excessive body roll? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 01-10-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
excessive body roll?

i have a 4 door with 2.5 teraflex lift and spacers for about 4" in front and 3.5" in back and 35's. however, i've had this set up for quite some time now but i've started to notice that going into turns the body roll has become worse to the point now where there is a definite difference. before i could turn into my neighborhood doing 20 mph and now if i try it i almost end up in the curb while feeling like i'm about to roll over anytime. also several people who've driven my jeep have commented on this.

anyone have any ideas as to why this is? or possible causes of extra body roll?
also anyone want to comment on the amount of body roll that they're getting going into turns? thanks in advance

Teraflex - Poly Performance - Poison Spyder - Off Road Hero's - Rugged Ridge - Superchips - Goodyear - aFe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

I had my rear track bar bolt back out before and experienced the same sloppy roll feeling on curves and turning into the neighborhood. you probably have already checked that out though. Good luck though.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loanwolf2005 View Post
I had my rear track bar bolt back out before and experienced the same sloppy roll feeling on curves and turning into the neighborhood. you probably have already checked that out though. Good luck though.
yeah can't be that because i just put in a new teraflex track bar and relocation brackets with Poly grade 9 hardware.

anyone else???

Teraflex - Poly Performance - Poison Spyder - Off Road Hero's - Rugged Ridge - Superchips - Goodyear - aFe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Rock God

Shocks are degraded

Springs are degraded

Sway bar is degraded

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Be sure you haven't lost a sway bar bolt or something. Losing one will defeat the entire bar being there.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
Shocks are degraded

Springs are degraded

Sway bar is degraded
which is most likely to go out first? and how can i check each to see if they're degraded or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Be sure you haven't lost a sway bar bolt or something. Losing one will defeat the entire bar being there.
i'll check in a bit but i don't think i've lost any bolts.

someone did mention though that maybe my rubicon disconnect is worn or not fully connecting? not sure how i could check that though or fix it for that matter.

post #7 of 21 Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwang View Post

someone did mention though that maybe my rubicon disconnect is worn or not fully connecting? not sure how i could check that though or fix it for that matter.

Take an endlink bolt out and try to move the swaybar by hand. If it's disconnected you'll be able to move half of it with just a bolt out.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
2nd this

I get a lot of body roll. But then again...I've got Anti-rock sway bars front/rear.. you think you have body roll..you should see me take the corner by the house..lol...I show the world my undercarriage...lol

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #9 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
yeah can't be that because i just put in a new teraflex track bar and relocation brackets with Poly grade 9 hardware.

anyone else???
Did the increased roll start after you did this?
post #10 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Rock God

Garage

Check all your joints as well and keep them greased. Also you should contact the Teraflex guys on this forum... they're always ready to lend advice and walk you through things. I've got a 3.5" TF on our JKU and a 5" on our TJ and Teraflex has been very helpful with my inquiries.

Sent from my C771 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
post #11 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 09:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This same exact situation happened to me with my Rubi disconnect. Even though the indicator light was off it was still disconnected. I had to take it apart to realign the slider dealy in it that connects and reconnects it. I did a write up somwhere Ill look for it.

Here is the link http://jk-adventure.com/JKA/showthre...bar-inspection

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods

Last edited by PhrogMech46; 01-23-2012 at 09:41 AM.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Take an endlink bolt out and try to move the swaybar by hand. If it's disconnected you'll be able to move half of it with just a bolt out.
oh right haha that's pretty obvious. i will have to try that out this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
2nd this

I get a lot of body roll. But then again...I've got Anti-rock sway bars front/rear.. you think you have body roll..you should see me take the corner by the house..lol...I show the world my undercarriage...lol
hahaha nice. but yeah i'm considering going to the teraflex sway bars, need to look into that a little more. but i've basically found that i have to do less than 20 mph for most turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Did the increased roll start after you did this?
no it did not.

post #13 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezfriday View Post
Check all your joints as well and keep them greased. Also you should contact the Teraflex guys on this forum... they're always ready to lend advice and walk you through things. I've got a 3.5" TF on our JKU and a 5" on our TJ and Teraflex has been very helpful with my inquiries.

Sent from my C771 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
i only have the front LCA's but someone did tell me that the JJ felt a little loose, although i don't see how that would affect body roll so dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
This same exact situation happened to me with my Rubi disconnect. Even though the indicator light was off it was still disconnected. I had to take it apart to realign the slider dealy in it that connects and reconnects it. I did a write up somwhere Ill look for it.

Here is the link http://jk-adventure.com/JKA/showthre...bar-inspection
couldn't see any of the pics on there without logging in. but like i said, this weekend i will have to check and see if there's anything wrong with it and go from there.

post #14 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Just do like I do and drive like a grandma in turns. It ain't a race car ya know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #15 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Mini Hi Jack...

I don't have excessive body roll but I do have a little and it sometimes when I'm driving straight down a road the jeep will wander a little one way, I'll correct it and it will sway a little the other way, sometimes a couple times before it evens up.

New Rock Krawler 3.5 X suspension but old Rancho 9000XL shocks...could this be from my shocks?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #16 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Just do like I do and drive like a grandma in turns. It ain't a race car ya know...
yeah but then you have to brake harder before the turn and then if you don't want to brake so hard you have to just go slower and if you go slower then people are backed up behind you and that can get old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Mini Hi Jack...

I don't have excessive body roll but I do have a little and it sometimes when I'm driving straight down a road the jeep will wander a little one way, I'll correct it and it will sway a little the other way, sometimes a couple times before it evens up.

New Rock Krawler 3.5 X suspension but old Rancho 9000XL shocks...could this be from my shocks?
on that same note, sometimes going over a speed bump or something i can hear a pssst sound of gas escaping from my shocks, is this normal or an indication of worn out shocks??

post #17 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Rock God

I don't even have a front sway bar in mine. It doesn't have too much body roll but it is noticeable. You just gotta get used to it.

post #18 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Rock God

Psst is normal

post #19 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
yeah but then you have to brake harder before the turn and then if you don't want to brake so hard you have to just go slower and if you go slower then people are backed up behind you and that can get old...
F'em. They can look at my 41" tire on the carrier. If they wanted to get there earlier, then they should've left earlier. I drove 60mph from Jersey to Alabama. You think I didn't have a line of cars, trucks, and tractor trailers behind me at times? You think I gave a shit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #20 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Psst is normal
really? because i don't think it comes from every shock. do you have teraflex vss9550?

post #21 of 21 Old 01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I don't even have a front sway bar in mine. It doesn't have too much body roll but it is noticeable. You just gotta get used to it.
Im pretty sure there are some states that have laws against removing your sway bar. I would think the sway bar would help the most to prevent a roll over when swerving at speed on the freeway.Insurance companies might not pay out if you crash and they realize there is no sway bar.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode