JKU Third row help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 Old 01-27-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
JKU Third row help

OK so i am going out and buying a rear seat from a 2 door JK this weekend to put as the third row in Vanna, my JK. I am doing this to allow to either have the car seats back there or to have little people back there. People who have the teraflex bracket and the 2 door rear seat in the back what are you doing for seat belts? can i see pictures and know what i am going to do to make is safe. the seat i am getting has the headrests and the belt receivers but NOT the seat belts that attach to the jeep.

Thank you for your help in advance.

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Pm txrock he did it in his.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #3 of 73 Old 01-27-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thank you and pm sent!

Sent via horse and buggy

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 Old 01-27-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

This is off of teraflex's website but I wouldn't be opposed to this set up!

Sent via horse and buggy

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #5 of 73 Old 01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUnlimitedSport_2010 View Post
This is off of teraflex's website but I wouldn't be opposed to this set up!

Sent via horse and buggy
True mini-van status right there.

Still looks clean and has its place!
post #6 of 73 Old 01-28-2012, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thank youfor the quick response txrock.... I really want to do this lap belt... Is it safe? Or should I do the three point harness?

Sent via horse and buggy

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #7 of 73 Old 01-28-2012, 03:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm more paranoid about the third row than most folks because I rolled an 07 2 door on the highway. I don't like the idea for two reasons. Upside down gives you a new perspective on the world. I have a sport cage now and feel better but not completely safe. I am in welding classes now to build a better cage. The windshield just allows everything to fold down and over on itself.

One the rear is raised so it has the passengers very close to the top of the side panels. In a rollover they would be very vulnerable to ground impact.

Second, they are closer to the rear with less protection buffer from a rear end collision.

Again, I am probably more paranoid than most so take it for what it's worth.

Just guardrail and road. Flat, daylight, 70mph, no other vehicle involved. The damage speaks for itself.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 01-28-2012 at 04:02 AM.
post #8 of 73 Old 01-28-2012, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wooooow... From the looks of the picture it didn't matter where you were in that jk! That's why I want to put a roll cage in there... This isn't for long trips but I still want it to be "safe" and that is why I want to put a good seat belt in there!

Sent via horse and buggy

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #9 of 73 Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well picked my seat up today!!! $100!!! Never sat in! Brand new!!!

And me just looking to see what is will look like!!!! Wife surprised me and ordered the brackets and they will be in on Friday!!! Weekend project!!!!!

Sent via horse and buggy

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #10 of 73 Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4x4 View Post
I'm more paranoid about the third row than most folks because I rolled an 07 2 door on the highway. I don't like the idea for two reasons. Upside down gives you a new perspective on the world. I have a sport cage now and feel better but not completely safe. I am in welding classes now to build a better cage. The windshield just allows everything to fold down and over on itself.

One the rear is raised so it has the passengers very close to the top of the side panels. In a rollover they would be very vulnerable to ground impact.

Second, they are closer to the rear with less protection buffer from a rear end collision.

Again, I am probably more paranoid than most so take it for what it's worth.
I don't think you are paranoid at all. I think this is by far the most irresponsible mod anyone can do to a JK. Just how the hell, do you get some little kid or even an adult out if they survive a roll or for that matter a good ass-ender? Brain matter way to close to pavement.

I feel my most important resonsibility, as the driver, is to get every passenger out of the vehicle in case of a roll-over, this capacity put anyone way over the limit.

Now, for a once a year party on the beach - maybe, on the pavement - never.
post #11 of 73 Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

well i think it is great and in a roll over i dont think ANYONE would fair well in the pictures above!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #12 of 73 Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I don't think you are paranoid at all. I think this is by far the most irresponsible mod anyone can do to a JK. Just how the hell, do you get some little kid or even an adult out if they survive a roll or for that matter a good ass-ender? Brain matter way to close to pavement.

I feel my most important resonsibility, as the driver, is to get every passenger out of the vehicle in case of a roll-over, this capacity put anyone way over the limit.

Now, for a once a year party on the beach - maybe, on the pavement - never.
I definitely see the need for some cage work since there would basically be none above the new rear seat. Just curious, not trying to argue, you have some valid points there. How much closer is that seat to anything than the back of a TJ or even a 2-door JK?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #13 of 73 Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i totally understand about the cage and think that yes there should be a make shift cage in there.... this is just too good of a mod to pass up and so many people are doing it! i see pictures of roll overs in jeeps and it looks like people did NOT walk away from them!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #14 of 73 Old 02-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I definitely see the need for some cage work since there would basically be none above the new rear seat. Just curious, not trying to argue, you have some valid points there. How much closer is that seat to anything than the back of a TJ or even a 2-door JK?

In a 2 door, the driver immediately exits, grabs the seat recliner latch and starts removing bodies.

Imagine, simple flop on top, top on, third seaters hanging from their belts, add a water hole if you really want some action.

And I am not talking about 70 mph pavement rolls, probably everyone is f'ed anyway. I am talking about a simply trail flop. I have seen a lot of these third seats on here with no cage work.

I would just buy a Suburban.

BTW -arguing is ok.
post #15 of 73 Old 02-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
a make shift cage in there
I missed this part - excellent point. If I were you I would go with schedule 80 plastic pipe with lots of 45 degree fitting for strength.
post #16 of 73 Old 02-01-2012, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i guess what i really want to do is install the seat first.... only do around town and obviously not on the highway.... but i want to get a sport cage and then integrate a rear section too! i think that would be awesome!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #17 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
i guess what i really want to do is install the seat first.... only do around town and obviously not on the highway.... but i want to get a sport cage and then integrate a rear section too! i think that would be awesome!
I am not bagging on your idea dude - I just would like to see more ROP before folks put passengers way back there. I don't see how an effective and safe cage can be worked out without going full custom. It would appear really hard to exit out the sides, given the location of the factory C connection structure.

Just for [email protected] and giggles - and memory lane, didn't you post a picture of yourself emerging from Vanna's womb, stuck in the middle of a huge mud hole, hooking up a tow strap? How are you going to work that out with a third seat?
post #18 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcraig7 View Post
I am not bagging on your idea dude - I just would like to see more ROP before folks put passengers way back there. I don't see how an effective and safe cage can be worked out without going full custom. It would appear really hard to exit out the sides, given the location of the factory C connection structure.

Just for [email protected] and giggles - and memory lane, didn't you post a picture of yourself emerging from Vanna's womb, stuck in the middle of a huge mud hole, hooking up a tow strap? How are you going to work that out with a third seat?
yeah thats true and that was with a trektop NX and now i have a stock soft top and will be picking up my hardtop too! haha but yeah itll be difficult!!! craig what are some options... renderings you might have!? i know you are creative and fab a lot!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #19 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 AM
Rock God

Quote:
yeah thats true and that was with a trektop NX and now i have a stock soft top and will be picking up my hardtop too! haha but yeah itll be difficult!!! craig what are some options... renderings you might have!? i know you are creative and fab a lot!

Maybe I am a bit twisted, but I laughed my ass off when I saw this photo before, and doubt I will ever forget it, because I usually make my wife do that chore.

As far as a cage design, I shutter. This mod reminds me of a safari type vehicle and use. Like I previous said, beach, parade, road hunt (where legal). I think this would make a great photoshop your use type thread.
post #20 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Granite Guru

WOW, you are lucky to be alive. How fast were you going when you rolled? From the pictures it looks like it was quite a violent experience. Glad you made it...
post #21 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by holy_crap View Post
WOW, you are lucky to be alive. How fast were you going when you rolled? From the pictures it looks like it was quite a violent experience. Glad you made it...
You need to read the whole thread! haha

Thanks craig! i think that until someone steps up and makes a weld or bolt in cage for the back i will definitely have to use it with caution!!! not something i would want to or need to use all the time anyway! haha it is a neat mod and awesome for Jeep Beach and a few other runs and things like that!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #22 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's a little more info i found on safety:

"I installed two third row jump seats manufactured by Little Passenger Seats (www.littlepassengersseats.com). I ordered the rear mount jump seats because they fold up allowing for a small amount of storage in the rear when the seats are not in use. The rear facing option places the occupants head and torso further away from the rear of the vehicle. Also, the rear facing seats keep the third row occupants under the roll bar. The front facing non jump seat style looks to be the most comfortable, but because of the above reasons I chose the rear facing jump seats. My kids do occasionally complain of car sickness but usually only when traveling in tight canyons."

This is from post #8 on the following link:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/t.../#post11894796

And another good point that was made in another forum... it is still legal to ride in the bed of a pick up truck in some or most states... so i would think strapped into a seat inside the veh is a little better then sitting in the pick up bed and getting launched or crushed or anything else that could happen outside of the veh!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks

Last edited by JKUnlimitedSport_2010; 02-02-2012 at 08:50 AM.
post #23 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

sorry for the multi posts.... ill just edit this one with more info i find!

"I have the TeraFlex seat brackets with a 2 door JK rear back seat in my jeep. Instead of using the kingserts it came with I used bolts (which there are 8 in each bracket.) I keep mine in the rear facing position when offroading due to the face that the passengers heads fit just inside of the roll bar. There isn't much feet room, but the kids sit crosslegged. I installed 4 point seat belts to keep them from flying forward in the event of a collision. In my own safety opinion after running the seat...I feel that if there was a roll over they would be just fine. The majority of the weight is going to be distributed in the front due to the engine and the windshield and frame are going to die! For a rollover to affect the 3rd seat you would have to somehow put a weight to the rear...going noses over end. And hopefully my rear bumper and tire carrier can aid in giving protection. In a collision you would have to get rear ended. Side to side they have the axle and body to protect them, which if you have your doors off they are going to be safer than you! And even running with your doors on...they are just element protectors, they offer no protection in collisions. With this said...This is my opinion and you have to drive safe all the time keeping in mind that you have passengers back there. And if you are doing some serious offroading and run the risk of hurting your kids back there...you should ask yourself the question...do my kids even need to be there for it? Pisses me off to watch videos of people on the internet pulling there kids out of the jeep after a rollover...really people? Get a babysitter if you are going to be putting your kids at risk like that!!! If I ever get hasseled by anyone with this I am going to shoot out that there are thousands of convertibles out there that offer less protection than what my jeep offers. By the way the kids love it! Just like we loved the rear facing seat of the station wagon! "

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #24 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Wheeler

Garage
LOL

I am laughing my ass off right know @ how people are talking bad about these seats.

1. The 3rd row seat setup is Identical to the Jeep Commander that I used to have. Only way to get in and out is to fold the 2nd row split seat forward. No way to climb out the back because the seats were too high. Yes, it does have a more rigid rollover protection at the rear corners, but what about a BMW M3 convertible? Would you let your Kids ride in a Convertible? No? then don't do this either.

2. The Teraflex bracket is much more substantial than the factory brackets that hold the other seats in place.

3. Most of us grew up and made it to this forum without a fraction of the over-protective parenting that exists today. My parents refused to buy me a helmet so I could race my BMX bike...Knee Pads for my skateboard were like 75.00 back then...nope, too much.

4. I agree that getting a squared up sportcage for the rear of the JKU is a good idea. I have already talked to Gen-Right about this...

Everyone has a different level of safety practice. My kids have had atv's, dirtbikes, and skateboards. I've been called a bad parent for it..oh well.

This is all opinion based. Lets get past safety opinions and discuss hardware, components and setups.
post #25 of 73 Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUTCH434 View Post
I am laughing my ass off right know @ how people are talking bad about these seats.

1. The 3rd row seat setup is Identical to the Jeep Commander that I used to have. Only way to get in and out is to fold the 2nd row split seat forward. No way to climb out the back because the seats were too high. Yes, it does have a more rigid rollover protection at the rear corners, but what about a BMW M3 convertible? Would you let your Kids ride in a Convertible? No? then don't do this either.

2. The Teraflex bracket is much more substantial than the factory brackets that hold the other seats in place.

3. Most of us grew up and made it to this forum without a fraction of the over-protective parenting that exists today. My parents refused to buy me a helmet so I could race my BMX bike...Knee Pads for my skateboard were like 75.00 back then...nope, too much.

4. I agree that getting a squared up sportcage for the rear of the JKU is a good idea. I have already talked to Gen-Right about this...

Everyone has a different level of safety practice. My kids have had atv's, dirtbikes, and skateboards. I've been called a bad parent for it..oh well.

This is all opinion based. Lets get past safety opinions and discuss hardware, components and setups.
very well put.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode