Minor trail carnage today, future prevention - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Minor trail carnage today, future prevention

Today going over an obstacle that basically was a steep climb followed by a washed out section. When the front axle dropped into the washed out portion the front sway bar, e-disco disconnected, swung forward over the top of the tie rod and drag link. When the Jeep came down the end links wrapped around the tie rod. At the same time the front drive shaft banged the crossmember tearing the boot on the center of the shaft. Removed the end links, swung the swaybar back and zip tied it to the frame, and cut the piece of driveshaft boot off that was slapping around. Drove it home with swaybar disconnected and the light flashing in my face. After I replace the end links how can I prevent having the same issue again? Could I have jacked the e-disco, or should the light go out after I get the links replaced and the swaybar positioned correctly? Can I run factory length links until longer one show up? Lastly, should I worry about the drive shaft boot? Thanks for the advice!

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Last edited by snksknr94; 01-15-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 PM
JKO Addict!

You probably zip tied it so the sides of the bar are higher than horizontal while it was e-disconnected and the light is just telling you the system thinks the swaybar is disconnected (because it is). It will go out right away if you let the swaybar lock itself in the normal horizontal position with it turned on (i.e. electronically connected ). Obviously it's not going function without the links but the light will go out.

Are you lifted? If so you probably want longer links. The sway bar side ends need to be close to horizontal with the frame on level ground. I have aftermarket links that were set too short at one point and did the same thing a couple of times.

The front DS boot ripping off is also common on lifted JKs. For the short term the boot missing won't hurt but in the long term you will need an aftermarket front DS.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 303-918-6167

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
| 888-521-0170
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 04:37 AM
Rock God

Get rid of the e-disco and get manual disengaged sway links. Every Rubicon owner I know has stupid problems with the e-disco system whether it's inverting sway links or the e-disco not connecting or disconnecting the sway. IMO, it's garbage.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Ours filled with water and died. Look for a take off non e disco one. The dealership can kill the light.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #5 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 06:37 AM
JKO Addict!

I did this myself on Sat because I forgot to manually disconnect and I got both wheels off the ground while on a climb.
There are really 2 ways to not have this happen, either go with manual disconnects or keep your rubi one and add axle straps so you wont droop far enough that the sway bar can swing around to the front.

As for the driveshaft the spline boot is there to keep debreis out of the splines. If you can find a spot to tap in a grease zert you could keep it lubed and run it a good long time. I would like to find one with a torn boot so I could take it apart and find the best spot to do this. The cv joint is a good design in the factory driveshaft and It can save you from having to buy a new shaft.

Driveshaftparts.com has both the spline boot and the cv joint boot for sale for the jk driveshaft. They are $25 each.

Last edited by thedirtman; 01-16-2012 at 06:46 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
You probably zip tied it so the sides of the bar are higher than horizontal while it was e-disconnected and the light is just telling you the system thinks the swaybar is disconnected (because it is). It will go out right away if you let the swaybar lock itself in the normal horizontal position with it turned on (i.e. electronically connected ). Obviously it's not going function without the links but the light will go out.

Are you lifted? If so you probably want longer links. The sway bar side ends need to be close to horizontal with the frame on level ground. I have aftermarket links that were set too short at one point and did the same thing a couple of times.

The front DS boot ripping off is also common on lifted JKs. For the short term the boot missing won't hurt but in the long term you will need an aftermarket front DS.
I am lifted. Just going to put the stock links back in temporarily, until I order be longer ones. Thanks for all the info.

Aaron
post #7 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 06:58 AM
JKO Addict!

If you are going to order new ones just get some jks quicker disconnects they will work with your rubi disconnect and will allow you to do it manually should the need arise, plus they are adjustable so you can dial in the exact height you want.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
Get rid of the e-disco and get manual disengaged sway links. Every Rubicon owner I know has stupid problems with the e-disco system whether it's inverting sway links or the e-disco not connecting or disconnecting the sway. IMO, it's garbage.
I've been lucky, other than bending the link a couple of times which was solved when I adjusted them to be longer my e-disco has always worked. I have several friends with Rubi's who have not had any problems over the years which could be because we don't really have mud/water wheeling out here. It's convenient to be able to engage and disengage it on tippy ledges and things, I kinda like it.

Having said that, when it does eventually fail for good I won't replace it and will go with anti-rocks.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #9 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snksknr94 View Post
I am lifted. Just going to put the stock links back in temporarily, until I order be longer ones. Thanks for all the info.
These are what I use http://www.eadoffroad.com/jeep/wrang...sway-bar-links which can be upgraded to manual quick release if you decide to dump the e-disco http://www.eadoffroad.com/jeep/wrang...mount-hardware.

A lot of folks suggest giving up on the Rubicon e-disco but personally I'd stick with it since your problem is easily fixed with longer links.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #10 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
These are what I use http://www.eadoffroad.com/jeep/wrang...sway-bar-links which can be upgraded to manual quick release if you decide to dump the e-disco http://www.eadoffroad.com/jeep/wrang...mount-hardware.

A lot of folks suggest giving up on the Rubicon e-disco but personally I'd stick with it since your problem is easily fixed with longer links.
I was using the Rock Krawler links that come with the stock mod lift.

Aaron
post #11 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

When I was running my stock driveline and stock skids I had to notch the skid and remove the boot. Also I'm in AZ and I am always finding extended links on Craigslist. So you might want to try there. It seems most guys ask 40 - 50 dollars.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-16-2012, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11bravojk View Post
When I was running my stock driveline and stock skids I had to notch the skid and remove the boot. Also I'm in AZ and I am always finding extended links on Craigslist. So you might want to try there. It seems most guys ask 40 - 50 dollars.
I took the lip off it already, guess I need to get the grinder out again and get a little more aggressive.

I put the stock links back in temporarily but the light is still on. I'm guessing due to the bar still not being horizontal. Guess I'll disconnect it again, swing the bar perfectly horizontal and try again. Thanks for the assistance everyone.

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode