Axle Flange Run Out - How Much is too Much? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-01-2012, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
JPK
Rock God

Axle Flange Run Out - How Much is too Much?

My Jeep took a shot to the passenger side rear tire. F--ked her car up, but no body damage to my Jeep. However, the rear axle flange now has ~.005" (could be .05" ?) run out. Do I need to replace the shaft?

The wobble is visible.

Thanks,

JPK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Rock God

If you can visibly see the wobble, yes. Put the tire/wheel back on and obviously it'll be magnified. If the new shaft doesn't cure the wobble, time to check the housing. Usually if the housing is bent, it'll dog track.

V8 YJ/TJ hybrid on tons
post #3 of 9 Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

If I understand correctly, you got hit? Then I'd do an insurance claim and get it replaced.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
If I understand correctly, you got hit? Then I'd do an insurance claim and get it replaced.
^This

Like us on

post #5 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
JPK
Rock God

Thanks for you replies. I should have phrased my question better. The shaft will be replaced, and yes the insurance company is involved. The real question is how critical is the bent axle flange with that much run out and how soon do I need to change the shaft before either excessively wearing the tire, risk breaking the shaft, ect, ect.

Can I wait a week, or a month? My shcedule sucks right now.

JPK
post #6 of 9 Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
JPK
Rock God

Still looking for advice...
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Rock God

Without seeing it in person I would do this:
Put the rear on jack stands with the tires still on the Jeep.
Have someone put it in drive while you observe the wobble.
How bad does it look? I don't have a hard and fast figure to give you to judge what's good/bad. I know people who have driven on slightly bent shafts for months. When they did change the shafts new bearings/seals were installed on the outers.
Have you pulled the shaft to see if it's cracked or visibly bent? A visible bend strays into the "too bad to drive it" in my opinion.
Pulling the shaft is pretty easy. Two bolts for the caliper (18mm), then 4 nuts for the flange (18mm), and then an 8mm bolt for the wheel speed sensor (just push it back, not out).

Hopefully that helps. If you got hit on the side be sure to check the control arm mounts to ensure they are not bent.

Good luck,

Tim

V8 YJ/TJ hybrid on tons
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Rock God

I have bent a few axle shafts/flanges from wheelin. What ya need to do as mentioned, is jack up the rear axle. Block the front tires so it don't roll fwd, then I put it in N so the drive shaft will spin free. Then spin the rear tires and look at the rear brake caliper. If they run true, I leave it alone. If you can see the caliper wobble then your bent. It will eventually eat out a rear wheel bearing, yes I did that also, it will make a grinding howling noise that radiates throughout the jeep.

If you can see it, get it replaced under insurance or it might be time for Chromo axle shaft. Also keep in mind the housing might have gotten bent also. Time for insurance and have the dealership check it out.

2010 JKUR, 4" Pro C., 3/4" f Daystar spacer, 5.38's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Rear Ten Factory axle shafts, 1.5" wheel spacers, Pro C. 17 x 9 wheels, 38 x 14.50 x 17 MTR's, SuperChip FP, no fenders, B&M Tranny cooler, Magnaflow, Fr./ Rr. frame hacked off, HD Balls

29,000 miles as of 12/13/14
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Thanks for you replies. I should have phrased my question better. The shaft will be replaced, and yes the insurance company is involved. The real question is how critical is the bent axle flange with that much run out and how soon do I need to change the shaft before either excessively wearing the tire, risk breaking the shaft, ect, ect.

Can I wait a week, or a month? My shcedule sucks right now.

JPK
I'd personally take the check, order the parts and get to it when you had time. The bent axle will promote uneven pad wear as well on that axle.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode