How many miles have you gotten out of your Duratracs? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question How many miles have you gotten out of your Duratracs?

When I bought my JK in July I immediately added 265/75/16 (31.6") Duratracs (C load not E) to replace the stock 29" tires.

My Jeep had 110 miles on it when I got the Duratracs. I have not been very impressed with how long they have been lasting. My JK currently has 6,600 miles on it.

I measured the tread depth today (at the center of the tread) to see how it compares to the spare, which has never been used.

The Rear tires: 13/32"

The front: 15/32"

The spare: 18/32"

Tires are inflated to 33psi.

I'm a bit concerned about the rear tires having lost nearly a third of their tread in only 6,500 miles.

I don't feel that I drive overly aggressively. (Although I've been told differently. lol)

This not only my first Jeep but also my first truck, so I am thinking that this may just be the kind of tire life one can expect from knobby tires? Am I correct in assuming that?

So, what kind of mileage have you guys seen out of your Duratracs? Also at what point should they be replaced? I'd imagine once the tread gets so low, they would become practically useless on the trail...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned

I have the E rated tires and they're wearing fairly well. Got almost 23K on them and so far, they're holding up fine. Might be that the C rated tires are a little softer?

post #3 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I have the E rated tires and they're wearing fairly well. Got almost 23K on them and so far, they're holding up fine. Might be that the C rated tires are a little softer?
I suppose it's possible...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Granite Guru

I'd recommend doing a 5 tire rotation. People tend to get more mileage out of 5 tire than 4 tire rotation

I finally ditched that "other" forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and coming to wheel on the dark side
post #5 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Wheeler

The wear rate is fastest when they are new and slows down as the tread wears.
Also, with the front to rear difference, what rotation schedule are you on?
post #6 of 12 Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I haven't measured mine but they have about 25k on them and are holding up great. I keep them at 34psi and do a 5 tire rotation every 6k miles or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #7 of 12 Old 01-11-2012, 06:24 AM
Granite Guru

I have over 20,000 miles on my 285/75/16's and they are wearing great. Still have tons of tread and no uneven tread wear.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

Mine have over 35k miles on them and there is 2mm in tread depth difference between the tires on the Jeep and the tires on my trailer. The trailer has the same tires and is rarely used so I consider them to be like new.

I do a five tire rotation but I'm considering going ahead and sticking the trailer tires on with the next rotation. If you don't rotate all terrain tires every 6k miles or so then you will see abnormal wear.

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #9 of 12 Old 01-11-2012, 07:02 AM
JKO Addict!

We all know that the back brakes wear very quickly. Could that amount of wear on the rear components be applied to the tires also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
We all know that the back brakes wear very quickly. Could that amount of wear on the rear components be applied to the tires also?
Rear tires wear faster (on rwd vehicles) because that is where the vehicles power is being put down to the surface. The right rear specifically.

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #11 of 12 Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Wheeler

I have 285/75R16 Duratracs, with 20K miles on them. They are the E rated ones, and I do a 5 tire rotation every 6k miles and I think they still look great. I run 33-34 psi in them and they are still holding up with lots of tread left.

I'm Awesome Bill from Dawsonville!!!
post #12 of 12 Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I talked to Discount Tire about the Duratracs. They told me that they do have a softer tread and they wouldn't last as long in the hot Arizona sun. I think that is why they do so well offroad and in ice and snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode