new Warn Elite Bumper - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

new Warn Elite Bumper

So I picked up my new Warn Elite bumper. Ordered it from amazon.com ($719) and as I am a prime member and that means 2 day shipping is free! The install took much longer than I had anticipated and few issues popped up, but overall I am happy with the bumper. It does seem to be made quite well, good packing, clean welds and flawless powder coating. But holy sh!t it was tough getting some of the bolts and nuts in as you have to access from some very small places (mainly mounting the winch).

I wasn't sure I was going to like the grill guard, but I actually do. You can reuse your factory fogs, which I am at the moment doing; but they sit kinda recessed look a bit odd to me, nothing like the images Warn has on the website with their lights which appear to me to be pretty flush with the bumper.

1. probably my biggest grip is that I cannot seem to get all 4 bolts for the winch itself to line up to the plate on which it mounts. Plus, it is super tough to access this from underneath as there is a horizontal frame rail right in the way. Obviously, I haven't given up on this, but right now, the winch is on by 2 bolts so no winching for me until I get all 4 in.

2. Mine did not have any nuts included for mounting the trim around the fog lights; so i just didn't bother installing it. The trim has no functional purpose anyway.

3. Speaking of fog lights, the instructions say you only have to lengthen the drivers side wiring (and everything you need to do this is included) but I found that I had to lengthen both sides and didn't end up using the crimp connector but soldered the wiring instead. No big deal really.

4. The instructions say nothing about this...but apparently (from Warn's customer service) the 9.5ti is supposed to be mounted offset. I tried it like this and it looked really weird to me. A centered and offset fairlead plate is included. I ended up grinding a fair amount from the passenger side frame (not the frame itself though) from so that I could get my winch centered.

5. A vacuum canister relocation bracket is included fro those of you like me who have a 2012.

Yeah, yeah, shitty pictures. I will try and get some better ones tomorrow. And not that it surprised me, but I ended up having to install 2" spacer up front to make up for the sag and rake. Overall, I am pretty stoked on this bumper, it has everything I wanted for alot less than anything else out there that I like.

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon

Last edited by mtnmedic; 02-03-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Rock God

What was the shipping weight? The flare extensions are a risky design element- wouldn't look right with Bushwackers or Xenons. How is the approach angle?

Damn the cannons, full speed ahead! |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Wheeler

Thanks for the pics. Look forward to more.

This and LOD are the ones I'm trying to decide on. Suprised to hear that it took a 2" spacer to get the sag out. I've heard that the weight of the bumper is 101 lbs. Do you know how much your winch weighs? I am planning on an Engo winch which is about 53 lbs using synthetic. I wonder if this is the reason for the 2" instead of a 1" that I would like to use.

This is the first I have heard of issues with the winch mounting bolts. Although this is only the 2nd one that I have seen any feedback on. I like the looks of this bumper and the cost. The LOD is about 11 lbs lighter but the cost is more. Decisions, decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
What was the shipping weight? The flare extensions are a risky design element- wouldn't look right with Bushwackers or Xenons. How is the approach angle?
Perhaps, but no more risky than the AEV, ARB or scores of other bumpers that have the extension flares. I have no intention of getting bushwacker's or the like, so for me the point is moot. I have no idea about the approach angle.

post #5 of 5 Old 02-04-2012, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDakota View Post
Thanks for the pics. Look forward to more.

This and LOD are the ones I'm trying to decide on. Suprised to hear that it took a 2" spacer to get the sag out. I've heard that the weight of the bumper is 101 lbs. Do you know how much your winch weighs? I am planning on an Engo winch which is about 53 lbs using synthetic. I wonder if this is the reason for the 2" instead of a 1" that I would like to use.

This is the first I have heard of issues with the winch mounting bolts. Although this is only the 2nd one that I have seen any feedback on. I like the looks of this bumper and the cost. The LOD is about 11 lbs lighter but the cost is more. Decisions, decisions.
I definitely did not need the whole 2" spacer to take the sag out, but that was what was available locally as I did not think about that early enough to order and besides, High Country 4x4 in the Denver area gave me very competitive price. My guess is that 1" would have been perfect for the winch and bumper and 1.5" would have been even better to take out the rake with the bumper and winch. I'll just have to live with 2 inches until I can get my AEV lift.

As to the weight, the box and shipping info said the shipping weight was 101 lbs, so the weight of the bumper is probably about 95 lbs and I have a warn 9.5ti which I think weighs in at about 86lbs with my synthetic line.

Regarding the winch bolts not lining up, I am quite certain it is my own stupidity. It was snowing outside and cold in the garage and I was getting tired of looking at the thing already. I'll crawl underneath later this week and take another look.

Here are some more pictures

You can see in this image below how I had to notch the piece of frame which overhangs to get the winch centered.

Vacuum canister relocated and out of the way

I really like the profile of the grill guard and really glad I got the one with it included.

Last edited by mtnmedic; 02-04-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode