C Gussets - Do I need upper AND Lower? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

C Gussets - Do I need upper AND Lower?

Why do you need lower C Gussetts? Getting ready to have them put in and was just wondering if you need upper and lower. I see most have them and some dont. I am definitely not an expert but it seems if they bend it would more than likely be the uppers that bend. Can anyone explain/clarify this?

"Courage is being scared to death ... and saddling up anyway" - John Wayne"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

yes...

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #3 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
JKO Addict!

I'd say they aren't as necessary as the uppers since there is less leverage against the C there and the stress is sent through the knuckle to the upper (more/less). However. It is a minimal amount of work to install them once you are already doing uppers, it'd be silly not to do lowers as well. It's certainly not a bad idea and it's not worth it once you've already done the prep work for uppers.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Go ahead and install them.
post #5 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks.

post #6 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

you don't "need" to wear clean underware every day either, till that one day you get hit by a bus and are treated by the hottest ER nurse you have ever seen.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
you don't "need" to wear clean underware every day either, till that one day you get hit by a bus and are treated by the hottest ER nurse you have ever seen.
What if you roll commando every day?

Tapatalk on Kindle Fire.

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #8 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
Trust me, it don't matter wether or not your wearing clean underwear. You get hit by a bus, your shorts will be streaked no matter what!

Do both the upper and lowers at the same time. The extra cost at this point is absolutely minimal.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Do them both!

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #10 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Screw the gussets... just get stronger outers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #11 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Rock God

I only gusseted the uppers and have no fear of the lowers bending.
post #12 of 26 Old 01-29-2012, 10:40 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

You guys should be WAY more concerned with bending the tubes.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #13 of 26 Old 01-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would say both C gussets and sleeves are both very important. The difference being the install labor on the sleeves. I was lucky enough to be on the forums before I got around to the R&P change so, I just pulled the axle to install the gears and do all the welding.

I have seen more bent Cs posted than broken housings. For the person that is price conscience the cost of Cs can easily be justified.

As far as welding on just the tops there is no reason not to weld on the bottoms even if it is just for looks. Once added the Cs do make the housings look a hell of a lot more beefy IMO. If I looked at an axle (and I do of every lifted JK I see in a parking lot, a lot like a biker checks out the rear tire wear on other motorcycles) and just saw the tops on I would go WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #14 of 26 Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Granite Guru

X2 on that!
I did the Tops and Bottoms at the same time. Figured why not, I'm already here.

Next up is the Poly Outer Tubes 😊

2008 RUBICON 2DR
TERAFLEX 3" Full FlexArm Lift
JKS ACOS Adjustable Coil Spacers (5.5" Total)
FOX 2.0 Resivour Shocks
20"x10" Rockathon Beadlocks
39.5x16.50R20 Pitbull Rocker Bias Ply
Total Height 83.25"
post #15 of 26 Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artayay View Post
What if you roll commando every day?

Tapatalk on Kindle Fire.
Then you dont need C gussets
post #16 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks everyone. Upper and lower c gussets and front LCA skids going on tomorrow.

post #17 of 26 Old 02-01-2012, 09:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG View Post
You guys should be WAY more concerned with bending the tubes.
Have you guys ever heard of anyone bending there driver side tube?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #18 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 09:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^^ Nope I have not. The tube is very short and there is not as much leverage on the tube. As far as axle tubes it is the same situation as lower Cs gussets. When you are there you might as well install the short side, beef up the whole axle housing and make them match. IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #19 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm one of those that only had upper C's installed and I have no fear that I will get a bend there at all. There were a couple of reasons I went with just uppers, though. First, and foremost, the TeraFlex gussets were the only ones readily available to me in the short time I had to get them installed before a wheeling trip. But they were a bit more cost-effective, too, at $35 vs. $90 for the EVO's or any other upper & lower sets. Had the Polys been readily available, yeah, I probably would've gone with upper and lower, but since they weren't and I had limited time, I went with what was available. And the manager of the shop where I had them burned on said he didn't really see a need for lowers anyway because he'd never seen tubes get bent downward at that point.

Do the upper and lower gussets make the axle look beefier? Sure. Do I give a shit? Not really. As long as they do what they're supposed to do, I'm a happy camper. Besides....who's going to be looking at my c-gussets when I'm wheelin' anyway?

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #20 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

DONE!

Went to River Raider Off Road today and got upper/lower C gussets installed, as well as, front lower control arms skids. Thanks Joe @ RROR! They were great to deal with. The best part, I didn't realize their price included trussing my D30 as well.

Name:  DSC02735.JPG
Views: 2121
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  DSC02734.JPG
Views: 1997
Size:  143.0 KB

Name:  DSC02740.JPG
Views: 1808
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  DSC02738.JPG
Views: 3735
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  DSC02733.JPG
Views: 2536
Size:  143.1 KB

Pics arent the best, but will do for now.

post #21 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Granite Guru

Any idea of the price on the River Raider d30 truss alone? Is it something there going to sell?
post #22 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No idea. Send them a pm there on the vender list.

post #23 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
I would say both C gussets and sleeves are both very important. The difference being the install labor on the sleeves. I was lucky enough to be on the forums before I got around to the R&P change so, I just pulled the axle to install the gears and do all the welding.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
I have seen more bent Cs posted than broken housings. For the person that is price conscience the cost of Cs can easily be justified.
I have seen the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUOFFRDGA View Post
Next up is the Poly Outer Tubes 😊
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
I HAVE.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #24 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
I've seen bent and broken short side tubes.

I am replacing my axle housing since I spun a bearing.
I will be sleeving, gusseting, skids and reinforcing all brackets while it is out and bare.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s

Last edited by owtdorz; 02-02-2012 at 05:35 PM.
post #25 of 26 Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
I'm one of those that only had upper C's installed and I have no fear that I will get a bend there at all. There were a couple of reasons I went with just uppers, though. First, and foremost, the TeraFlex gussets were the only ones readily available to me in the short time I had to get them installed before a wheeling trip. But they were a bit more cost-effective, too, at $35 vs. $90 for the EVO's or any other upper & lower sets. Had the Polys been readily available, yeah, I probably would've gone with upper and lower, but since they weren't and I had limited time, I went with what was available. And the manager of the shop where I had them burned on said he didn't really see a need for lowers anyway because he'd never seen tubes get bent downward at that point.

Do the upper and lower gussets make the axle look beefier? Sure. Do I give a shit? Not really. As long as they do what they're supposed to do, I'm a happy camper. Besides....who's going to be looking at my c-gussets when I'm wheelin' anyway?
Same here, did the teraflex and they only have the uppers(at least when I bought them).

Never have really worried about with my 35's but I happened across someone selling just the synergy lower C gussets and jumped on them. Having them welded along with my RK front track bar bracket next week.

My philosophy, if one is good, two has got to be better!

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode