Beadlocks for daily driving...... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Exclamation Beadlocks VS NON Beadlocks for daily driving......

Beadlocks VS NON Beadlocks for daily driving......
What are the cons of daily driving on beadlocks? Does anyone have experience daily driving on walker evans, raceline, hutchinson, or poison spyder? I love the look of all of these, but I do not want to sacrifice the daily drivability on my jeep, so for those of you that have done it, do you recommend it? All opinions and experiences are appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by ROADKING; 01-30-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: better title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

I notice no difference compared to stock wheels. I've DDed my JK on 18" Spyderlocks and 35" mud grapplers, and my current 17x9.5" Racelines and 37" MTR Kevlars. I liked the Spyderlocks better and am thinking about switching to ATX Slabs, which are the same wheel as a spyderlock.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

Pro's: They look sexier than the Toyota on the other side of the gas pump.
Racelines are lighter than the Spyderlocks.

Cons: You need to check them often to make sure none of the bolts are backing out.

Im running the Raceline Bullets. 40 dam bolts per wheel on the 20" 😏

2008 RUBICON 2DR
TERAFLEX 3" Full FlexArm Lift
JKS ACOS Adjustable Coil Spacers (5.5" Total)
FOX 2.0 Resivour Shocks
20"x10" Rockathon Beadlocks
39.5x16.50R20 Pitbull Rocker Bias Ply
Total Height 83.25"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

No problems at all.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 08:50 PM
Rock God

I DD my racelines with 40's. No difference in the rims, but the tires bring the suck for DD'ing
post #6 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernmedic View Post
I DD my racelines with 40's. No difference in the rims, but the tires bring the suck for DD'ing
No difference from non beadlock? What sucks about your 40's? I was considering going 40's.
post #7 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Con over a period of time it can start tearing the bead since it's not able move,
Pro. Look awesome, and your ready for anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #8 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUOFFRDGA View Post

Cons: You need to check them often to make sure none of the bolts are backing out.
Does anyone have any feedback on trail ready's claim of "Torque once Set It and Forget It Rock Ring Installation"?

http://www.jeepswag.com/beadlock_wheels/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #9 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Check to see if your state has any laws against using them.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

You'll be hard pressed to find a specific law prohibiting beadlocks. You'll be fine DDing on beadlocks. Just be sure to torque check the beadlock ring bolts once per month. Mine never move, but I do it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #11 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Aren't there some issues with the law and ones that are not DOT approved? Its for sure no issue here in TX.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #12 of 71 Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
GKR
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Does anyone have any feedback on trail ready's claim of "Torque once Set It and Forget It Rock Ring Installation"?

http://www.jeepswag.com/beadlock_wheels/index.htm
I've run one set of steel/welded Trailreadys and two different set of Trailready HD's. Daily driver. Haven't had any bolts come loose or break.

I've also run two sets of Spyderlocks. They bring the beef for sure. No loose bolts there either.

I've only run Trailready and Spyderlocks and can say that both of them are high quality wheels. Run true and easy to balance.
post #13 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 AM
Rock God

No issues here, they don't feel any different than any other rims.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

post #14 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 AM
Granite Guru

Saw this on a companies site.

Can I drive with my beadlocks on the road?

Yes! Champion Beadlock wheels and conversions can be used on the road for up to 1/2 ton vehicles. Years of testing on the road have proven that with proper maintenance, Champion Beadlocks are safe for street use.

Are Champion Beadlocks DOT approved?

The DOT does not have a specific ruling for beadlock wheels--whether they are Champions or any other brand. Testing has determined for us that our beadlocks are safe for street use, and thus, we do sell beadlocks for light vehicles that will go on the road.
post #15 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 AM
Granite Guru

Run spyderlocks on my DD. check torque often no issues at all!

Steve

WORK HARD... PLAY HARDER!
post #16 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 05:29 AM
Rock God

Spyderlocks, racelines, TR and methods here, no issues at all.

Like us on

post #17 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 06:58 AM
JKO Addict!

I have been running hutchinton with 37's for the last year with no problems and never had a bolt come loose or had a problem with air. Wheeled about 15 times last year. They are heavy at 50 pounds each.
post #18 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
JKO Addict!

I have Walkers on my JK:

Pros:
Personally they look better than most regular wheels.

They are BEADLOCKS!! I can roll up to a trial, air way down, wheel and air back up to drive home.

Cons:
They are heavier than a regular wheel so you wheel see a marginal loss in power and fuel economy as there is more rotating mass.

Despite what Champion says, you can get a ticket for running a non DOT approved product on public roads and I think Hutchinsons are the only DOT approved beadlock. With that said, it will take one ROYAL pain in the @$$ to pull you over and actually site you for them so I wouldnt put this issue at the top of my concern list.

They are usually more expensive than a regular wheel but if you are already spending money on a wheel, might as well go all the way.

If you can get over the price and extra weight, then beadlocks are the way to go. The benefit of being able to air down without the worry of popping a bead is a huge plus.
post #19 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Granite Guru

I love mine. ATX Slab with Toyo mud 37x14.50r17

Tech Support Contact:
901-382-8888 Phone
901-373-5290 Fax

post #20 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

I have walker evans bead locks, and in my opinion there is absolutely no difference between daily driving on bead locks and non bead locks. What could be different anyway?

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #21 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

2 years running spyderlocks and 42" pitbulls zero problems just check the bolts every once in awhile.

post #22 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Rock God

as you know ive had spyderlock beadlocks for years never any issue at all... i check the bolts once in awhile.. never have been loose... no issues with the law.. even had cops ask if they are real beadlock and loved them.. those where beadlocks on your last rig right ? ive had spyderlocks and the Hutchinsons ... both great choices ..plus with beadlocks you can mount our own tires.. the wheels are alittle heavier than non.. the spyderlocks 17s are 47 pounds each..
post #23 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I have been running hutchinton with 37's for the last year with no problems and never had a bolt come loose or had a problem with air. Wheeled about 15 times last year. They are heavy at 50 pounds each.
i second this, running hutchinsons with 35 nitto's so my tire and wheel combo is heavy but never had a problem.

note that the hutchinsons are dot approved.

'08 no limit red rock rubi

MODS: Daystar dash panel - I've got a jeep, I'm invincible already....
post #24 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Is there any major difference between Hutchinson, spyderlocks, raceline, and walker Evans? Which is best for DD? Thanks so much for all the replies.
Chris
post #25 of 71 Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Rock God

I run trailready without an issue.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode