Need help finding performance parts - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Need help finding performance parts

Alright guys Im getting ready to leave this country for awhile and when I get back I want to put a lot more performance into my jk. what im looking for is in your opinions what is better,
New intake
headers
re gear my axles Putting 35in KO's on
tuner, looking at diablos trinity, but would go for another if there is a better
ignition looking at the screamin demon coil pack and wires

if what i already have in mind isnt the best let me know, and with all of this wanting to be done do i need someone to tune the vehicle for me? or are the tuners they market good enough, cause on my 09 focus that i turboed it was a hassle trying to find a tuning shop

thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Rock God

Sounds like a deployment. Some stuff depends on where you are in the US and what type of wheeling you do. Like, if you wheel mud you'll want a snorkel not a cold air intake. Also what JK do you have and what suspension are you planning on running. Gears by far, best bang for the buck. I had 35's CAI, cat back, Superchips on my Rubi unlimited with an auto and then when I did 5.38 gears it was like a new Jeep. That being said, if you have the coin a super charger or engine swap might be the ticket for significant performance gains.

Mike

Last edited by lamar95x4; 01-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
Rock God

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 06:10 AM
Granite Guru

I agree w/ lamar on the snorkel...basically acts as a cold air intake anyway. I run a Bullydog programmer, and it monitors the intake temp, generally w/ my snorkel the engine is pulling in air about 7 degrees warmer than it is outside, which isn't bad by the time it makes it to the throttle body.

Back to the Bullydog, its a nice tuner...my throttle response is a little better, power is improved, you can reset tire size etc...and it has a display. I've heard people prefer superchips though, but I don't have any experience with one.

Headers and exhaust are over rated IMO, especially for the money you spend. I'm running a viper throttle body, and have been for quite some time..no real improvement that I could notice at least.

I would give up any hopes that you're going to get any on road "performance" out of the 3.8 outside of a supercharger, so spend your money accordingly, most of all stay away from throttle body spacers. Running 35's and really any other big tire is going to kill your performance w/ that engine either way, but it'll still scoot around pretty good with the proper gears and a programmer, mine averages around 14 MPG and is no rocket ship, but it works for me.

07 X..3.5 Rock Krawler mid arm, teraflex steering stabilizer, JKS quick discos, smittibilt rocker guards, poison spyder BFH front and rear, XRC8 winch, 37" pitbull rockers on TWF's, CB, Rock lights, KC Stinger lights, Hella pillar lights, High Lift on hood, Cut flares, 3 amps, polk db front, Kicker type R rears, 1 12" P3, Viper throttle, Yukon 5.13's, Pure jeep truss/gussets, home brew switch panel/corner armor etc etc
post #5 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhill11 View Post
if what i already have in mind isnt the best let me know, and with all of this wanting to be done do i need someone to tune the vehicle for me? or are the tuners they market good enough, cause on my 09 focus that i turboed it was a hassle trying to find a tuning shop
A new intake will help but not much. You MAY see like 5 hp gain.

I personally dont believe in headers for the 3.8. I went with Borla long tube catless headers which aleviate all back pressure and actually lost 10 horse which makes me believe that the motor likes back pressure. I wouldnt spend money on headers again.

I vaguely remember reading several threads where the coil pack was a bust so dont think this is going to net you much gain.

I have the Trinity and the canned tune that comes with it is actually pretty good. That said, it is designed for the stock JK so if you start adding a hole bunch of stuff, you may want to look at getting a custom tune IF you can find a reputable local shop who knows what they are doing (especially on Mopars)

Best bang for the buck is going to be a supercharger. I have the Avenger and consider it the best investment in my JK thus far. If you have the coin after this deployment, 6.4 hemi will def give you the added HP that you are looking for.

As for gears, I dont have the exact numbers but I know that going from 4.10s to 5.13 negated the power loss of going from stock tires to 37" MTRs on a set of Walker beadlocks.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-11-2012, 02:04 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoxxis View Post
Performance?
Get a 2012 with the new engine...
I would like to know what the tire size ad gearing difference were between the two Jeeps. With the Pentastar's leap off the starting line I suspect that the Hemi has too tall gears.

I have a 5.7VVT Hemi in my 2010 and love it, but if the Pentastar and particularly the WA580 five spped auto had been available I think I'd have saved the $'s!

For 2011 and prior year auto transmission JK owners, don't drive a 2012 with 3.73's or better yet the 4.10's unless you're ready to buy one.

Gears will help any Jeep, but nothing can be done to fill in the too large gap between the pre-12's third and fourth gears.

JPK
post #7 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I live in Iowa, thers alot of mud, trails, hills, and snow, who in your opinions sell great re gear kits, and snorkels, I already have a 3.5 in lift, motor swap is out of the question i have 2 kids, who sells superchargers for the jk? i know sts has an exhaust turbo out for the jk
post #8 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Granite Guru

^^AEV or river raider for the snorkel. RIPP for the supercharger...I believe Avenger has a kit out. RIPP will get you up around 100HP in the ballpark of 5K....RIPP also makes an adapter to go along with the AEV snorkel..

07 X..3.5 Rock Krawler mid arm, teraflex steering stabilizer, JKS quick discos, smittibilt rocker guards, poison spyder BFH front and rear, XRC8 winch, 37" pitbull rockers on TWF's, CB, Rock lights, KC Stinger lights, Hella pillar lights, High Lift on hood, Cut flares, 3 amps, polk db front, Kicker type R rears, 1 12" P3, Viper throttle, Yukon 5.13's, Pure jeep truss/gussets, home brew switch panel/corner armor etc etc
post #9 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks, ill look into those
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2012, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

If I were to get a supercharger, besides the kit, is there any thing else i'd need to get
post #11 of 11 Old 01-14-2012, 12:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

intakes due very little especially compared to a drop in performance filter.

Headers-RIPP makes the only proven headers on the JK market

Ingnition-Won't really improve anything so you are better off getting upgraded spark plugs and performance 0ohm cables.

Tuner wise Diablo wins for having the best tuner out there plus it would allow you to upgrade to the supercharger down the road.

don't forget exhaust systems I have ran 2 MBRP's and a Magnaflow and you can't really go wrong with either.

I have some friends that run a shop so when your ready to buy hit me up and I will see if I can get you a package price or some really good deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode