Money to Spend - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Money to Spend

My current setup is 33" BFG ATs on MB Wheels and I will be buying a 2.5" lift similar to the Rock Krawler 2.5" Max Travel kit. I already have a winch and front bumper and recovery gear.

My question is...what should I do with the $600-$700 I have to spend?

Thank You,

Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Right now I am looking at a Detroit TruTrac for the front end...I could only do one for now, is the front best to do? Or should I do rear first?
post #3 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
JKO Addict!

If ur going with the same gears ur ok but if ur going with another ratio u have to do both or disconnect the front shaft which eliminates the benefit of the locker u just bought.

Is this thing on?.....

www.4x4s-pod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
If ur going with the same gears ur ok but if ur going with another ratio u have to do both or disconnect the front shaft which eliminates the benefit of the locker u just bought.

Is this thing on?.....
Does a locker sound like the most logical thing to go with? I can't think of anything else right now, that's why I ask! Maybe a nice pistol? I've been looking at those too!
Yah, I'm not re-gearing, I am sticking to 35s at most and I am fine with the "performance" that I have on the 33s. So I will be sticking to stock gears and adding a locker to the rear eventually! Thanks for the reply/answer and I don't know what you wrote "is this thing on?" for but if its because no one is responding....I was thinking the same thing!

Thank You,
Billy
post #5 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Granite Guru

If you only do one end, I would do the rear first. Better to put money into a 44 than a 30, and I think a rear traction device performs better than up front. That is debatable though.

Also, the truetrac is a limited, not a locker. Are you talking about the detroit locker? If so, I would definitely put it in the rear and not the front.

Last edited by GreenJK; 01-31-2012 at 01:59 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
If you only do one end, I would do the rear first. Better to put money into a 44 than a 30, and I think a rear traction device performs better than up front. That is debatable though.

Also, the truetrac is a limited, not a locker. Are you talking about the detroit locker? If so, I would definitely put it in the rear and not the front.
Very good points. I in fact was talking about the limited, my bad.

I can see why I would be better to put money into the 44 first and not in the 30...so having said that, I should probably go with an "actual locker" for the rear? Not a limited slip?!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Lol its my sig line!! Start w the rear and since ur not changing gears you can worry about the front later-there are a couple other threads on lockers-do a search and you will have more than enough info to decide which one to go with

Is this thing on?.....

www.4x4s-pod.com

Last edited by Fklein6768; 01-31-2012 at 05:28 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Why not go with a locker in the rear and a lunchbox locker (i.e. Aussie) up front? Could make a very capable rig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 AM
Rock God

The limited slip isn't a bad thing in the front esp if you move to a place that has snow and requires you to drive in 4wd. A mechanical locker in the front will want to "push" and not allow you to turn as well in those conditions. If you have no plans in being in the snow on the road with this vehicle I wouldn't worry about my statement above. A lunch box locker for the front would work fine but they do put extra stress on things offroad. Make sure you by a good lift cause they tend to raise hell on track bars offroad, I've delt with this on many Jeeps with cheaper components. Rear locker wise you honestly wouldn't be bad off with a lunchbox in the rear as well, people will disagree with that but you don't have the tire size nor power to really hurt one and it's not going to drive any different than a Detroit. I say if you really want to get the most bang for the buck you can lunchbox that thing front and rear and stay inside budget. If you don't like it pull it out, sell it and buy a ARB. Or keep your spider gears and side gears and throw them back in. If you're mechanically inclined you won't even have to take it to a shop and pay the labor to install them.
If you're looking for a deal on them or anything else give us a call.
Alex

Like us on

post #10 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
JKowners Vendor

Billy

If you have any questions on our 2.5" Max. Travel System let us know! Good Luck with your build!

RK
post #11 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownJK View Post
The limited slip isn't a bad thing in the front esp if you move to a place that has snow and requires you to drive in 4wd. A mechanical locker in the front will want to "push" and not allow you to turn as well in those conditions. If you have no plans in being in the snow on the road with this vehicle I wouldn't worry about my statement above. A lunch box locker for the front would work fine but they do put extra stress on things offroad. Make sure you by a good lift cause they tend to raise hell on track bars offroad, I've delt with this on many Jeeps with cheaper components. Rear locker wise you honestly wouldn't be bad off with a lunchbox in the rear as well, people will disagree with that but you don't have the tire size nor power to really hurt one and it's not going to drive any different than a Detroit. I say if you really want to get the most bang for the buck you can lunchbox that thing front and rear and stay inside budget. If you don't like it pull it out, sell it and buy a ARB. Or keep your spider gears and side gears and throw them back in. If you're mechanically inclined you won't even have to take it to a shop and pay the labor to install them.
If you're looking for a deal on them or anything else give us a call.
Alex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Billy

If you have any questions on our 2.5" Max. Travel System let us know! Good Luck with your build!

RK
Alex, Thanks a lot for the advice on the lockers, it really helps. I do plan on being in a lot of snow, I live in Maine! I will probably go for the TruTrac (LSD) in the front and do some research on the rear! This will all happen a little way down the road! I don't have the extra money anymore because I changed my mind and instead of the pieced together (Rough Country) version of the lift I went with the Rock Krawler!

Rock Krawler, thanks for the reply. I did decide to go with that system and I can't wait to get it installed. I should have it in two weeks or so and I may attempt the install when I get it or sometime after I make my trip home from Texas. I have heard nothing but excellent reviews of your products and am happy to finally be a part of the Rock Krawler lift family!

Thanks again everyone, sorry if your responses seem to have been wasted but in all honesty it has helped me understand lockers (most confusing thing about my JK build so far)!

-Billy
post #12 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Rock God

Good choice.

Lunchbox lockers are great for those that are very rarely going to see snow or ice, but any automatic locker like that is going to bring the suck if you live where it's cold and you see it often.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Rock God

Glad I could help, I'm here if you need me.

Like us on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode