2012 Exhaust Mod - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-04-2012, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thumbs up 2012 Exhaust Mod

I went to a local muffler shop today and got a new muffler. I asked them if it's possible to get rid of the big OE muffler, because it was just getting beat up, and replace it with one that was almost as quite. The last thing I want to do is to turn this into a "rice rocket." They cut out the resonator and put it after the Flowmaster HushPower 2, and it surprisingly sounds close to stock.

(For whatever reason I keep getting a "Server Error" when I try to upload the picture. I guess I'll just have to try again later.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I think I got it...
Attached Images

post #3 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Rock God

Video clip or it didn't happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Granite Guru

So the factory muffler the size of a trash can is gone? Could we get a picture of the tailpipe exit location? Thinking of doing the same. Thanks, and looks great!

Brent
post #5 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Wheeler

Nice. I wonder what it would sound like w/o the res? Does anyone know what dia the oe pipe is?
post #6 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Rock God

I replaced the resonator with a glasspack and a turn down and its a little throaty but not loud at all i like it alot.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Rock God

Here is what I did. Also don't waste money on exhaust spacers just cut the flanges off measure and weld in a peice of pipe. No exhaust leaks and works great

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanralston07 View Post
Video clip or it didn't happen

That would be one boring ass video clip, but i understand where you're going with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent13 View Post
So the factory muffler the size of a trash can is gone? Could we get a picture of the tailpipe exit location? Thinking of doing the same. Thanks, and looks great!

Yup! That thing that spans from on side to the other, and blocks the view of my MetalCloak suspension...adios! It pretty much looks like Black Lady's, but mine turns down at the rear bumper instead of behind the muffler. I'd take a picture for you, but I'm limited to four more pictures, and I'd rather use them in a post about lift, bumpers, wheels & tires...coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya View Post
Nice. I wonder what it would sound like w/o the res? Does anyone know what dia the oe pipe is?

That's a pretty subjective question, and I'm sure the answers will be the same. I found that out when I went to the first muffler shop. They sold me a 40 Series Flowmaster and told me it was going to be real quite...it sounded like SHIT!!! It's one of the loudest mufflers Flowmaster makes. It was terrible! You could here me coming a mile away, but that was without the Resonator. That's mine opinion, but I've read some other posts from people on here, and they really love it. (Huh, maybe I should make a video so people can hear what this setup sounds like...I know Ryan, you're right.) It depends on the sound you're going for. I wanted to keep it as quite as possible.

I think I heard the guys in the shop say it's 2.25", but I just measured the inlet on the OE muffler, and it's 2.5" I.D.

Last edited by NorCalRubicon; 02-06-2012 at 04:57 PM.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Here are a couple videos, not the greatest, but hopefully they do the trick...

Flowmaster Hushpower 2 (part 1) - YouTube

Apparently, you can't rev the engine after using the remote start feature.

Flowmaster Hushpower 2 (part 2) - YouTube

Last edited by NorCalRubicon; 02-06-2012 at 11:45 PM.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Rock God

Yours is sounds like stock norcalrubicon good job man. Mine is a little louder than that but I don't mind I would post a video but have no idea how to.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
post #11 of 23 Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

that doesnt sound too bad. pretty close to my 40 series on my 3.8....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Rock God

Norcalribcon, it sounds great!!!!!!!! How does it sound while driving? any interior resignation vs stock?

How close is that to your evap can? I had to move mine over 2" towards the pssd so the driveshaft would not hit when flexed up, so I'm trying to decide how to mount a new exhaust. I wnat mine quiet like stock but high clearance like yours is set up. i tried the AFE setup and did not care for it...too loud, so onto the next plan.

Thanks in advance,
Tim.

2016 JKU
post #13 of 23 Old 02-08-2012, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Rated View Post
Norcalribcon, it sounds great!!!!!!!! How does it sound while driving? any interior resignation vs stock?

How close is that to your evap can? I had to move mine over 2" towards the pssd so the driveshaft would not hit when flexed up, so I'm trying to decide how to mount a new exhaust. I wnat mine quiet like stock but high clearance like yours is set up. i tried the AFE setup and did not care for it...too loud, so onto the next plan.

Thanks in advance,
Tim.

I like the sound of it. To me it seems natural for this vehicle, and I can still hear the tires over the exhaust while driving. Having said that, the BFG KM2 are a pretty quite tire. The second video that I posted (part 2) I'm actually backing the jeep up the driveway and into the garage, so it's under some load. After I backed it in, you can see I rolled up all the windows hope to show you guys what it sounds like.

It's two to three inches from the evap canister. I think it would still work, you might just have to rotate the resonator if there's not enough room. You can also try setting it up like the factory, and putting the HushPower after the resonator. Although, I don't know how much that's going to affect the sound...if it does at all.

I would definitely recommend this setup for people who want to keep a "factory like" sound for the exhaust, and/or people wanting to get rid of the big OE muffler.

post #14 of 23 Old 07-29-2012, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

WARNING!!!

Do not make the same mistake I just made! After crushing my stock evap skid out on the trail, I ordered a PSC Evap Skid to replace it. However, because of the way I setup the exhaust, the PSC skid won't fit, and I now have an brand new 18lbs. paper weight. Faaawk!!! Hopefully this helps someone else from making the same mistake.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Wheeler

where can I get a resonator?

I know this is an old thread, but I have an 08 JK (not 4 door), and I don't think mine has a resonator, just the huge stock muffler. I like the way this one sounds, and wondered if I can just get a resonator to add, and if so, which should I get?

Thanks!

-randy
post #16 of 23 Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update...in my new Jeep I went with a 50 series Flowmaster, and it was installed in the same spot as the factory muffler...so after the resonator. I think it sounds better than the Hushpower setup that I had above.

I wonder if there's not enough room on a 2 door to have the resonator...? But if there is, get the stock one...or whichever one will fit.
post #17 of 23 Old 07-23-2015, 12:05 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The 2 door doesn't have a resonator on the 07-11 with the 3.8... I did the same thing with my two door, a three chamber, 4 inch case Flowmaster tucked up as high as it would go in the factory location. Sounds great and you can't see it from behind the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-23-2015, 09:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
The 2 door doesn't have a resonator on the 07-11 with the 3.8... I did the same thing with my two door, a three chamber, 4 inch case Flowmaster tucked up as high as it would go in the factory location. Sounds great and you can't see it from behind the vehicle.
4 doors dont have resonators either. i removed my muffler, all there is after the header is 2 cats and thats it.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
post #19 of 23 Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Uh...my '12 & '15 both have one.
post #20 of 23 Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRubicon View Post
Uh...my '12 & '15 both have one.
All 2012+ have a garbage can size resonator.

I removed the exhaust loop and resonator and am running true dual exhaust with a Flowmaster HP-2 at the end of each, bumping out before the rear axle. I'll figure out an H-pipe eventually, but that is a winter project.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post

I removed the exhaust loop and resonator and am running true dual exhaust with a Flowmaster HP-2 at the end of each, bumping out before the rear axle. I'll figure out an H-pipe eventually, but that is a winter project.
my '13 resonator is pretty small. Hardly garbage can size.

Its not a fashion show
post #22 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invest2m4 View Post

my '13 resonator is pretty small. Hardly garbage can size.
Well, since we both have 13s, it's the same one. It is easily 2x the size of an HP-2 muffler. Regardless, I had no chance of fitting that pontoon under my Jeep.
post #23 of 23 Old 07-25-2015, 04:32 PM
Granite Guru

Do you have pictures? When you say sounds better do you mean like stock? Deeper? Thanks.

12 JKUR w/J30 Top
05 KJ CRD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode