Squeaking while turning! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Squeaking while turning!

Hello All! First off i wanted to say im fairly new to the forum and this is my first post but i have been thoroughly impressed with the community on this forum. I was hoping some of you pro's out there can help me out! I have a 2010 rubicon and I noticed that when turning left about 3/4 turn and in motion i get a squeaking noise accompanied with a vibration in the steering wheel. It's not a "clunking" noise or whining, its kind of like a skipping/squeaking noise and it only happens while in motion and turning to the left. I tried to self diagnose and i noticed one of the lower controls arms was EXTREMELY loose (to the point the nut holding it on was only threaded half-way on the end of the bolt!) I tightened it up and now the squeaking/skipping noise happens less often but none the less it still happens and only while moving and making a left turn with the wheel about 3/4 of the way. It appears to only happen around 5-15 mph (maybe because i dont take turns faster than that lol) It almost seems like it happens if im turning and the weight shifts then i can feel it. I do have a Teraflex 2.5" coil lift and am running 35's. I was thinking maybe lube the bushings with some lithium grease or something similiar but this has really got me scratching my head. I'm hoping one of you guys/gals out there has an answer for this. Please help this noob out!

I have an update! This is actually happening while motionless, i guess just luck would have it i never noticed it before, or i typically don't turn my wheel at a stand still that often, anyways, i was able to record the noise this time and i uploaded it to youtube, if you have a spare 20seconds, check out the video please, any more info would be appreciated. Steering pump going bad? - YouTube

Last edited by Jeep505; 02-05-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: NEW INFO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Rock God

2010? Still under warranty? Take it in and let the dealership deal with it.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #3 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You are correct, it is under warranty, but the jeep dealerships down here are such a pain in the ass to get things straightened out with. I will if i have to but im sure all they are going to do is blame it on the small lift i have on (which they did over the phone). Plus i would like to learn more about my jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep505 View Post
You are correct, it is under warranty, but the jeep dealerships down here are such a pain in the ass to get things straightened out with. I will if i have to but im sure all they are going to do is blame it on the small lift i have on (which they did over the phone). Plus i would like to learn more about my jeep.
Never understood why people want to spend time worrying and trying to fix things on vehicles that are under warranty. Drop it off, if they tell you its not covered because of the lift have them show you where the noise is coming from and go from there. Enjoy your Jeep and that it still has a factory backed warranty Sorry I got no help for your actually concern, I know some had an issue with the intermediate steering shafts making a clunk. Try searching for those threads, couple of them had pics in them of what to look for. Solved the noise I had in the steering!

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #5 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out those other posts you mentioned and if push comes to shove if i dont find anything here i will deal with the dealership, I'm under the assumption if they blame it on the lift it's their responsibility to show me how the lift has adversely affected the warranty is this correct? Thanks for the replies again! Btw, the reason at least i prefer to figure this stuff out is that there will come a time when my warranty threshold is over and it's nice to know how to fix these things. Plus if i learn it i can pass my knowledge onto others as needed.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Can you tell if its related to rotation? I'd check brake bolts etc. In fact since you found that control arm bolt loose I'd check everything up front.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
Can you tell if its related to rotation? I'd check brake bolts etc. In fact since you found that control arm bolt loose I'd check everything up front.
I checked everything in the front and torqued everything up. brake bolts are fine and i see now marks anywhere that indicate scrapping. it's almost as if something is struggling to keep itself in the position its in and is skipping/whining. If i do a left U-turn its real prominent. I jacked it up and spun the tires and moved left to right and no noise at all. The u-joints don't move or knock either. It's almost like it needs to be moving and pressure applied, maybe something in the steering box having a hard time?
post #8 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

This may sound dumb but did you check wheel bolts? I can relate to the dealer sucking. I never go there unless I have no other options.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #9 of 13 Old 01-30-2012, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
This may sound dumb but did you check wheel bolts? I can relate to the dealer sucking. I never go there unless I have no other options.
Yeah i made sure that the wheel bolts are all tightened up too. Thanks for the ideas i wish it had worked lol.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
JKO Addict!

my guess......dust plates...remove them or get them replaced..they bend sooooo easily.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #11 of 13 Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
my guess......dust plates...remove them or get them replaced..they bend sooooo easily.
I checked them earlier when i was underneath and nothing is bent or making contact anywhere, could it be possible its flexing while turning? Thanks
post #12 of 13 Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM

Here is somethign else to look at. Crawl up under while someone turns the wheel and check for contact on the underside of the frame where the drag link bolt goes through the pitman arm. The pitman arm passes under the frame in just about the location that you hear the noise.

I had to put the stock pitman arm back on mine when I cut off the frame mount trackbar drop bracket & removed the drop pitman arm to install an adjustable track bar. (I screwed up the factory drag link end when I installed the drop pitman during the original lift install and had to replace it.) The aftermarket drag link end has a longer bolt that the factory one did by about 3/8". After I went back to the stock pitman it now scapes the bottom of the frame in certain conditions, which I don't understand since the steering box is stationary on the frame. Once I decide on what axle end trackbar bracket I want to use, I'll put the drop pitman back on.

Last edited by Jeepforfun; 02-09-2012 at 08:23 PM.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru

Did you check the power steering fluid level?

2012 Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode