Driveshaft Tubing: Wall Thickness and Diameter - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Driveshaft Tubing: Wall Thickness and Diameter

Getting ready to order the drivelines for my build.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63674

It will get the 1350 treatment but I'm curious what you guys are running for tubing front and rear.

My previous experience was all heavy wall but I want to be able to drive 100MPH in this Jeep so I guess I need to thin it out a bit

Tatton advised the following:

- Front: 2" x .120 wall
- Rear: 3" x .083 wall

I am concerned about the .083" seems like it would not mix with my wheeling style too well.

Anyone have a rear shaft spec that they would recommend? (going on a Hemi 4 door with 60's)

I was thinking 2.5" x .120 or 3" x .120

Thanks for your help!

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ACE Engineering
586-806-6641
[B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 05:37 AM
Rock God

We run .120 on most things here, I would never step down to .083, that's really thin IMO regardless of the OD. If you wheel a lot and the driveshaft has the opportunity to come in contact with rocks I would consider jumping to .188. You'll need to find a very good driveshaft guy in order to be able to drive at 100mph though cause they get difficult to balance at that point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on

post #3 of 8 Old 02-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Rock God

Now that I think about it some more you may want to look into chromoly tubes, they're a little bit stronger and you can run a slightly thinner wall giving you strength but the ability to balance it well.
Also depending on your lift and 60's you may not be able to run a big tube in the rear cause the track bar will swing the driveshaft into the gas tank on droop. Standard rear shaft is 2ish" .120

Like us on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the responses.

I have a message into Taylor at Heretic Fab regarding .120 wall heat treated chromo.

Regarding hitting the tank - Is there a difference in pinion location when fully dropping put both sides vs dropping one side?

Trying to find worse case scenario.

Build Thread:

ACE Engineering
586-806-6641
[B]
post #5 of 8 Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Rock God

I only had it happen on one JK which was a 4 Door with a HP60 rear, on the lift it swung over and when the driver side drooped all the way while the passenger was at full stuff it would touch.

Like us on

post #6 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Wheeler

I run 2" .120 wall front and 3" .250 wall rear no issues at 48K

09' RUBICON UNLIMITED ( WIFES )2.5" lift, Bilstein shocks, 4.88 gears, 35" toyo m/t, 17" raceline wheels, fabtech front bumper, vision x tungsten lights, intake, modified borla exaust,

11' RUBICON UNLIMITED 4" TERAFLEX LCG, SPEED BUMPS,FRONT AND REAR DRIVLINES,37" GOODYEAR MT/R KEVLAR,17" ADDICTS,5.38's, MODIFIED XHD FRONT BUMPER, WARN CTI, WARN REAR BUMPER, INTAKE, MBRP OFFROAD EXAUST AND A WHOLE LOT MORE
post #7 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11RUBICON View Post
I run 2" .120 wall front and 3" .250 wall rear no issues at 48K

What t case?

Any balance or vibration issues at high speed?

Build Thread:

ACE Engineering
586-806-6641
[B]
post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11RUBICON View Post
3" .250 wall rear
WOW! Who fabbed that up? One heavy biatch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode