rustys offroad - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

rustys offroad

anybody ever use any of the rustys offroad products? just curious to see if any one was running or have ran any in the past. likes dislikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quality = not there at all

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Wheeler

I run the Rusty's 3.25 and have for a year. No sag, performs great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

im running their 2" lift and front bumper. the front sagged a bit after i put the bumper and winch on. but it still rides great. definitely better than stock.

and the bumper is pretty much a mopar clone and is pretty heavy duty. i cut mine down to a midwidth and added some a to z fab clevis mounts.

it probably wouldnt be my first choice for gear, but since they are local and i can pick up directly from them it saves on shipping.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #5 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 11:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

One of the hardest used JKU's I run with has a Rusty's lift and seems to be performing fine. I've got pics of it on Hal John's and Iceman in South Dakota somewhere on my hard drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #6 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Rock God

I have there control arms and trackbars no problems.
There control arms are beefy.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Rock God

Worst joints I've ever seen. Everything I've handled from Rustys has been junk. I certainly wouldn't trust them with critical components such as control arms and track bars. Do a little research and you'll see how many corners they cut.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Worst joints I've ever seen. Everything I've handled from Rustys has been junk. I certainly wouldn't trust them with critical components such as control arms and track bars. Do a little research and you'll see how many corners they cut.
thats just it i've searched and searched and couldnt find anything really bad about them so i thought i would just post it up and see what the pro's thought.
thanks for all the replies.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjeepr View Post
There control arms are beefy.
I know it's just me, but this term of description is like the sound of people dragging their fingernails accross a chalkboard in my mind.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PO'BOY View Post
thats just it i've searched and searched and couldnt find anything really bad about them so i thought i would just post it up and see what the pro's thought.
thanks for all the replies.
Keep searching. You'll find a lot more in TJ sections....they've been dealing with Rusty's shit for years. Just take my word for it and avoid them. There are much, much, much better parts out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
I know it's just me, but this term of description is like the sound of people dragging their fingernails accross a chalkboard in my mind.
Agreed. It's not like they're going to sell some 1"x.125 wall lower arms with 3/4" shanks. "Beef" has nothing to do with quality. I can thread those shitty Rustys 1.25" shank joints into a big 1.75"x.25" wall arm and it would be plenty beefy. Beefy doesn't matter when the joints are shit. I could also give you a heat treated chromolly 1.5" .125 wall tube that's stronger than the aforementioned 1.75" .25" wall tube. It's what's at the ends that matter, not what's in between.
post #11 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 06:18 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I ran a set of rear lower adjustable control arms when I first got my JK. The rubber bushings squeeked so freaking bad that it drove me crazy. Pulled them after a couple of weeks.

To be fair to them, this was when they first started making JK stuff so maybe they use better bushings now.

The XJ guys use a lot of Rusty's stuff. I'd check out an XJ forum for more info.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #12 of 21 Old 01-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Granite Guru

I had rustys on my Xj and the bushings went to shit. Thier shocks sux. My budy had their lift on his Xj and it saged. And the shocks blew as well. So save some more and go RK!

2012 Unlimited Rubicon
post #13 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 05:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Their 3.25" kit is good value for $. My only complaint was the trac bar joints are a bit small

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #14 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Granite Guru

Im about to buy the 3.25 basic kit ill let yall know how i like it
post #15 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol jk View Post
Im about to buy the 3.25 basic kit ill let yall know how i like it
lookin forward to hearing from you.
post #16 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
I didn't mean all of there stuff, but the fixed length control arms I have are a larger tubing than any of the control arms I've seen.
post #17 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 AM
JKO Addict!

I have purchase some of their brackets to replace the cheap ones on the factory axle and have to say they are heavy duty and well built. I was very pleased with them.
post #18 of 21 Old 01-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Rock God

i have the 3.25" front coil springs.. i replaced the stock springs n 2.5" spacers. the rusty's springs support the weight of my sb xrc bumper, the sb xrc8 winch n level the jeep.. i love the rusty's 3.25" front coil springs.

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

post #19 of 21 Old 01-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Wheeler

Garage

my buddy's former WJ had Rustys lift kit and the bushing were crap. he finally ordered a different kind and had no more issues. maybe they have got better maybe not. I personally don't use them.

2008 JK Sahara
post #20 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Granite Guru

On my wife's KJ, I ran the Rusty's 2 1/2" kit and rear diff skid. We put 60k miles on that lift and it was perfect, rode great and performed well. The diff armor was well made and heavy duty. I never had shock issues and it rode much better than stock.

So, for me, I have had good luck with Rusty's stuff.

'12 JKU, 6 speed, short arm lift, tires, wheels, winch, stubby, tire carrier, armor, blah blah blah...
post #21 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrclortho View Post

So, for me, I have had good luck with Rusty's stuff.
That's because the items you're using aren't critical and aren't nearly as exposed to questionable manufacturing, design, and quality practices. You'll get a much more accurate representation of the company once you compare their track bars and control arm joints/bushings to the good offerings on the market in terms of the materials used, quality of the finished parts, and customer service once the parts wear out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode