800 HP Chevy LS JK Daily Driver - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 Old 01-15-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

800 HP Chevy LS JK Daily Driver

Looks like it's going to happen.

Edelbrock has dynoed this LSx 6.2 to over 750 HP with their new truck blower.

We are building the drivetrain and Rock Solid is building the JK. We will strengthen the mounts and chassis.

If all goes well we may offer an aluminum version in the future. The goal is a daily driver like a ZR1 Corvette. We considered a LSx 454 but it would sacrifice too much drivability.

Why 800 HP in a JK? Well I'm sure there are reasons. I like the challange. Everything will work like it should.

I tried to talk Gorden into a 4l80 transmission but he won't go back from the 6 speed auto. This will pose it's own challenge.

So stay tuned, with a little luck it will happen.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

More power.... Scotty I need more power! -subscribed

Last edited by 4x4x4; 01-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.
post #3 of 66 Old 01-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

This is my new obsession, putting an LS in my JK! My '11 Silverado goes pretty damn good with the 5.3, I can imagine how nice it would make the JK's drivability.

Do you have a link or know the exact name of the blower? My brother has been looking for the most powerful power adder on his Escalade. I like the STS kits but 750HP sounds much better!

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
Jersey Kustoms Front/Rear Bumpers and Sliders
Engo 10000 Winch
Skyjacker 4" Value Flex Lift
16" Ion Alloys
35" Baja MTZ Radials
K&N Drop In
Thrush Custom Cat-back
VHT Markers and Taillights
Jersey Kustoms Tramp Stamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 Old 01-15-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SaharaM6 View Post
This is my new obsession, putting an LS in my JK! My '11 Silverado goes pretty damn good with the 5.3, I can imagine how nice it would make the JK's drivability.

Do you have a link or know the exact name of the blower? My brother has been looking for the most powerful power adder on his Escalade. I like the STS kits but 750HP sounds much better!
Look at the Edelbrock site. Their supercharger is similar to the LS9 with the intercooler in the intake, keeps it compact and simple.

BTW the LSx iron blocks are good for 1,000+ hp. The aluminum blocks are pushing the limit at 650+ HP IMHO.

Sent from my M886 using Tapatalk

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #5 of 66 Old 01-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Rock God

With all that power your gonna need a pro rock 80 full float or a currie dana 70 full float!

Can't wait to see this one!
post #6 of 66 Old 01-15-2012, 10:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

This is just insanity...And I LOVE IT!! 800hp JK??? YES PLEASE. lol. Wish I could afford it...and the tires that I'd be wasting at every stop light when a corvette pulls up next to me.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #7 of 66 Old 01-16-2012, 07:02 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
This is just insanity...And I LOVE IT!! 800hp JK??? YES PLEASE. lol. Wish I could afford it...and the tires that I'd be wasting at every stop light when a corvette pulls up next to me.
Yeah! The tire bill would be enormous!
post #8 of 66 Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Here it is guys, very compact for so much power. They have the supercharger and an air to water intercooler in the intake. Should make the air intake tube a breeze without all the extra plumbing.

Looks like it will fit under the stock hood too. As a bonus the LSx block has the accessory mounting holes the production iron blocks don't, should allow our drive to bolt right on; although, we will need to do some mods to accommodate the supercharger pulley.

Edelbrock claims little to no reduction in fuel economy with their supercharger so it will be interesting to see what this 6.2 can do as a DD.

Robbie.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #9 of 66 Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's cuter than a speckled pup. I want.

I snapped two front shafts simultaniously last month. I bet I could snap all four with that. Right on.

Sent via Scud Missile.
post #10 of 66 Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Wheeler

Awesome they had that supercharger on horsepower tv last weekend. Seems like a real professional kit
post #11 of 66 Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 AM
Granite Guru

Now that is nice. I need to look into ls swap it would be nice to have some GM power again in my vehicle
post #12 of 66 Old 02-04-2012, 07:40 AM
Rock God

With all these LS conversions available from Motech i dont understand why people are still going Hemi
post #13 of 66 Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Very nice.
post #14 of 66 Old 02-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Wheeler

I'm interested in a V8 JK and i haven't decided on what engine swap (Hemi Vs LS). I read that LS engines have a reputation of cracking engine heads and eat valves. Also when comparing stock engines hp/tq, i found that HEMIs out perform LSs (except for LSX). On the other hand,HEMIs are overpriced and heavy. Beside some people complain that the Hemi swap output is below expectation.

I'm looking for a fast 0-60 JK with some off-road capability (keeping the front axle)

Any thoughts
post #15 of 66 Old 02-05-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuqi View Post
I'm interested in a V8 JK and i haven't decided on what engine swap (Hemi Vs LS). I read that LS engines have a reputation of cracking engine heads and eat valves. Also when comparing stock engines hp/tq, i found that HEMIs out perform LSs (except for LSX). On the other hand,HEMIs are overpriced and heavy. Beside some people complain that the Hemi swap output is below expectation.

I'm looking for a fast 0-60 JK with some off-road capability (keeping the front axle)

Any thoughts
Properly installed it's unlikely you will have a mechanical failure with either engine. The Jeep electronics are the most likely thing to fail. The LS does have the option to run in a stand alone mode if the Jeep network goes down.

Most Gen IV LS truck engines do not run an EGR valve if that is what you are referring to.

The LS is smaller, lighter and easier to cool. Less mods to the chassis and suspension are required with the LS. The Hemi enjoys better can bus integration with the JK making the electronic interface easier.

If using an automatic the 6 speed GM transmission is superior to the Chrysler counterpart. Much of the LS's mileage and performance is due to the transmission.

Either engine will support the hp you desire. The LS can be had in stock form from about 300 to over 600hp.

Base your decision on cost, availability of replacement parts, mileage, weight, ease of installation, ease of tuning, integration, and other factors.

I have a secure feeling with the LS in a JK when I'm wheeling. I know the TIPM could fail and I would keep going. It's a very simple engine with very reliable electronics. The LS has several self protection modes. A couple years ago I had a customer drive an aluminum LS 5.3 off a mountain in summer running at over 275 degrees when his cooling fan failed, it went into a reduced power mode. That LS still runs great today.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #16 of 66 Old 02-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
Properly installed it's unlikely you will have a mechanical failure with either engine. The Jeep electronics are the most likely thing to fail. The LS does have the option to run in a stand alone mode if the Jeep network goes down.

Most Gen IV LS truck engines do not run an EGR valve if that is what you are referring to.

The LS is smaller, lighter and easier to cool. Less mods to the chassis and suspension are required with the LS. The Hemi enjoys better can bus integration with the JK making the electronic interface easier.

If using an automatic the 6 speed GM transmission is superior to the Chrysler counterpart. Much of the LS's mileage and performance is due to the transmission.

Either engine will support the hp you desire. The LS can be had in stock form from about 300 to over 600hp.

Base your decision on cost, availability of replacement parts, mileage, weight, ease of installation, ease of tuning, integration, and other factors.

I have a secure feeling with the LS in a JK when I'm wheeling. I know the TIPM could fail and I would keep going. It's a very simple engine with very reliable electronics. The LS has several self protection modes. A couple years ago I had a customer drive an aluminum LS 5.3 off a mountain in summer running at over 275 degrees when his cooling fan failed, it went into a reduced power mode. That LS still runs great today.

Thanks for the valuable inputs. I guess based on those factors u mentioned (cost, weight, spare parts, tuning, and installation) LS would be the right choice.
What about 6 speed manual trans? which one of the two would u say a better hockup?
One more thing, since i'm interested in building a fast 0-60 JK, does that mean i must get rid of the front axle and transfer case (to get the weight down)? Or can i keep them and still get away with it?
post #17 of 66 Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Here it is guys, very compact for so much power. They have the supercharger and an air to water intercooler in the intake. Should make the air intake tube a breeze without all the extra plumbing.

Looks like it will fit under the stock hood too. As a bonus the LSx block has the accessory mounting holes the production iron blocks don't, should allow our drive to bolt right on; although, we will need to do some mods to accommodate the supercharger pulley.

Edelbrock claims little to no reduction in fuel economy with their supercharger so it will be interesting to see what this 6.2 can do as a DD.

Robbie.
Dear God...what does a beast like that cost?? lol. What are the plans for a trans and drive train upgrades with this engine? I'd imagine something more than the stock rubi axles would be in store for 800hp.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #18 of 66 Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Screw HP... what's the torque rated at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #19 of 66 Old 02-05-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Screw HP... what's the torque rated at?
Edelbrock designed the intake runners and blower with torque in mind. I may have the dyno sheet but I'm told it's over 700 ft/lb's. The stock ZR1 has 638 hp with 604 ft/lb's of torque. The aluminum blocks can't handle the hp and torque the iron LSx blocks can.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #20 of 66 Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
Dear God...what does a beast like that cost?? lol. What are the plans for a trans and drive train upgrades with this engine? I'd imagine something more than the stock rubi axles would be in store for 800hp.
Our mounting brackets are way overbuilt, so we are going to run them. We may have to go with new isolators and limit straps. The JK frame is quite strong, but there will be some beefing up.

Gordon is replacing both axles, suspension, driveshafts, etc. Gordon specializes in hd drivetrains so he is up to the challenge. I believe were running an Atlas.

We going to run a 6l80 or 90, were told they will handle over 800 ft/lb's of torque, non continous.

We are actually being conservative with the mods since we hope to offer an aluminum 625 hp version in the future and we would hope to identify any weakness's.

After talking to Edelbrock we hope to price the engine at $12-14k. This is a bargain for so much hp with drivability.

MoTech
725-502-8507

post #21 of 66 Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Our mounting brackets are way overbuilt, so we are going to run them. We may have to go with new isolators and limit straps. The JK frame is quite strong, but there will be some beefing up.

Gordon is replacing both axles, suspension, driveshafts, etc. Gordon specializes in hd drivetrains so he is up to the challenge. I believe were running an Atlas.

We going to run a 6l80 or 90, were told they will handle over 800 ft/lb's of torque, non continous.

We are actually being conservative with the mods since we hope to offer an aluminum 625 hp version in the future and we would hope to identify any weakness's.

After talking to Edelbrock we hope to price the engine at $12-14k. This is a bargain for so much hp with drivability.
Thats pretty impressive. I'm curious to see the build and will definitely be following it. 12-14k isn't bad at all for that much HP/TQ along with streetability out of the box. I can definitely understand wanting to find the weaknesses, as you're better off if you can identify the areas prone to breakage before hand than beefing it up and just hoping you covered everything. Axles and transfer case are a must though IMO.

I'm really hoping to be able to do a naturally aspirated 6.2 at some point in the future. But I want a manual trans so I'm hoping by the time I can afford to do it you guys will have that option. I think it will be more than enough power for a 2dr LOL.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #22 of 66 Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Granite Guru

I have a Hemi, and had there been as complete of a drop in kit for the LS, I would have gone with that. The Hemi is quite heavy, and doesn't have the same power as the LS. Unless I want a custom tune, my next power upgrade option is to put in a 6.4 (which I may). With an LS the options are limitless.

What companies are offering very complete swap kits for the LS?

07 Rubicon Unlimited - Teraflex 3" prerunner lift, 35's, 5.7 Hemi using AEV kit, Teraflex CRD60 rear with 5:13 gears all around.
post #23 of 66 Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM
Rock God

Pnut Motech is the only company who can provide complete hassle free conversion. Their customer service is awsome and they are trying new things all the time.
Only company who can provide 6l80e with tab shift mated. I remember talking to you regarding hemi converstion. After spending 25k on hemi conversion if i still cant spin my tires whats the use.

I am going with Motech 6.2 LS3 complete install with 6L80e and atlas 2 speed.
post #24 of 66 Old 02-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Rock God

These guys have some super stout upgrades for the 6L80E...

http://www.the-transmission-center.com/6l80__6l90.htm
post #25 of 66 Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
I have a Hemi, and had there been as complete of a drop in kit for the LS, I would have gone with that. The Hemi is quite heavy, and doesn't have the same power as the LS. Unless I want a custom tune, my next power upgrade option is to put in a 6.4 (which I may). With an LS the options are limitless.

What companies are offering very complete swap kits for the LS?
They will offer this for the hemi
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...gers/chrysler/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode