Detroit TruTracs Front and Rear - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 Old 02-07-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Detroit TruTracs Front and Rear

Just wanted to gather up some opinions and experiences...

I have a 2011 JK Sport that currently runs factory open diffs - Dana 30 up front, Dana 44 in the rear. I've regeared to 5.13's. I have an automatic and live in Michigan so I see all four seasons. My JK is a daily driver.

I'm interested in putting Detroit Trutracs in the front and rear axles, mainly because they're hassle and maintenance free, cheaper to get than ARB selectables and suits my driving style. I get past most wheeling stuff on open diffs so the LSD's are just going to help out that much more.

So my question is - do you run LSD's in the front and rear, and do you drive a lot on-road too? Does it only engage on the fronts if you shift to 4 wheel drive? Overall, would you recommend them?

I appreciate the help

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 02-07-2012, 02:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm putting a Truetrac in the front and leaving the stock rear LSD alone for now. Should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works later this month. I talked to a lot of differential people, wheelers, etc.. and got lot's of opinions. Seemed like the Truetrac was the one that most people recommended. That's why I went with it. Plus I didn't want to sink a ton of money into a D30. I'll sleeve and gusset this one and sell it when I find a good deal on a Rubi take off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #3 of 72 Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Rock God

im running arb front and rear in a 30/44 setup and i couldnt have been happier with this setup. i don't see much snow though. but as it is my dd, it's very nice to have selectables as an option.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
Wheeler

I ran the Detroit Truetracs front and rear and they were awesome. The front is only engaged when you are in 4WD and they work at any speed. Very driver friendly and the best combination for snow and icy conditions IMO.
post #5 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerChris View Post
Just wanted to gather up some opinions and experiences...

I have a 2011 JK Sport that currently runs factory open diffs - Dana 30 up front, Dana 44 in the rear. I've regeared to 5.13's. I have an automatic and live in Michigan so I see all four seasons. My JK is a daily driver.

I'm interested in putting Detroit Trutracs in the front and rear axles, mainly because they're hassle and maintenance free, cheaper to get than ARB selectables and suits my driving style. I get past most wheeling stuff on open diffs so the LSD's are just going to help out that much more.

So my question is - do you run LSD's in the front and rear, and do you drive a lot on-road too? Does it only engage on the fronts if you shift to 4 wheel drive? Overall, would you recommend them?

I appreciate the help
I am a big fan of this set up, I ran open / open (well factory lsd in the rear, same thing) for two years and now the Truetracs front and rear since August. I wheel a couple times a month, fairly hard sometimes, in mud, slippery rock, snow / ice, water etc and never feel like I am lacking traction. I no longer have to rely soley on momentum to get over or through obstacles anymore, I can crawl. The only times I haven't been able to get through an obstacle is when I get high centered, and when that happens most of the time even lockers wouldn't have done any good.

I like not having to turn the selectables on and off, I LOVE that they are there on the road in snow and ice, and that they just sit there and work when I need them. I think ARBs are great, but I can't remember going out on a ride where someone didn't have an issue with them engaging, air line issue, seals, compressor, fuses etc. ARBs are awesome lockers but I just began to realize how much people have to mess with them lately.

Trust me this would be an excellent set up for you, your conditions are almost identical to mine. To bad you didn't put these in when you re-geared because you are doing it all over again. The front is free wheeling when not in 4wd.
post #6 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

River2c and jollydodger - thanks for the positive feedbacks! I like the always there convenience of autos too.

Jollydodger - yeah I wish I did too. Back then I was thinking ARB lockers and a $2500 additional cost was too much to swallow. Live and learn I guess.

Jeeping: The art of getting dirty and going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
post #7 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 AM
JKowners Vendor

I think they are a great budget minded option. Really helps out in a lot of cases and does not effect the DD aspect of your JK.

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #8 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
I think they are a great budget minded option. Really helps out in a lot of cases and does not effect the DD aspect of your JK.

-Jason
It's not really a budget thing, it's a using the right tool for your conditions thing. To put these in a rig that never sees winter driving conditions, and only rock crawls off road, then these are terrible choice even if Detroit gave them to you for free.

The positive effect on daily winter driving without the adverse effects of an auto locker is another big selling point.
post #9 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Rock God

If if its not a budget thing then why not get a Arb locker? Would be the best of both worlds hands down.
post #10 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 08:20 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie945 View Post
If if its not a budget thing then why not get a Arb locker? Would be the best of both worlds hands down.
Dead wrong. I'm not going to bother re-explaining this, some people don't get it or don't bother reading.
post #11 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just as long as you realize that Tru-tracs are not lockers, and are not a good sustitute for lockers. They are no better than open diffs in big rocks and ruts. But can be fantastic in the mud, dirt, and snow.

The trutracs are by for the best limited slip out there, due to the clutchless design.
post #12 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Just as long as you realize that Tru-tracs are not lockers, and are not a good sustitute for lockers. They are no better than open diffs in big rocks and ruts. But can be fantastic in the mud, dirt, and snow.

The trutracs are by for the best limited slip out there, due to the clutchless design.
Says maybe some one who hasn't run them? I ran a Truetrac up front after my lock rite blew up in my comp rig, once you get wheel spin and get the lsd to engage as long as you keep power to it it will keep sending power to both wheels. Is it as good as a locker? No, but to say it is only as good as an open diff is ridiculous.

post #13 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Granite Guru

Truetracs have a bias ratio of 3.5:1, or a 55% locking factor. So for every 100 pounds of traction the low traction tire has, 350 pounds of torque is transffered to the good traction tire. Since Truetracs have 100 pounds of preload there will always be "some" torque being sent to the good traction wheel even without any brake modulation.

An open differential has 0 percent locking factor, a locker has 100 percent locking factor.
post #14 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Rock God

I found this video in the past I will repost it. This guy is running a true trac up front. Read some of the comments cause seems he deleted the description.

Mikes Cruiser HillClimb "PART1" Brunswick 15th AUGUST 2009 - YouTube
post #15 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I found this video in the past I will repost it. This guy is running a true trac up front. Read some of the comments cause seems he deleted the description.

And your point is what? You found a 2 1/2 year old video with a vehicle that may or may not have a Truetrac LSD that may or may not be broken?

Last edited by Jollydodger; 02-08-2012 at 03:07 PM.
post #16 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Rock God

Point is, true trac is almost the same as being open. Who wants to have to press the brakes to get both tires to spin. And if you read the comments you will see its a true trac up front he is using. You guys do what you want but for a little more money you can get a real locker like ARB.... Keep the factory LSD in the rear and put a selectable locker in the front. That would make a great DD.

Edit: this is a good example of the true trac. 1.39 the rear driver side stops. Takes a little brake pressure to get it spinning again. And the larger the tire the less affective the true trac becomes. If remember right I read its only good up to a 35" tire.
2 Detroit Truetrac Diff's in Action - YouTube

Last edited by frankie945; 02-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.
post #17 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Point is, true trac is almost the same as being open. Who wants to have to press the brakes to get both tires to spin. And if you read the comments you will see its a true trac up front he is using. You guys do what you want but for a little more money you can get a real locker like ARB.... Keep the factory LSD in the rear and put a selectable locker in the front. That would make a great DD.
You need to get you head out your ass and pay attention to the facts, not youtube.

I personally wouldn't want to lock a D30 with 5.13 because at the very least you'll be going through a lot of shafts. If you put chromolys on then you are probably going to be going through a lot of ring and pinions. Who wants to be replacing those all the time? The factory Trac-lock is clutch based and the clutch packs burn up in no time off road when one wheel spins and the other doesn't.

It seems to me if you want to be an ARB fanboy and stir things up at least you should know a little about what you're speaking of.

Here's the point someone like you is never going to be able to comprehend, some people don't want lockers because it doesn't serve their purpose. Why would you run selectable lockers when automatics are so much better? They're stronger, no air lines or seals, no electrical connections, no compressors, no buttons to push, no fuses to change and they are half the price.
post #18 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Rock God

The fact is, true trac is not a locker. Nothing is unbreakable rather it's locked or not. And I guess the video's are not real either. I'll see you at the mall.
post #19 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
If remember right I read its only good up to a 35" tire.
Warrantied up to 37's. The 'older' ones were warrantied to 33's, I believe. Ran the older style on my full size dodge on 37's for over a decade with no issues.

Quote:
Point is, true trac is almost the same as being open.
Not my experience. Have you actually used them, or are you just regurgitating something you have seen on the internet? I am not in to hardcore rocks, so I noticed just about zero difference between front/rear detroits and front TT/rear detroit and front/rear TT's when offroad. And for my needs as a daily driver/only vehicle and part time trail rig, in an area that sees winter weather, the truetracs win hands down.

As far as cost goes, you are looking at around $800 for a pair of TT's, and closer to 2 grand for the arb's with air. For those who need full lockers, arb's are a great choice, but for those that just need something more-than-open, truetracs are hard to beat.
post #20 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Wheeler

Quote:

Edit: this is a good example of the true trac. 1.39 the rear driver side stops. Takes a little brake pressure to get it spinning again. And the larger the tire the less affective the true trac becomes. If remember right I read its only good up to a 35" tire.
Couldn't be further from the truth. The Truetracs are far superior to an open differential in any condition including rocks (BLD assist) and much safer than a locker in winter conditions. Unless you've run one, you are just making ignorant comments based on bad information.
post #21 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

I think most of the tru-trac nay-sayers are forgetting that the JK has BLD traction control... even in 4-low.
The tru-trac w/ BLD work together like peanut butter and jelly. Simply works well and they enhance each other's function.

I run a tru-trac in the rear of my wife's unlimited and I've yet to see it not transfer power to the wheel with the most traction when I'm following her on the trail it really does a good job and she doesn't have to think about a thing.

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #22 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Throwing a wrench in the current debate - how about Aussie lockers front and rear. Self install and low price is very tempting for me.

Same difference? Or real difference?

post #23 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerChris View Post
Throwing a wrench in the current debate - how about Aussie lockers front and rear. Self install and low price is very tempting for me.

Same difference? Or real difference?
When I was shopping around last month, you can't get Aussie's anywhere right now. But even then, the general consensus from every shop & fabricator I talked to said the Truetracs are the way to go.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #24 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Granite Guru

From your initial post, I got the feeling that you were trying to steer clear of auto-lockers because you have some winter weather going on?

Great price, with the same negatives as running detroits. More stress on that front 30 than a truetrac, the handling quirks take some getting used to, there are some indications that they wear out under full-time use in rear axles. And i don't believe aussie makes one for the rear d44, so you would need to look into how to get it installed?
post #25 of 72 Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Truetracs are not good for rockcrawling when 1 or 2 wheels are off the ground, it's just not a locker. I would just get a good locker in rear for now!

2014 Rubicon on the build!

Last edited by RODICON; 02-09-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode