Are steel/aluminum fenders worth it? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Are steel/aluminum fenders worth it?

Taking a poll to see if anyone thinks that steel/aluminum fenders are worth the price? I love the look og genright alum, poison spyder steel and alum, love off road evolution(pricy). Just curious what ya'll think.. Also like metal cloak!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I currently have PSC steel flares and would like to drop a little weight and go with the PSC aluminum flares. Other than that I really like my steel flares.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 PM
JKO Addict!

I really like the look of the PSC & Genright flares but just can't get my head around the weight gain with steel flares and the cost of either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Rock God

Garage

I love my steel PSC flares. Yes they are a little heavy, but for me its worth it. I tore off one of my front stock flares and from there ordered the PSC flares and never looked back. I went with steel because I play in the rocks a lot, and while I haven't really done much for hitting my fenders yet its only a matter of time as I'm building up my Jeep and making the transition to bigger lift/tires. Plus I have a 2dr so I won't have as much weight as you guys with the unlimiteds. If I had an unlimited I may have thought twice about going with the steel.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have steel PSC flares and for me, it's the piece of mind that if I slide into a rock, they are there to protect the Jeep.

[
post #6 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I personally dont think they are worth it. If I had the extra cash sure I would run them. But I think there are better ways to spend that money and just cut the stock flares, maybe bushwacker flats
post #7 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 08:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It is going to depend on where you go and what you do... Fenders are just armor that looks pretty!

Sent via horse and buggy

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #8 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

I agree with you guys, I wouldn't have done my fenders as soon. But when I tore one off it was kind of the best time to do it rather than spending money on another stock one so it worked out and I like them.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Im kinda diggin the nemesis ones....just found them!!! Who sells them?
post #10 of 22 Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Wheeler

I have steel GenRights and for 399 each you can't beat them I like if I rub against a tree or rock I shoot them with rattle can and move on no worries.

BDS 4 1/2" Lift 1" DayStar Body lift, 1 3/4" Rusty's Offroad Front & Rear Adjustable Trac Bar
ATLAS 5:1 Twin Stick Transfer Case
37" Cooper STT Tires
Moto Metal 17" Wheels
Rugged Ridge Front Bumper
LOD Stubby Rear Bumper
Warn Winch
Hella Offraod Lights/ PIAA Offroad LIghts
Gen Right Fenders
Poison Spyder Rockergaurds
AirRaid Intake
Superchip
Evo Front Sleeves & Gussets
EVO High Steer
HD Tie Rod
5.38 Yukon Gears
Solid Dana 44 Front & Rear Covers
Adams Front & Rear Drivelines
post #11 of 22 Old 01-15-2012, 01:02 AM
JKO Addict!

I love my ACE flares. I really don't think you can beat the looks or quality of them for the price.

Greg
post #12 of 22 Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Granite Guru

Im with Greg you cant beat Ace flats. Built very well . great price!
post #13 of 22 Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've been watching the guys on the trails. What folds now will dent if you go to metal. I will probably go Plastic flatties.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #14 of 22 Old 01-15-2012, 08:05 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

I've driven out of multiple spots where I was completely on my side, with minimal damage to the tub (yes.... you read that right).

Trust me.... the armor is worth the cost of admission and you will not regret the extra few pounds left on your Jeep and in your wallet. Of course, your mileage may vary based upon the type of wheeling you do.... no rocks?, stick to the stock flares or go aftermarket for looks (apparently I am in the minority, but feel the cut up ones look like shit). If good looks are your goal and you have no need for actual armor, go AL.... otherwise be smart and go steel.
post #15 of 22 Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Granite Guru

After a tree jumped out in front of me and tore off one of my front fender flares, I replaced them with steel Smittybilt flat fender flares. When I ordered them they were a bargain @ $270. The shipped weight was 43lbs. I am guessing the weight breaks even with the factory flares. I haven't laid it on its side so I can't report strength but they have to be stronger than stock. They do not have built in turn signals but if needed the factory ones could be Jerry rigged to fit somehow. They were easy to install, the hardest part was bending my rubi rocker rail back near its original position. As previously reported they are not a perfect fit but seem close enough to me.

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #16 of 22 Old 01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
JKO Addict!

I got a great deal on some Xenon narrows and will try them first. Concerned they'll make my 37s look like 31s.
post #17 of 22 Old 01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
I've been watching the guys on the trails. What folds now will dent if you go to metal. I will probably go Plastic flatties.
I used to think the same thing but I now know better. I have multiple dents in my fenders from my Xenon flares pushing up into the fender while rubbing on some rocks. I also had a Xenon flare shatter in the cold after a snow trip fender bender which also bent my fender in and twister the fender support by my grill. So I now feel that at least with steel or aluminum fender flares impacts are more evenly distributed and offer more protection.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #18 of 22 Old 01-16-2012, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

I personally see no reason to go to steel fenders, and even aluminum is questionable. Steels adds a bunch of unnecessary weight and is only attached to the tin-foil body in the end anyway. Ask me how well it works attaching really strong bits to the body and what happens when you take a big hit. Aluminum mitigates the weight, but they still will transfer hard impacts to the body.

If more clearance is needed than there are Xenons and Bushwacker flatties that will fold a bit if they get crunched. And they are about half the price and light weight. People will say, 'What about protection'? Your tires and wheels will bear the brunt of impacts, and you're got to be in one hell of a compromising position to reach the body where a flare would be before hitting the tire. And if you do reach that point, you should probably be in a buggy or something that you don't care about body damage anyway.

So it depends on your type of wheeling but be absolutely sure you need them, otherwise they are a waste.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by BADGER; 01-16-2012 at 08:21 AM.
post #19 of 22 Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazecodyk View Post
They get my vote. I have seen there stuff take a beating first hand.

They are a vendor on here so you can contact them directly.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 AM

I went with the PSC Crusher aluminum flares. I love the look and weight is not to bad. I think the fronts are 11lbs each and rears are 9lbs. Granted I have not hit anything with them yet but they have two support brackets for each flares and seems like they could take a pretty good hit without damaging the body

Tereflex 3" Elite LCG Long Arm - PSC Bumpers & Flares - Ripp SC & Headers
post #21 of 22 Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazecodyk View Post
You can call us anytime...303-974-2465.

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

Follow us on
post #22 of 22 Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Rock God

Having installed my psc steel flares, i can tell you they dont just attach to the flimsy sheet metal. Their attachment points tie into the jeep very well. When they do make contact, the impact is distributed along the whole length of the flare. If i hit something with enough force to deform the sheet metal, i'm confident i'll have bigger problems to worry about...

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode