Steering Correction - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Steering Correction

There are a lot of steering correction kits out there. Recommendations and why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Depends upon the lift you have. Under 3" you're usually ok stock. Over 3" bump steer gets progressively worse. I opted for Poly's kit and highly recommend it.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Steering Correction

I have 4.5 Clayton coils with a Teraflex track bar and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Granite Guru

Under 3" lift, you don't really need to worry about it. Taller than that, and your drag link and track bar are at a stupid angle. A "drag link flip kit" will include a matching-height track bar bracket to put both of them back to parallel with the ground to perfectly correct the fouled-up geometry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Daily driven rockcrawler
Nothing but the best: AEV, Rancho, MetalCloak, Synergy, Reid Racing, Artec, Warn, Cooper
post #5 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 02:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

X2 on poly, it's a nice set up.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #6 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Granite Guru

Like said previously, over 3", I'd go With Teraflex HD Frame Brace & Drag Link Flip

2008 RUBICON 2DR
TERAFLEX 3" Full FlexArm Lift
JKS ACOS Adjustable Coil Spacers (5.5" Total)
FOX 2.0 Resivour Shocks
20"x10" Rockathon Beadlocks
39.5x16.50R20 Pitbull Rocker Bias Ply
Total Height 83.25"
post #7 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
JKowners Vendor

Like they said, below 3" you really do not need anything, nor is it wise to do a drag link flip. Above 3" it is a good move. Make sure the new track bar geometry matches the drag link flip geometry and you will need a minimum of 3" bump stop extensions or your drag link could smack the frame under normal operation....

Here is a simple solution!

http://www.rockkrawler.com/pages/cat...p?r_itemID=155

Let us know if you have any questions! Good luck with your build!

RK
post #8 of 16 Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

One thing to consider is that many lifts that 2-2.5" of lift usually end up getting more than that and them some tend to add the front spacers to level it out also, then add to the equation some keep the light stock bumper so it is easy to see 3 plus inches of lift from a 2.5 kit.

When I installed my 3" lift on stock rubi Tires I was sitting as high if not slightly higher than the Shrockworks rig with 4" lift and 35's.

I did a lot of things to my 2.5 kit that many didn't feel needed to be done and I took it even further when I upped to 3"springs but I noticed a great improvement with the completion of each mod. So if you feel that you may need it by all means do so, any upgrade to the jk is not in vein and wasted, at least your getting ends that can be greased and rebuilt.

Keep in mind that I'm OCD or something and the slightest of issues drive me bonkers until I get them fixed....

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 08:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Different kits=different manufacturers.
Recommendations=personal preference, so it's subjective.
Why=because you need to correct all of the steering components back to being as close to parallel as possible.

Many many threads on this that beat this home, try the search.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #10 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

I did the poly High steer with the jks front track bar brace which also gave me a new higher location to mount the track bar. The angles of the tb and dl are now quite close and the truck rides better.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Depends upon the lift you have. Under 3" you're usually ok stock. Over 3" bump steer gets progressively worse. I opted for Poly's kit and highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMolester View Post
Under 3" lift, you don't really need to worry about it. Taller than that, and your drag link and track bar are at a stupid angle. A "drag link flip kit" will include a matching-height track bar bracket to put both of them back to parallel with the ground to perfectly correct the fouled-up geometry.
X2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
X2 on poly, it's a nice set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
Like they said, below 3" you really do not need anything, nor is it wise to do a drag link flip. Above 3" it is a good move. Make sure the new track bar geometry matches the drag link flip geometry and you will need a minimum of 3" bump stop extensions or your drag link could smack the frame under normal operation....
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I run the 4" Superlift and I have the Superlift adjustable track bar.

I've recently had some real issues with death wobble. it's come and gone, but now its here and its an issue. Would my DW issues have anything to do with the steering? i've also noticed over time that the steering of my JK has developed some sloppiness. its had a clunk here and there, but the clunk has gone away.

i've been looking at the JKS steering sector shaft brace and track bar brace, but i can't make heads or tails of whats going on with all that and whether it would really help with my issues.
Yes, DW could be a result of several different worn steering components. I really don't think the steering sector shaft should be the first place to look. Give me a call if you want, I could prob help alot better over the phone.... Dave x203

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Different kits=different manufacturers.
Recommendations=personal preference, so it's subjective.
Why=because you need to correct all of the steering components back to being as close to parallel as possible.

Many many threads on this that beat this home, try the search.
x2...

Here is a link to the Synergy Suspension Steering Correction Kit, also referred to as the "Poly" kit by alot of peeps around here.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #12 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

You guys will always be "Poly" to me!
post #13 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 12:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah all of my Teraflex crap has been replaced by poly, only thing left is springs, great stuff and great help.

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

post #14 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 12:59 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
You guys will always be "Poly" to me!
Its ALL good....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Yeah all of my Teraflex crap has been replaced by poly, only thing left is springs, great stuff and great help.
We make SPRINGS too.... Made in the USA

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #15 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks

thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like the poly kit seems to be everyones suggestion, I appreciate it.
post #16 of 16 Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Rock God

I'm also running a Poly draglink and tie rod with a Poly weld on 3" trackbar bracket on PR44 with Reids. Solid front end. Don't be cheap and use a kit that uses OEM right hand drive draglink, theres lots out there. My OEM left was shit, can't imagine the OEM right being different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode