electric swaybar VS antirock - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

electric swaybar VS antirock

I need a new smartbar for my Rubicon but I'm trying to decide between replacing it with another stocker or just installing an antirock? Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperbluelx View Post
I need a new smartbar for my Rubicon but I'm trying to decide between replacing it with another stocker or just installing an antirock? Opinions?
There are a few discussions on here about the antirock.

I personally wouldn't drop the coin for another Rubi sway bar unless you can pick up one cheap. Might want to consider a good set of quick discos.
post #3 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just left mine in and installed JKS disconnects. Cheapest option.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
I just left mine in and installed JKS disconnects. Cheapest option.
That's my plan for when my e disco dies.

Greg
post #5 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
I disassembled mine and brought it back to life but I don't trust it and have always pulled links so no big deal. Your only as fast as the slowest person when airing up or down at the trail head

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Wheeler

If you do pull it. Ill buy your old none working one

Build it! Run it! Break it! Repeat!
post #7 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks I'll just go with some disconnects then
post #8 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

Offroad Evolution has a twist knob that is put on the stock Rubicon unit. I can't speak as to how well this works? If it's not too too hard to turn it might be a good option?
post #9 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Granite Guru

I know of two people that have that kit. They like it and it's easy to use. When mine craps out I'll be doing that.
post #10 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_king View Post
Offroad Evolution has a twist knob that is put on the stock Rubicon unit. I can't speak as to how well this works? If it's not too too hard to turn it might be a good option?
That's what I have in mine. I like it alot, just reach under the bumper and dial it in or out to connect/disconnect. Less than a minute either way. And it's less than a hundred bucks

08 X Unlimited.Jeep Green. 4.5" AEV Nth Degree. Rubi rock sliders, LineX'd nerf bars. MotoMetal 909's. 35x12.5x17 Nitto. Billet grille. Daystar Dash, Hood Wranglers and tire bumpstops. Rugged Ridge liners,front XHD bumper. Recon 10.5, neoprene covers. sPOD. KC Daylighters windshield lights. Pocket flares by TAG. JKS front and rear adjustable trac bars. Expedition One Trail Series rear bumper, Rock Krawler arms, Evo sleeves, RCVs, 4.88s, ARBs
post #11 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Teraflex's dual rate bar looks like the ticket. Not cheap, but probably less expensive than the e-disco. The dual rate idea has merit, because one of the most annoying aspects of the JK on the trail is the tipping & pitching that can get started when disconnected.
post #12 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd go with a bar that allows for a knob disconnect, or gut the Rubi bar and do it that way. Wouldn't buy another one

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I'd go with a bar that allows for a knob disconnect, or gut the Rubi bar and do it that way. Wouldn't buy another one
If uses the ORE knob will he have a light on the dash without the use of a Procal?

See Garage for Mods
post #14 of 48 Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Rock God

Go antirock. Simple is better and a e-disco is a troublesome POS

07 Rescue Green Unlimited
Upcoming projects - Much needed TLC
post #15 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_king View Post
I have it and it works great. Very easy to install and use.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #16 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 04:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomb23 View Post
Ours wouldn't lock back up, took it apart it was filled with water, go figure. Went with a stock bar off a 4 door and Polly discos. E Discos suck.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #17 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Anti rock. Install it and forget it!
post #18 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 AM
Rock God

You need to check out the ORO sway bar. Stiffness of the stock on road and a flip of a switch on the sway bar its anti rock offroad. Best of both worlds!

Like us on

post #19 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownJK View Post
You need to check out the ORO sway bar. Stiffness of the stock on road and a flip of a switch on the sway bar its anti rock offroad. Best of both worlds!
I like this idea, or the Teraflex, but don't see alot of feedback on em

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #20 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Rock God

In order to do a proper comparison of the two, you need to understand that a coil/link suspension works much better with the influence of a sway bar. If you're only connect in the rear, then you're essentially 'unbalanced' in the sense that the rear will dictate your frame's orientation. If you're connected on both ends, you're now in an "equal and opposite" situation in which the sway bars work together (actually against each other) to keep the frame more level and more stable while the axles do what they want.

There's nothing advantageous about being disconnected when you've got a link suspension. Nothing at all. If I were to purchase a JK Rubi, one of the first things I'd do is remove the stock sway bar, sell all of that junk, and install a Currie AR in its place.
post #21 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
In order to do a proper comparison of the two, you need to understand that a coil/link suspension works much better with the influence of a sway bar. If you're only connect in the rear, then you're essentially 'unbalanced' in the sense that the rear will dictate your frame's orientation. If you're connected on both ends, you're now in an "equal and opposite" situation in which the sway bars work together (actually against each other) to keep the frame more level and more stable while the axles do what they want.

There's nothing advantageous about being disconnected when you've got a link suspension. Nothing at all. If I were to purchase a JK Rubi, one of the first things I'd do is remove the stock sway bar, sell all of that junk, and install a Currie AR in its place.
The advantage for me is on road handling characteristics. I don't care for any more body roll or understeer than I already have.

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #22 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 08:52 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
The advantage for me is on road handling characteristics. I don't care for any more body roll or understeer than I already have.
Have you ridden in a JK with a properly setup suspension and a Currie AR at one or both ends? The increase in body roll is minimal at most. As for understeer, that's more of a function of the rear suspension geometry.

From what I've seen, the hard top plays more of a roll in body roll than going from a stock sway bar to the Currie AR.
post #23 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Ours wouldn't lock back up, took it apart it was filled with water, go figure. Went with a stock bar off a 4 door and Polly discos. E Discos suck.
Its mechanically locked electrically unlocked, so you can always manually get it to lock back up no matter how fried the electronic are as long as you take it apart to lock it back up manually.

See Garage for Mods
post #24 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Completely disagree. You have obviously not spent very much time in the big rocks. The loss of flex from the antirocks is a huge disadvantage. Everyone in my club and a large # of folks on this forum have either ripped them off or now disco them.
post #25 of 48 Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Rock God

Get a stocker and manual discos or the knobs if they really work. As far as imped's post, are you running sand or mud? In rock, disconnecting is the only way to fly bra.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode