straight pipes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
straight pipes

i live in fl. we have no smog or emissions test. whats stopping me from running straight pipes?
i define straight pipe as header and pipe no cats.
or cutting the cats and putting the muffler right behind it.
or put a muffler directly behind the cats.

ive heard jeeps that have the aftermarket mufflers and exhaust. its still very quiet. i think it loses a lot of the pressure by the time it gets to the muffler to actually have a good sound. so cut out all the extra stuff where the pressure is higher?
cause i know i step on it and i hear the exhaust under the passenger floorboard.not in the back. at all.

im taking my muffler off next week to see how it sounds without it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 PM
Granite Guru

It's going to sound like an effed-up minivan.

2-door, locked, 5.13's, 37's.
post #3 of 25 Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Straight pipes will more than likely sound like ass with the 3.8 dude.

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Not to mention you'll likely LOSE power.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #5 of 25 Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

As I mentioned elsewhere. You'll lose power. It will sound like ass.

This is a bad idea.

post #6 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 01:36 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

If this question is related to your JK, don't do it. The shit is so computer controled with sensors everywhere its just not gonna run right imo.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #7 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 02:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

The JK's need the back-pressure in the exhaust system so as mentioned if you do this you will lose power. This is unfortunately true for a lot of the modern engines. They're all designed to be 'emissions friendly' which means they're designed to perform with the cats and mufflers in place, without them many will see a loss in power. Not positive but you might even have trouble keeping the engine running right without cats and 02 sensors as the ECM uses the readings to determine if the motor is running rich/lean and thus adjusts the fuel-air mixture accordingly. On another note, I've heard even going to a true dual exhaust on the JKs results in a loss in power because of the loss of back pressure.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #8 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 06:05 AM
Rock God

You only have hamsters under that hood to begin with. And the muffler is the only thing that stops them from escaping. You'll loose one without that it!

There's a guy in town that took his muffler off. It sounds like shit!
post #9 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 06:24 AM
JKO Addict!

I don't care for the sound of open exhaust and have heard it on a JK. It's a low displacement, low overlap little minivan motor..The 3.8L will also benefit from the backpressure.

I've gotten some comments on my knock-off flowmaster. Sounds alright.

When I was 18, I ran around with my 'Cuda dumped at the headers in Vegas. Sounded awesome, but it's annoying as hell. You don't want a daily driver that is annoyingly loud everywhere you go. It gets old on long highway trips..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

We dont have emissions either and I thought that since the stock 08 has 4 cats, might as well get rid of them and make some more power so I bought the Borla long tube headers - essentially exactly what you are asking for.

First off, I lost 10 HP as measured on the dyno right off the bat. I tried emailing Borla about this several times but no ever responded.

Second, good luck trying to dial in the sound. I matched it with a flow master 44 and at idle and lower PRM, it sounded great. Get into the higher rpm band, and you have a screaming prepubescent boy. I added an additional magnaflow reasonator and it got much better but still not perfect.

As for the electronics, you can turn all of that stuff off with a Diablo.

Based on my experiences, I would not spend the money on an exhaust side modification to this 3.8.
post #11 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 08:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

This is a bad idea.
So naturally he's gonna do it

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #12 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Read some of Offroadpr's early posts. He cut out the cats and faked it with extended bungs for the o2 sensors. Might be a fluke but the engine blew up in short order.

Like everybody else said, modern vehicles need all that stuff in place to run properly. You don't gain anything by removing it.

If you gotta do something just stick a flowmaster in line, get rid of the trash can muffler and call it a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_fjizzle View Post
So naturally he's gonna do it
Hahaha

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #13 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Did anyone order rice?

Trying to explain back pressure, valve overlap, and scavenging to people who don't really understand the mechanics of engines can be pretty difficult.

Corey, don't, that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 01-26-2012 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Lap, overlap, I knew what I meant damnit!
post #14 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Lol I'm not gonna do it. Might cut it after the cats. Put a muffler there. If I don't like the tone ill put on in the back lol. It might get the deeper tone at high rpms. Most are looking for. I'm trying to get it to be louder lol

post #15 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM
JKO Addict!

I went from a flowmaster to no muffler, I still have the cats, but I notice no power loss, actually the opposite. The back pressure the motor needs is provided by the 4 cats. I got a noticeable increase in power with muffler removed. It's a little louder than the flowmaster but not much, at our last jk run to the highlakes nobody even knew I had no muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #16 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
I went from a flowmaster to no muffler, I still have the cats, but I notice no power loss, actually the opposite. The back pressure the motor needs is provided by the 4 cats. I got a noticeable increase in power with muffler removed. It's a little louder than the flowmaster but not much, at our last jk run to the highlakes nobody even knew I had no muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
same here. except i just went to no muffler from stock. eventually i may put a FM in or something, but it sounds good to me and a few people have complimented on it too. i didnt notice a power loss or gain removing the muffler, but all my cats are still there.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #17 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
same here. except i just went to no muffler from stock. eventually i may put a FM in or something, but it sounds good to me and a few people have complimented on it too. i didnt notice a power loss or gain removing the muffler, but all my cats are still there.
X2 me and leman have been running this way for a coons age.. I think it sounds alright I took mine off bc I kept hitting it on stuff
post #18 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

This is a bad idea.
where is stigo with some sweet audio clips!?
post #19 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 06:57 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjeepr View Post
where is stigo with some sweet audio clips!?
Lmao!! I didn't want to throw him under the bus. I meant to ask him if he was going to correct that before KOH.

post #20 of 25 Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

lol i asked stigo for a video. maybe hell post it here too lol

post #21 of 25 Old 01-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Granite Guru

Mine was straight piped (after the CATS) for a couple of days after I did my long arm conversion, and it sounded like a lawn tractor gone horribly wrong!
post #22 of 25 Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Wheeler

Here's a video of my 2012 with the muffler removed.

Jeep JKU Pentastar Muffler Removed Startup - YouTube
post #23 of 25 Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Did you reinstall it? Kinda sounds like an outboard out of water

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #24 of 25 Old 01-28-2012, 01:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

i chopped my exhaust right past the cats and threw in a FM 44 which is basically under the driver seat and then ran a new pipe out to the back. my buttdyno says theres a little more power, the tone isnt too bad either. sounds a lot deeper than in ranjrs video and isnt too annoying on the highway.

the "brain" of the JK wasnt too happy with the new muffler at first, ran a little rough for the first few minutes but has been fine since

post #25 of 25 Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Did you reinstall it? Kinda sounds like an outboard out of water
I installed the new Dynomax dual tip kit.

Jeep JKU Rubicon Pentastar with Dynomax Muffler Kit 39510 F - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode