Clockspring - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Clockspring

Can the clockspring be fixed DIY or is that something that needs to be left to the dealer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Granite Guru

im not sure you can fix it, but replacing it it's a no brainer, the hardest part is to take the air bag out, by releasing the 3 clips that hold the ab in to the steering wheel, after that, it's really simple, just dont forget to count the turns and leave it in the middle.

07 Sahara Unlimited, D44īs Supercharged LS on 37īs....
post #3 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, that's what I meant.... replace.

Any tips to keep the airbag from blowing up in my face? That'll definitely leave a mark and I'd rather not experience it. Is it even possible for it to activate with the Jeep off and sitting still?

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i believe fixing the clockspring involves dismantling the entire steering column. might take a lot of time and effort

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #5 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Doesn't look too tough on this youtube video...

Chrysler Van Clock Spring - YouTube

I just might give it a shot.

SSrubi, what do you mean by "count the turns and leave it in the middle"? I don't see anything like that going on in the video. Should be relatively the same given that it's a Chrysler minivan and we're basically driving a Chrysler minivan anyway... haha...

Quote:

post #6 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 03:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Check with the dealer. I had an 07 that I just got a recall on. Too bad I don't have it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #7 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Granite Guru

Just had mine done at the dealer for free. It is not a recall but an extention of the warranty. I was stoked because it has been bad for a while and I just got the letter.

2007 Rubicon JKU - Sandstone
post #8 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 05:07 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

To avoid accidental discharge, disconnect the battery completely. :Beer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant.... replace.

Any tips to keep the airbag from blowing up in my face? That'll definitely leave a mark and I'd rather not experience it. Is it even possible for it to activate with the Jeep off and sitting still?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
^this

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #10 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I figured that out after watching that video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDBLAST XTREME View Post
Just had mine done at the dealer for free. It is not a recall but an extention of the warranty. I was stoked because it has been bad for a while and I just got the letter.
You really think the dealer is gonna fix my clock spring free when I roll in on 41.5" tires?

Heck, even Lucas Jeep back in Jersey wouldn't do that. I will probably just order it from MoparPartsAmerica.com when I get back home and fix it.

For now, I'll live with it. It's only causing the airbag light on the dash and my horn is not working (it beeps when I lock the doors with the key fob, but won't if I try to activate it at the steering wheel). I'm guessing replacing the ABS sensor fixed my cruise control issue 'cause it's working fine now!

Quote:

post #11 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

You really think the dealer is gonna fix my clock spring free when I roll in on 41.5" tires?

Heck, even Lucas Jeep back in Jersey wouldn't do that. I will probably just order it from MoparPartsAmerica.com when I get back home and fix it.

For now, I'll live with it. It's only causing the airbag light on the dash and my horn is not working (it beeps when I lock the doors with the key fob, but won't if I try to activate it at the steering wheel). I'm guessing replacing the ABS sensor fixed my cruise control issue 'cause it's working fine now!
School me on the clockspring. Was it's failure because of your mods? Just curious.

2008 RUBY UNLIMITED

T&T CUSTOMS
post #12 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

tire size, lift, hemi swap, nothing should really mess with your clockspring warranty.

Remember mods only void the warranty on parts they can affect.

So unless you used drywall screws to bolt something to your column or something retarded like that, the extended warranty on the clock spring *should* cover you.

of course some dealers are gonna fight more stuff than others

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #13 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Doesn't it fuck the clockspring up if you turn the wheel too far with the drag link disco'd? I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking this had to have happened while we were doing the lift.

I did not have the airbag light before the lift and come to think of it, it was while I was turning the wheel back and forth to get steering fluid into the line that the horn started sounding continuously and I disco'd it. After I hooked it back up, it would not work when pressed on the steering wheel.

I'm going with the clockspring and I'm willing to bet that we (I) fucked it up when we were (I was) working on it.

Quote:

Last edited by jeeperjkj; 01-28-2012 at 05:54 PM.
post #14 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Granite Guru

you need a short flathead scredriver to release the ab, there are 3 holes in the back of the ab, have to push in the ab then release the clip. (try using a flashlight on the biggest hole of the 3 of them to take a look in to the clip, so you'll know how to release it, it's easy if you do it right) . relase the clip all the way and move on to the next, and so forth.

then unplug ab, and harness, release steering wheel bolt, sometimes it takes more than a few pulls to get the steering wheel out.

take the screws out from the turn signals, and wipers, and replace clockspring,

turn it all the way to the right slowly, and count two complete turns to the left, that will be the middle, put a piece of masking tape so it wont move, and assemble back together, make sure DO NOT over tight the bolt from the steering wheel. dont worry , it will never come off.

post #15 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 06:34 PM
JKO Addict!

They just sent out an unlimited mile warranty on all clock springs

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #16 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Even if I broke it?

Quote:

post #17 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Granite Guru

It would not hurt to ask the dealer about it. Let them tell you it's not covered due to something you did.

If you end up replacing it yourself, AZ or Advance will "loan" you the steering wheel puller. Videoing the disassembly will help you remember how to reassemble the column.

Steve
post #18 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

a dealer here fixed the clockspring on a friend of mines heavily modded jeep, not modded as heavy as yours but he's rolling 5" lift and 37's. they extendd the clockspring warranty to ( I Think ) 120,000 miles. I would give it a try IMO

2010 Unlimited
RIVER CITY OFFROAD
GREEN COUNTRY OFFROAD
DNA Fabrication
post #19 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Might give it a try when I get home.

I'm curious about SSRubi's method of turning the clockspring all the way to the right, then back 2 full turns. Is that in the FSM? Have you (SSRubi) actually done it that way or see it done? Just wondering since it wasn't done in the video I linked. I realize it wasn't a JK in the video, but figured I'd ask just in case I do attempt this on my own.

Thanks everyone.

Quote:

post #20 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 08:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Doesn't it fuck the clockspring up if you turn the wheel too far with the drag link disco'd? I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking this had to have happened while we were doing the lift.

I did not have the airbag light before the lift and come to think of it, it was while I was turning the wheel back and forth to get steering fluid into the line that the horn started sounding continuously and I disco'd it. After I hooked it back up, it would not work when pressed on the steering wheel.

I'm going with the clockspring and I'm willing to bet that we (I) fucked it up when we were (I was) working on it.
I really doubt this broke your clockspring.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #21 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Granite Guru

i've done it myself a couple of times, if you turn it all the way to the left, it's about 2 1/4 turns, because it does not wind in the middle, but if you have any doubts about this method, try winding it up to either side, and then count the turns counterwise, divide it by half, and that's the center. it only turns 4 1/4.

post #22 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Granite Guru

if you decide to do it yourself, it will take you anywhere from 25-40 minutes, depending how long you take to take the ab out, it is not science, everything falls in to place, you cannot piece it back together wrong, except the turns in the clockspring and the overtighten the steering bolt, if you remember those 2 things and have knowledge of how to use a screwdriver, and a ratchet, you'll do fine, if you have a steering wheel puller, that would rock, but sometimes you don't even need it, a good hard straight pull will do the trick. (if in doubt, try it)

post #23 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Granite Guru

oh, i forgot to mention, there are 3 torx screws that hold the column covers that need to be removed, along with the covers, then tilt the steering wheel down, for better access to release the ab.

post #24 of 42 Old 01-28-2012, 09:34 PM
JKO Addict!

There is a recall on the clockspring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #25 of 42 Old 01-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Yes, they will I rolled in on 37s and 106,000 MI, tires are not a cause of a failed clock spring but if you are gonna deal with do like I did and take your dash apart and put a screw in that dinger. I love not hearing it at all.

2007 Rubicon JKU - Sandstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode