RC BB vs. Tera BB - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

RC BB vs. Tera BB

Rough Country has a BB kit (#603) that sells for $180 and has 2.5" poly spacers, rear sway links, shock brackets, rear track bar bracket, hardware, etc.

Teraflex has a virtually identical kit, but theirs sells for $350.

The ONLY difference I can see between the two is that the Tera kit addresses the bumpstops.

I hate RC like the plague. I'll NEVER buy a spring lift from them again after the debacle that happened with my father's CJ. But a poly spacer is a poly spacer...right? I mean, you can't really screw up a spacer can you?

So here's my question.. WHY is the Tera kit almost twice the money for the exact same thing? I assume I am missing something here...or haven't seen something in the details yet. Opinions on just these two kits?

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
3/4" Daystar spacers/extra OE spacers up front
Airaid MXP intake kit
33x12.50 GY Duratracs on MB 72s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 06:27 AM
JKO Addict!

I have no idea, that's why I ran the RC for about two years with no problems. Also ran 35s without needing bumpstops.

RC front shock extensions, aesthetically look much better than Terras as well.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 07:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i like name brand stuff and teraflex is what i am going with... but rough country is good for the name!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Rough Country has a BB kit (#603) that sells for $180 and has 2.5" poly spacers, rear sway links, shock brackets, rear track bar bracket, hardware, etc.

Teraflex has a virtually identical kit, but theirs sells for $350.

The ONLY difference I can see between the two is that the Tera kit addresses the bumpstops.

I hate RC like the plague. I'll NEVER buy a spring lift from them again after the debacle that happened with my father's CJ. But a poly spacer is a poly spacer...right? I mean, you can't really screw up a spacer can you?

So here's my question.. WHY is the Tera kit almost twice the money for the exact same thing? I assume I am missing something here...or haven't seen something in the details yet. Opinions on just these two kits?
Another thing to consider is, the RC lift doesn't use poly spacers. The spacers are metal. I put the RC lift on my JKUR back in Dec and have no issues with it so far. With 35's it actually rides better than stock (soaks up the bumps). A lot of that could be the tires, but you are using mostly stock suspension parts. I have no experience with the TF kit, but the RC components are beafy.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Spacers and shock extensions are spacers and shock extensions, period. Unless one is made of fired clay or butter solids. Go beyond spacers and extensions and no doubt you'll want to ditch RC and go for a higher quality kit. I'd go with the RC on this one.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #6 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Another thing to consider is, the RC lift doesn't use poly spacers. The spacers are metal. I put the RC lift on my JKUR back in Dec and have no issues with it so far. With 35's it actually rides better than stock (soaks up the bumps). A lot of that could be the tires, but you are using mostly stock suspension parts. I have no experience with the TF kit, but the RC components are beafy.
Oh really? I didn't know that. I thought RC used poly spacers.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
Airaid MXP intake kit
post #7 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

loved the teraflex kit when I had it. Very complete kit, made well. Eventually you will want to upgrade anyway
post #8 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Oh really? I didn't know that. I thought RC used poly spacers.
No, but given you keep the factory spring isolator with RC metal spacers...I don't think it'll make any difference what-so-ever on spacer material. As far as vibes/ride/etc

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Do some research and you'll find people have had the TF spacers crack over time. Why would a company use poly spacers when the original setup is metal spring on metal perch. Reason: It's cheaper to produce.

I've had the RC BB for 2.5 years with the shock spacers with absolutely no problems. The spacers are very well made and I never gave them a second thought. Swap the rear links to the front and get new rear links or make your own.

Don't over think it, they're just spacers.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #10 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 09:55 AM
JKO Addict!

I've been running the Teraflex Budget Boost since mid 2007. No issues with mine what so ever.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Do some research and you'll find people have had the TF spacers crack over time. Why would a company use poly spacers when the original setup is metal spring on metal perch. Reason: It's cheaper to produce.

I've had the RC BB for 2.5 years with the shock spacers with absolutely no problems. The spacers are very well made and I never gave them a second thought. Swap the rear links to the front and get new rear links or make your own.

Don't over think it, they're just spacers.
TeraFlex has had a few spacers that did fail due to air pockets/ bad material. Anyone that had this issue and contacted TeraFlex were sent replacements. Some have failed yes but all of them are not going to fail over time. TeraFlex has sold 1,000's of these over the years with little/no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
I've been running the Teraflex Budget Boost since mid 2007. No issues with mine what so ever.
Thanks!

801-713-3314
post #12 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

teraflex swoops in for the win! i say get the 6" lojng arm and end it!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #13 of 13 Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Alright guys.. thanks for the information and experience. I appreciate the help.

Being as my JKU has only 11,000 on the clock, my shocks and coils are still practically new and I'm not ready to throw them in the trash just yet. But this BB kit will work great for me until I get some more mileage on this puppy. Thanks again.

2012 Dozer JKU Sport
ACE rock rails
Airaid MXP intake kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode