Tuned my 2011 JK from RPM Extreme - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Tuned my 2011 JK from RPM Extreme

I decided to purchase the ECU and Diablo Sport Predator tuner from RPMExtreme. We all know until recently there hasn't been an option to tune 2011 JK's. I asked a ton of questions in the vendor's market place thread, it's a good reference if you want to check it out. He was quick to get back to me, and I'm sure they would be happy to answer more if you want to post up. Here's the link...
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68022

The install was very easy, here's what I did, and pictures for those of us who don't like to read

- Disconnect the battery..
- Locate the factory ECU, remove the 4 harnesses and then the three bolts holding the ECU in place.
- Install new ECU, don't forget the ground wire located on the top inside screw for the ECU
- Connect color coded wires.
- Reconnect battery. DONE!

Color Coded Plugs..

New ECU

Now the good stuff!

The ECU and tuner was shipped very fast, and the communication has been great through this forum.

The computer install was as simple as it sounds. Then I checked all my electronics I could think of including my factory lockers, sway bars, downhill assist, etc. I was told in advance my cruise control would not work (They're still working on it) but everything else has worked just fine.

Loosing cruise control isn't going to be as big of a deal as I originally expected. I mostly used it all the time because I couldn't seem to maintain highway speeds without having to pay too much attention to the damn speedo. I had difficulty maintaining a speed once overdrive kicked in, every time I looked down I was going too slow, even though it felt like my foot was buried in the gas.

My current setup is as follows.
2011 JKU Rubicon
Auto Trans
4.10's
3.5" RK Mid Arm Lift
1.25" Body Lift
Wheel Spacers
Factory rubicon wheels and tires

I thought the driveability of the jeep sucked straight from the factory when I bought it but I noticed a significant decrease in performance after the lift. The aerodynamics went from bad to worse. I felt like I was constantly on the verge of downshifting to drive 65 or 70 down the highway. Your mileage may vary, but my wife had the same opinion.

I just installed the ECU and tuner last night and haven't had a chance to do a whole lot of driving with it yet but my first impressions are great. I installed the 91 Octane performance tune because that's what our premium is here in San Diego. I haven't messed with anything about the tune at all, just put it in and drove off. I plan to work with Jon at RPMExtreme to see if there's any changes he'd like to make in the future. I do tow with my JK as well, so maybe I'll talk with him about a tune modifying shift points and things like that. Either way, it seems to hold overdrive easily now, and I can actually accelerate without downshifting! It's no sports car or anything but it drives much easier. My wife hasn't driven the Jeep yet and I haven't told her about my thoughts. After she makes her own opinions I'll share them with yall.

I'm willing to bet my Jeep drives like most other 07-10 tuned JK out there. I have to believe all the tuners are dialed in about as good as they can be with this 3.8 by now. My excitement is the ability to tune my 2011, and also the ability to make custom modifications. What a difference it makes!

I admit it's a bitch for us 2011 guys to have to pay to replace the ECU and a tuner, but I wasn't going to wait for another tuner to come out when no one has given any information about even a projected release date! I have no beef with other manufactures, I just couldn't handle the way my jeep was driving and didn't have a warm and fuzzy there would be another option anytime soon. While it sucked spending the extra cash, it is sort of nice to have the factory ECU sitting in my glove box. It'll only take me a couple minutes to get the factory computer back in.

If you guys have questions about this setup feel free to reply here or PM me if you want. If you're local in the San Diego area and want to BS about it we can probably meet up, possibly at the potential meet and greet we've been talking about.

Here's a link to the setup I purchased if anyone is interested in checking them out.
http://www.rpmextreme.com/2011%20jeep%20ecu.htm

2011 Green JK Rubicon Unlimited Purchased 10/18/2011
Previous Jeeps include a 99 TJ Rock Crawler, 74 CJ-5, 06 TJ Rubicon, and a 2001 TJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lunneborgc; 02-01-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-02-2012, 05:14 PM
Wheeler

Your wright about waiting...
I have ordered one also with a custom tune, have a ripp supercharger with 37 tires and 538 gears, but still missing kick.
Will let you know, going to install it this weekend, think everybody with a 2011 jk is waiting to long for nothing, this guy has the answer...
post #3 of 5 Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM

Any updates

So you have had the ECM and tuner for a while. Any updates? Gonna pull the trigger on this eventually just wanted to know if you have an update. I had a superchips on previous jk, is it same, better, or worse with the diablo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 PM
JKowners Vendor

Many ecu's sold and in service.
Now fully endorsed by Ripp Superchargers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #5 of 5 Old 07-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to RIPPMODS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
Many ecu's sold and in service.
Now fully endorsed by Ripp Superchargers
Yup, what he said!

RIPP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode