Rubicrawler owners- I'd like some info please! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rubicrawler owners- I'd like some info please!

I'm contemplating a Rubicrawler as well! Couple questions:

1. With my eventual planned 5.13 gears, my crawl ratio would be approx 158.5:1, is this excessive for an auto? (I've had a manual rig with 117:1 crawl ratio and loved it but, no experience with an ultra low slush box) Do those of y'all that have a Rubicrawler find yourselves utilizing the full low range very often? Or the 2.72:1 low very often? (in lieu of stock 4:1)

2. How tough is the install? (I'd like to be able to put it in myself, if possible)

3. To be quite frank, have you found it to be a worthwhile addition?

4. To those with stock Rubi lockers, what have you done toward getting the Jeep to allow locker engagement when the Rubicrawler is in low but the stock t-case is not? The total control locker bypass wiring or...?

Thanks!

:whiskey:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 09:22 PM
Rock God

One of the best mods I put in my Jeep. I had Teraflex in SLC install mine because of the release date and a planned trip to Moab. 5:13s and 37s works great. I don't have the 4:1 transfercase but 7.4 to one is lots of reduction IMO.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Rock God

My friend has one in his LJ and loves it, he is on 42" tires with the stock transfer case, automatic trans and I believe 5.13's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Granite Guru

if your finding that with bigger tires the engine doesnt have the nuts or likes to run hot when low is to low & high is to high, id look into it.

Ive got one in a TJ & running them both in low is pretty much pointless.

So if your running a 4/1 case & need wheel speed for sand, mud whatever, Id say go for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Click the sig for everything you need to build a JEEP... 805-706-0232
NEW PRODUCTS ADDED DAILY !!!

----> Click and download the new catalog!!!

post #5 of 6 Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VADERJKU View Post
I'm contemplating a Rubicrawler as well! Couple questions:

1. With my eventual planned 5.13 gears, my crawl ratio would be approx 158.5:1, is this excessive for an auto? (I've had a manual rig with 117:1 crawl ratio and loved it but, no experience with an ultra low slush box) Do those of y'all that have a Rubicrawler find yourselves utilizing the full low range very often? Or the 2.72:1 low very often? (in lieu of stock 4:1)

2. How tough is the install? (I'd like to be able to put it in myself, if possible)

3. To be quite frank, have you found it to be a worthwhile addition?

4. To those with stock Rubi lockers, what have you done toward getting the Jeep to allow locker engagement when the Rubicrawler is in low but the stock t-case is not? The total control locker bypass wiring or...?

Thanks!

:whiskey:
I have one in my JK Rubicon and I think it is my favorite mod so far. It is nice to have the option of 2.72:1 , 4.0:1 and 10.88:1 I have 5.13 gearing in mine also. I use all of the options on a regular basis you can select the ratio you need for the terrain you are in.

07 Unlimited Rubicon, 4 link rear, 3-link front, 37x12.50x17 BFG KM2's, Dana 60 rear, Warn Powerplant, Icon Perfromance coilovers w/ res in front Icon shocks w/res in back, 5.13Gears, Rubicrawler, RCV axles, WTO hydro assist, Anitrocks front and rear, Black Rock Bead Locks, TF speed bumps on all corners.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Wheeler

I just had one installed. I have not had a chance to test it out yet but it is really low. I shifted it in and drove down the back ally , I'm running 37's and 5:13's as well. I will be testing it out at EJS this year. It sounds kinda loud when engaged ,but thinking it is just because of the 6 extra gears working, or at least hoping that is the reason,I always over think / trip out a little to much,It also slips out a little, I'm not sure if the cables just need to work in a bit.I may need to get in there and play with the cables again if it slips any more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode