Lightest beadlock wheel and 38+ tire combo - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Lightest beadlock wheel and 38+ tire combo

I'm about to pull the trigger on some new tires. I want to run the 38.5 Pit Bull Mad Dog Radials. (the mad dogs weigh less the smaller the diameter of the wheel).

15" Mad Dogs weigh 80 lbs.
16.5" Mad Dogs weigh 87 lbs.
17" Mad Dogs weigh 92 lbs.

And I'm looking for beadlocks. The main point is this: what beadlock wheel will give me the least amount of hassle and weigh the least with this tire?

I've been seriously considering a 15" Raceline beadlock (monster rt231), but i'm worried that might be a little too much sidewall for sideways stability and it might get to the point where the tire is wrapping back over itself.

I've also been seriously considering the trailworthy fab recentered H1 beadlocks, but i know they are heavy. Are they that much heavier than a pricey alloy beadlock?

Racelines are pricey, but may be that much lighter that they'd break less shit on my rig. And as far as Racelines go, i've been looking at the 17" monster rt231 and the 17" rt81 (rock 8s). I can't find weight comparisons for the raceline wheels and i assume these rock 8s are steel. What kind of weight savings would there be between the monsters and the rock 8s? And weight savings over the recentered H1 beadlocks???

This'll be my first time running beadlocks so i want to make sure i choose wisely (and only choose once)...please help! even if vendors want to chime in, i'd be happy to hear more about the trailworthy fab h1s and the weight compared to racelines and the rest.

Thanks for the help...

These are the racelines,

rt231

rt81

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

I just picked up some atx slabs from Chris at jeepaddons
No idea the weight but he made me a smoking deal and it took ryan and I about 2 hours to mount 5 of them
I tossed air soft bb's in them to balance them

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #3 of 36 Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
I just picked up some atx slabs from Chris at jeepaddons
No idea the weight but he made me a smoking deal and it took ryan and I about 2 hours to mount 5 of them
I tossed air soft bb's in them to balance them
17s?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 01-23-2012, 09:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think Raceline makes beadlocks out of 6061 forged aluminum. IMO that would be the best place to start looking. I have their Monster Black beadlocks and love them. Took hardly anything to balance them.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #5 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 04:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
17s?
I picked up 17's they also make 15's all in 3.5 backspacing

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #6 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 AM
Granite Guru

I'd definitely check out the Racelines, they were about the lightest back when I was shopping.

That's how I wound up with the 20"
Raceline w/ 40" Pitbull combo on mine.

2008 RUBICON 2DR
TERAFLEX 3" Full FlexArm Lift
JKS ACOS Adjustable Coil Spacers (5.5" Total)
FOX 2.0 Resivour Shocks
20"x10" Rockathon Beadlocks
39.5x16.50R20 Pitbull Rocker Bias Ply
Total Height 83.25"
post #7 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 AM
Rock God

Check out these wheels
Method probably makes the strongest, lightest wheel on the market right now. I want to say a 17" wheel is 33 pounds and the 15" wheel around 25 pounds.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 07:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Those Method wheels are sweet. Zach your 2 dr is gonna look crazy with 38+!!!
post #9 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 08:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownJK View Post
Check out these wheels
Method probably makes the strongest, lightest wheel on the market right now. I want to say a 17" wheel is 33 pounds and the 15" wheel around 25 pounds.
I researched these alot before I bought my Walkers. They are def one of the lightest but they dont use thread inserts so I dont neccessarily agree with your "strongest" comment.
post #10 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Rock God

If they're working in Baja and short course over 100mph I'd say that's pretty strong. Generally for the high speed guys they break wheel centers and I've seen numerous racelines break. I've yet to have or read a issue with a method in the strength department.
The Walkers are a great wheel too, can't go wrong there.

Like us on

post #11 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 09:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownJK View Post
If they're working in Baja and short course over 100mph I'd say that's pretty strong. Generally for the high speed guys they break wheel centers and I've seen numerous racelines break. I've yet to have or read a issue with a method in the strength department.
The Walkers are a great wheel too, can't go wrong there.
I didnt mean to imply that Methods are weak. The company comes from a baja racing background where the side of their wheels doesnt rub against rocks all that often. In a rock crawling environment, I think the lack of thread inserts could be more of an issue as the bolt heads come in contact with the rocks. I guess we will see if this is an issue or not as more people use these wheels in a crawling environment.
post #12 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Rock God

Right on, I didn't mean to come out in a argumentative way and I understand what you're saying about the inserts. Generally when I have a talk about wheels with someone here, they happen to race so when they ask about strength, wheel centers pops in my head, bad habits.
We'll be racing with these wheels this year on the JK so we'll put them to the test and throw so feedback out.

Like us on

post #13 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

anybody got thoughts on the 15 vs 17?
again, this'll be with a 38.5 tire.

I'm digging those method wheels...they'd look real pretty on my silver 2 door...just not sure how blingy they'd end up looking. Despite the shiny aspect of them, something about em is growing on me.

But damn, looks like they weigh 24 lbs. in the 15" size...thats about half the weight of the H1 recentered beadlocks. Definitely significant.

still can't find any weight figures for the racelines...i may have to actually call the company! yikes!

another issue i need to account for is the thickness of the sidewall of the mad dogs.

Last edited by Joneszj; 01-24-2012 at 07:12 PM.
post #14 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

also, with the method wheels, i buy them blank and drill em out? i have a machine shop local that could do the work.

post #15 of 36 Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 PM
V8 dreams

Subscribed, gonna have to see this combo!

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #16 of 36 Old 01-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Rock God

If you buy the wheels through us we can have them drilled from a minimal charge if any since we can discount the wheels pretty good. Our prices on our website are not for forum members.
Im personally a 17" wheel guy, I feel there are a lot more options for tires with a 17" wheel vs a 15" wheel when you get over a 36" tire. That's the only reason I would go with a 17, you're not going to have a sidewall issue with a 15" wheel or those tires. I know their main tire is know for having stiff sidewalls until they break in after some heavy wheeling so 15" may be a better option for you if you really plan on using the combo hard.

Like us on

post #17 of 36 Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Where did you get those weights? I haven't seen a tire that gets lighter as the wheel diameter decreases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #18 of 36 Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Where did you get those weights? I haven't seen a tire that gets lighter as the wheel diameter decreases.
Weights are listed on Method's site.

You havent seen a tire or a wheel that gets lighter as diameter decreases?? Because the smaller the diameter of the wheel, the less material used = less weight.
post #19 of 36 Old 01-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

I've got the 17" Raceline Monsters. I don't run Baja -- not that I wouldn't want too! -- so they're plenty strong for the weekend wheelin' I do. They balanced easily (even with a chuncked up set of 35" Toyo's) and don't leak air.

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
post #20 of 36 Old 01-25-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post

Mad dog in 15" diameter = 80 lbs
Mad dog in 17" diameter = 92 lbs

If i were to run 15s I dont see the tire choice as a real limitation as i plan to run the mad dogs. In the future, looking down the road the only natural choice beyond that would be the rockers or if i make the jump to a bias irok. and both come in 15s. I was thinking with the stiff sidewalls the 38.5 on the 15 rim might actually work out nice. i've all but decided at this point...

post #21 of 36 Old 01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Youre brake upgrades are limited with a 15" wheel and if you ever decide to upgrade to a D60 front, most of the modern one ton brakes wont clear.

Personally, i would go with a 17" wheel/tire combo for future planning.
post #22 of 36 Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bringing this thread back because i'm finally going to be pulling the trigger on new tires. Decided to hold off on beadlocks so i am keeping my current wheels.

here's my dilemma...i want to run radials because of the on road manners.

I am between

38.5 Mad dogs - weight = 95 lbs.
37 Irok radials - weight = 89 lbs.
365/75 BFG KM2 - weight = 82 lbs.

So that is it from heaviest to lightest. And my main concern is weight. If weight were my only concern, i would go KM2s. Issue with KM2s is that they have weak sidewalls and in this size are close to 14.5 inches wide - so not sure about that one. I've been leaning toward the mad dogs because of the size - but the extra weight scares me a little. The irok radial seems like a good compromise, but I can't seem to find a clear answer whether they run true to size or small. I want every bit of a 37.

Has anyone on here run the irok radials? do they run true to size?

Is 6 lbs. per tire really something I should be concerned with or does i just say fuggit and pull the trigger on the mad dogs?

post #23 of 36 Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Rock God

You know my thoughts on the matter....

Mad dogs cough cough

2008 X 2-door, 35" Duratacs, Clayton Long-arm, geared and locked

2012 Rubi 2-door, 37" Nittos, Method Beadlocks, JKS Suspension, JCR everything
post #24 of 36 Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Rock God

subscribed. I was curious about weight issues the other week when I upgrade to 37s.

are you wondering about the weight issues since you will be running it on a D30?

2007 Wrangler X - Jeep Green, 4" lift, 4.88s, locked rear, custom bumper/fender/cage, rolling on 35s w/ 15s
post #25 of 36 Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Lightest beadlock wheel and 38+ tire combo

Is that the only choices? Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode