.
With your budget you can get a nice solid bumper to mount it too also. When I was shopping, a buddy of mine recommended the Superwinch. He has it on a 4 door with 37's. Sure a Warn is better but the Superwinch works in a pinch.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
post #9 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I'm thinking about getting the VR10,000-S although I think the VR8000-S will be fine.

Jason

http://www.trailconcepts.com/warn-vr-8000s/
I know a guy that is running the vr8000 on a 4 door with 1 tons and 39.5s and he says it works great. Im like you though for only $100 more you can get the vr10000
post #10 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I was looking at the vr8000 and vr10000 are these good winches? What would be the better one to go with for my 2 door?
Those basically replaced the m8000 winch which many people love. Those also have your rope so I'd say they would be a good choice for you. I know a few people that have the vr8000s and they are happy with them, but that exact series is kind of new so I can't really say long term. However, they are Warns so they will likely last. If something does happen, they have great warranty and exceptional customer service so I wouldn't think twice about getting one. They are, however, on the lower end of the scale for Warns. This doesn't mean they are bad, but they are a bit slower when no load is on the line. This isn't really a big deal.

Also, an 8k would be sufficient. The 10k just has lower gearing, but otherwise is identical. The rule of thumb is 1.5X the weight of your rig, so 8 k is almost double.

post #11 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have a recon 10.5 with synthetic that I got for 429. It has worked awesome so far. My only complaint is my brake wasn't holding under super hard pull.
If I had the dough I would probably get a warn also. Hard to beat there warranty.
Just pulled someone out of a big ole ditch other day.

You smell that?

Last edited by Rottenbelly; 02-08-2012 at 04:19 PM.
post #12 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
JKO Addict!

For cheap money, I ran a Harbor Frieght 10k for many years. Slow as shit, but ALWAYS worked. After about 5 years, the solenoids starting sticking but that happens with any winch that lives on a daily driver that lives in a climate with salted roads.

I have a buddy who went through a few of those Recons because the motors would die with only a few pulls, so I can't recommend those. Many people have reported decent things about Smittys, but again, I have two friends with those that have had numerous issues, so I wouldn't go that route. With the VR series winches being priced under $500 and even the nicer Superwinches being priced so well, it's hard to ignore those options.

Seeing as we are posting photos... This photo doesn't do it justice, but this was about two weeks ago. I led a group though a trail that wasn't scouted previously and had a layer of ice followed by anywhere from about 6 to 14 inches of icy snow on top. It took about 5 hours to get a group of 11 rigs through about 2.5 miles. The trail went into a valley and snaked around trees back up the hills. The hills were steep enough you could sled down them on your ass involuntarily if you were careful. As the leader breaking trail, I basically had to winch the entire trail. Times like this is where having the faster line speed sure is nice. As max pull weight, all winches are only pulling about 5 to 7 ft a minute, but at anything less than max pull weight, the higher end winches sure are nice! If I were breaking trail with my old HF winch pulling at no more than 7 ft a minute, I think I would have cried. lol

Last edited by oz97tj; 02-08-2012 at 04:08 PM.
post #13 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 04:06 PM
JKO Addict!

With that budget, I think I'd be looking at a 10,000lb X2o with a synthetic rope. I've had good success with my Smittybilt XRC, I think the waterproofing of the X2o is a great idea. I compared a badlands harbor freight to a smittybilt x2o, looks almost identical.

I have a 12,000lb winch on a 2dr, it's extremely excessive..however I have yet to say "damn, I wish I didn't get such a large capacity winch". It works fine, slow, low current draw...has yet to give me a reason not to like it.

Overall it comes down to what you feel like spending, what brand will make you feel confident in it and how often you use it. ALL of them make a winch that will work, some absolutely have a better reputation...some just have poor quality control. If I needed a winch every weekend, a high end Warn would be on my Jeep. I "need" a winch once every few months it seems, my Smitty does fine and has proved itself to be reliable to me. I feel their shaky reputation seems to be due to poor quality control, some of their units just plain don't work...while others seem to last several years trouble free. I have seen issues with the solenoid packs, by Spring I'll likely order a solenoid pack and just replace it to make it a non-issue for awhile (which it has not been an issue).

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 02-08-2012 at 04:24 PM.
post #14 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
For cheap money, I ran a Harbor Frieght 10k for many years. Slow as shit, but ALWAYS worked. After about 5 years, the solenoids starting sticking but that happens with any winch that lives on a daily driver that lives in a climate with salted roads.

I have a buddy who went through a few of those Recons because the motors would die with only a few pulls, so I can't recommend those. Many people have reported decent things about Smittys, but again, I have two friends with those that have had numerous issues, so I wouldn't go that route. With the VR series winches being priced under $500 and even the nicer Superwinches being priced so well, it's hard to ignore those options.

Seeing as we are posting photos... This photo doesn't do it justice, but this was about two weeks ago. I led a group though a trail that wasn't scouted previously and had a layer of ice followed by anywhere from about 6 to 14 inches of icy snow on top. It took about 5 hours to get a group of 11 rigs through about 2.5 miles. The trail went into a valley and snaked around trees back up the hills. The hills were steep enough you could sled down them on your ass involuntarily if you were careful. As the leader breaking trail, I basically had to winch the entire trail. Times like this is where having the faster line speed sure is nice. As max pull weight, all winches are only pulling about 5 to 7 ft a minute, but at anything less than max pull weight, the higher end winches sure are nice! If I were breaking trail with my old HF winch pulling at no more than 7 ft a minute, I think I would have cried. lol
You never said, but what winch are you running now? Is it still HF? Thanks

OR-Fab tire/can carrier, OR-Fab hooped stubby bumper.
TrailMaster Stealth Long Arm 4.5 inch (BAD ASS LIFT)
35 BFG KM2 on BlackRock D windows
post #15 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrwilkinson View Post
You never said, but what winch are you running now? Is it still HF? Thanks
Warn 9.5ti with synthetic rope.

post #16 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 04:21 PM
Wheeler

^^^Thanks.

OR-Fab tire/can carrier, OR-Fab hooped stubby bumper.
TrailMaster Stealth Long Arm 4.5 inch (BAD ASS LIFT)
35 BFG KM2 on BlackRock D windows
post #17 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for all the replys and photos guys I'm leaning towards the vr line of warn just have to narrow done weather I want the 8000 or 10000 with syn rope. I don't need a winch all the time but when I do I need it to work.

post #18 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

No one mentioned Engo. I got one for $309 shipped with steel cable. 12k. Hasn't failed yet. Their warranty matches Warns. Everyone says good things about them.

I'm all about not overspending to have a cool 'W' on the front of my Jeep.
post #19 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 616fun View Post
No one mentioned Engo. I got one for $309 shipped with steel cable. 12k. Hasn't failed yet. Their warranty matches Warns. Everyone says good things about them.

I'm all about not overspending to have a cool 'W' on the front of my Jeep.
This. I got the 9000 pound with synthetic rope for $409 shipped. Lifetime warranty on hard parts, 1 yr warranty on electronics. The winch itself is relatively light weight, they whole assembly with synthetic rope was only about 60 pounds. I havent gotten to really use mine yet as I jsut put it on 2 weeks ago. But I did respool it under load by pulling my jeep to a tree in the yard, and it performed flawlessly.

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #20 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 05:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thanks for all the replys and photos guys I'm leaning towards the vr line of warn just have to narrow done weather I want the 8000 or 10000 with syn rope. I don't need a winch all the time but when I do I need it to work.

Go 10k, never know when you may have to pull a full size or something. Lower current draw as well. Just my 2cents!

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #21 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Go 10k, never know when you may have to pull a full size or something. Lower current draw as well. Just my 2cents!
Part of me agrees and part of me doesn't. When I had my HF, I had a 10k because I figured the extra power would strain it less and it would live longer. With the Warn, I don't think I would be concerned with that. Reading the specs on the two winches, they are identical other than the gearing, so the 10k would be slower. Most pulls aren't anywhere close to max capacity, even with heavy rigs. Considering the $100 premium for the 10k over the 8k and the slightly slower line speeds, I'd go for the 8k. In a any decent winch accessory bag is at least one pulley block for angled pulls and such. This is also a way to easily double the pulling capacity of the winch.

post #22 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Part of me agrees and part of me doesn't. When I had my HF, I had a 10k because I figured the extra power would strain it less and it would live longer. With the Warn, I don't think I would be concerned with that. Reading the specs on the two winches, they are identical other than the gearing, so the 10k would be slower. Most pulls aren't anywhere close to max capacity, even with heavy rigs. Considering the $100 premium for the 10k over the 8k and the slightly slower line speeds, I'd go for the 8k. In a any decent winch accessory bag is at least one pulley block for angled pulls and such. This is also a way to easily double the pulling capacity of the winch.
It's more than fine to disagree on that, it's certainly not required. I feel the $100 would be well spent but it's up to everyone. I've definitely seen loaded up JKUs with 8000lb winches on the nose, seems to work fine for them. I don't get wrapped up in being concerned with line speed, that has yet to really affect my opinion of any winch...a hurry is something I am not in when it's time to pull cable. A snatch block is a must for anyone with a winch, I run around with 2 heavy duty snatch blocks just in case. Something will move! lol

post #23 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
It's more than fine to disagree on that, it's certainly not required. I feel the $100 would be well spent but it's up to everyone. I've definitely seen loaded up JKUs with 8000lb winches on the nose, seems to work fine for them. I don't get wrapped up in being concerned with line speed, that has yet to really affect my opinion of any winch...a hurry is something I am not in when it's time to pull cable. A snatch block is a must for anyone with a winch, I run around with 2 heavy duty snatch blocks just in case. Something will move! lol
Don't take my statements as saying you're wrong either. Not at all. Like you mentioned before, it's what the owner of the jeep finds most usefull. I too have seen some damn heavy rigs work well with 8 k winches. I've also seen Samurais with 10k winches. To me, it's not that I'm in a hurry when winching but it is nice. Consider this; often times when winch pulls are needed, you really only need a few feet of pull to get over or through whatever was holding you up, but in order to get a good anchor point, you pull out 30 to 50 foot of rope. You do your pull, then you are now sitting still while spooling your rope back onto the drum. With my old HF winch, that literally took forever! It's speed, unloaded, was still only like 7 ft per min. So 50ft of rope was over 7 minutes! My 9.5ti on the other hand, has a 63 ft per min unloaded speed, so that same 50 ft gets spooled in in under a minute. That sure is nice! Another thing to consider is if you keep driving to get over the rough spot once you are freed by your winch. With my old winch, I would run over my rope in very short order unless someone was out there keeping it out of the way. With the 9.5ti, I can continue spooling and it'll keep it out of my way without issue.

It should be noted though that my old HF winch and my Warn are very opposite ends of the spectrum (one being one of the slowest on the market, to the other being 2nd fastest on the market). Considering the VR8000 and the VR10000, the speeds are within a 1 or 2 ft per min for comparable loads, so the difference for someone buying it should be the cost, and if they think they'll every need the extra oomph of the 10k.

post #24 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Warn M8000 or Superwinch EPi9.0

Don't get any cheap winch. Get a good one from the getgo and you'll have it a very long time.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #25 of 52 Old 02-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Granite Guru

I have smittybilt XRC 8 comp series now for about 2 years and you get what you pay for..
In the next couple weeks I will be getting Warn 9.5cti...

If I had known back then I would have bought Warn... last time my shittbilt stopped working I had to spend two days cleaning the mud out of the gears...

Good luck with whatever you get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode