Another Coilover Thread - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Another Coilover Thread

OK...so I've been digging through threads on coilovers for a couple hours now... I'm trying to figure out what to do for shocks. I've been looking at doing bypass shocks but was concerned with the possibility of damaging them so I'm trying to figure out what a good solution would be. Here's a thread I posted with some of my concerns on that. I felt it was relevant for me to post this new thread geared more towards my questions on coilovers...

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66898

FRONT: Ok so on the front I was looking at the Poly Performance front coilover mounts. They're weld on and look pretty stout. I think the front Is going to be easier to set up as there isn't as much to deal with as far as clearance issues. Not really sure what length of coilovers I should be running though to be around a 3-4" overall lift.

REAR: The rear is where I really had a lot of questions... I see many different variations and I've tried to read up a lot on them. Some of the ones that seem easier to do are like the Poly and Rebel ones that weld/bolt in the rear and angle the coilovers backwards, however that doesn't seem like it would give the optimal performance for the coilovers plus it leaves them exposed in the rear. I've had a couple people say this isn't a big issue but I'm still a little concerned about it. This makes me think that an outboard option might be the way to go. I DO currently have a Currie RJ60 in the rear but I believe its pretty close to factory width...and from what I understand it means I will have to notch the frame rail to fit coilovers outboard?? How difficult is it do to this? Is it really worth it? I don't really want to cut holes in the body as I do still haul shit and dont want to lose space in the rear of my 2dr, plus I still use the rear seat on occasion. Also, I occasionally do some water crossings And I really don't water to be pouring into the Jeep lol. I'm also not sure what length of shocks to run in the rear. I'm assuming 14" is probably what I'm going to want to shoot for?? Do I also have to run aftermarket wheels for the backspacing?? I'm just on Rubi wheels right now with wheel spacers so I assume i would need to get different wheels too. Also, is there anyone that makes mounts for the rear to do them outboard??

What else would I need to to to run coilovers? Any recommendations on shock brands? Ive been looking at King bypass shocks to run in the near future, but as I mentioned, I'm concerned with damaging the rear ones and I would hate to ruin a $700 shock. So if I am capable of doing coilovers for close to the same cost and doing it fairly easily I might just wait a little longer go that route instead of doing regular or bypass shocks to get me by until I can do coilovers. At some point I may be looking at doing a comp cut/stretch so it would be nice to do the coilovers in such a way that will allow me to do this a couple years from now. Also, what brand of shocks do you guys recommend? I've been looking at Kings as they should be easily rebuildable and parts are very available, but I've been told that King may not have the greatest customer service if say I damage a shock body? I'm not afraid to spend some money on setting up my suspension, but I need to get an idea of what direction to go that way I can make a plan. If its gonna cost me a boatload to do it I might just go with some remote resi's for now so I can wheel while I save up some money to try to do it the way I want it.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Topgun863; 01-08-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Granite Guru

Also look up user name liquor. He has the rear outboard and with spacers and back spacing he didn't have to cut the tub.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.261225,-97.000460

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Wheeler

If you are concerned with damaging the shocks, you could look at EVO's system....Double Throwdown front and back. The rear coilovers are horizontal and the system works on a cantilever system. No part of the shock protrudes below the axle. Here is my setup.

This is the rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbejonas View Post
Also look up user name liquor. He has the rear outboard and with spacers and back spacing he didn't have to cut the tub.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.261225,-97.000460
Looks like he's running 3.5" backspacing wheels with wheel spacers to clear the coilovers. It would be better IMO to run a wider rear axle or notch the frame rails. Since I already have a RJ60 in the rear and I don't really want to buy another one thats wider, I think maybe notching the frame rails would be a better way to go?? This is kind of what I'd like to find out. Cause if I have to buy wheels as well to do coilovers too its going to be a while before I have the $$$ to do it.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #5 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
If you are concerned with damaging the shocks, you could look at EVO's system....Double Throwdown front and back. The rear coilovers are horizontal and the system works on a cantilever system. No part of the shock protrudes below the axle. Here is my setup.

This is the rear.

Does the Evo setup work well?? It looks pretty complicated and pretty pricy which is kind of why I was looking at doing it a different way.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #6 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Wheeler

Yes the EVO system is a little pricey, but it performs very well. Over half the vehicles that ran the JK Experience this year had this system on.
post #7 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Yes the EVO system is a little pricey, but it performs very well. Over half the vehicles that ran the JK Experience this year had this system on.
I'm pretty sure thats cuz Mel sponsers and sets up the JK Experience... so thats bias.

www.californiasurveillanceinvestigators.com
post #8 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
I'm pretty sure thats cuz Mel sponsers and sets up the JK Experience... so thats bias.
Mel may be the sponser, but he didn't prevent anyone going on the run if they didn't have his products. People choose his system because it's one of the best out there.
post #9 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
What a bunch of bullshit! Just 'cause he sponsors the JKX and sets it up has nothing to do with how well the system works. I ran this years JKX running the AEV 4.5in lift and it did fantastic! No one gave me any shit about it. IMO the cantilever system in the rear tucks everything up and out of harms way. Why would you want a coil over that puts the bottom of the shock in harms way?

It's expensive yes because King shocks are top shelf parts. Mel builds some really sick shit and I have a lot of it on my JK 'cause it WORKS.
post #10 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 06:52 PM
JKO Addict!

You forgot one thing tho it's not quiet it is probably one of the noisiest lifts out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #11 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 07:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
You forgot one thing tho it's not quiet it is probably one of the noisiest lifts out there

Is it the front or the rear or both that is noisy? I'm guessing the rear? I have not been on a trail with the EVO set up.
post #12 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

Hey TopGun, meet me at Hangar 24 and I'll tell ya all about cycling suspension to get every quarter inch of travel out of your shocks. I ran kings on my last race truck, and once I dumped the piss out of em that king calls oil, they worked amazingly well. Easy to work on too.

A lot of noise comes from the bypasses. It sounds like I was banging my wedding ring against the cage x 10 the whole time I was driving it. But in all honesty, I liked it.

Canti setups are complicated and sweet looking, and can work well if the shocks are dialed in.

I'd coil over and air bump the front of yer rig till you figure out what you want to do in the back.
post #13 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmikedentx View Post
Hey TopGun, meet me at Hangar 24 and I'll tell ya all about cycling suspension to get every quarter inch of travel out of your shocks. I ran kings on my last race truck, and once I dumped the piss out of em that king calls oil, they worked amazingly well. Easy to work on too.

A lot of noise comes from the bypasses. It sounds like I was banging my wedding ring against the cage x 10 the whole time I was driving it. But in all honesty, I liked it.

Canti setups are complicated and sweet looking, and can work well if the shocks are dialed in.

I'd coil over and air bump the front of yer rig till you figure out what you want to do in the back.
Cool sounds like a plan.

So are coilovers the way to go then rather than bypass shocks? I know a lot of race applications run both but that seems like overkill on a Jeep and not to mention pricy. I want my Jeep to perform though both in the rocks and hauling ass off road so whatever I gotta do to get to that. Should I just get some cheaper remote resi's so I can run my lift for now then and do the coilovers all at once?? I already have the coil springs for my Poly lift as i wasn't really planning on coilovers soon, but as I haven't really decided on shocks yet...

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #14 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #15 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
I saw your thread on that. What did it take to get those coilovers mounted up? What length of coilovers are you running??

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #16 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
JKO Addict!

I forsee tires hitting on those when flexed, here is my setup with frenched frame. For the front tribe4x4 is by far the strongest setup out there

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #17 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I forsee tires hitting on those when flexed, here is my setup with frenched frame. For the front tribe4x4 is by far the strongest setup out there

Do you have any more pics/info on how you did the rear? Did you build your own mounts? How hard was it to french it in? Looks good from what I can see. Yeah I was looking at the tribe4x4 and Poly front mounts.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #18 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Has Tribe started making them again? Last time i contacted them they were full-on the KOH builds and couldn't spare any time. They're a really nice mount but you might have to wait awhile for them at this point.

Sent via Telegraph.
post #19 of 83 Old 01-08-2012, 11:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I forsee tires hitting on those when flexed,
Not too bad, my axle is 69.5" wide. Still, I'm going to redoe it once I get the garage cleaned out and have the space.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #20 of 83 Old 01-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenFoo View Post
Has Tribe started making them again? Last time i contacted them they were full-on the KOH builds and couldn't spare any time. They're a really nice mount but you might have to wait awhile for them at this point.

Sent via Telegraph.
I believe Adam over at tribe4x4 is still working on there new KOH's rig, at least that was what he said last Wednesday at our monthly texasJK meet up.
I have seen his mounts though and they are NICE! if you can wait a few months I know they are gonna get back into the JK stuff as soon as they get some of these big projects out of the way.
post #21 of 83 Old 01-09-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
I believe Adam over at tribe4x4 is still working on there new KOH's rig, at least that was what he said last Wednesday at our monthly texasJK meet up.
I have seen his mounts though and they are NICE! if you can wait a few months I know they are gonna get back into the JK stuff as soon as they get some of these big projects out of the way.
I've heard they make pretty good stuff. Im not in a huge hurry to do coilovers as I don't want to rush though it... I want to take my time and set it up right the first time. As it is right now, I have a Synergy 3" lift sitting in the garage (minus shocks) waiting to get installed. I've got a decent amount saved up that I was going to put toward some good bypass shocks but I started to rethink it. Now I guess I'm trying to figure out which direction I should ultimately go with shocks to get my Jeep the way I want it so I can figure out how much thats going to cost. Then I can decide whether I can afford to wait and do the coilovers really soon if its not going to cost me that much more than what I have saved now, or if I should just get some decent shocks and install the lift so I can wheel it while I save up to do the coilover setup I want to run. I'm also going to be adding Polys Long Arm upgrade kit soon and making the jump to 37" tires. But I can't do any lift (or tires for that matter) without shocks. Thats why I want to get as much info about coilovers as I can so I can decide what to do.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #22 of 83 Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

Just get some regular shocks and wheel it for now. You don't need the fancy reservoir shocks for normal wheeling.
post #23 of 83 Old 01-09-2012, 03:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!

If you ever plan on stretching your 2-door in the future, DON'T do coilovers yet!!! You will have to cut everything out, patch it up, and re-do the whole thing. Costing you thousands of $$$ and days of extra work.

For the money spent on the rear Evo cantilever set-up, you could stretch your 2-door and get better trail and street performance. Plus, the EVO system will not work with a stretched 2-door.

Just something to think about.
post #24 of 83 Old 01-09-2012, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!

If you ever plan on stretching your 2-door in the future, DON'T do coilovers yet!!! You will have to cut everything out, patch it up, and re-do the whole thing. Costing you thousands of $$$ and days of extra work.

For the money spent on the rear Evo cantilever set-up, you could stretch your 2-door and get better trail and street performance. Plus, the EVO system will not work with a stretched 2-door.

Just something to think about.
Oh shit ok. So there's really no way to run coilovers now and do a stretch later? I was thinking about doing the coilovers outboard but I guess if I move the axle back it will change the angle of the coilovers...where do you have your rear coilovers mounted on your Jeep? Should I just do front coilovers for now and do remote resi's in the stock location then??

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #25 of 83 Old 01-09-2012, 05:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun863 View Post
Oh shit ok. So there's really no way to run coilovers now and do a stretch later? I was thinking about doing the coilovers outboard but I guess if I move the axle back it will change the angle of the coilovers...where do you have your rear coilovers mounted on your Jeep? Should I just do front coilovers for now and do remote resi's in the stock location then??
Yes, if you want to stretch in the future, just do the front now and run regular shocks in the rear.

Link to my stretch (havent finished the inside yet). Not the only way to do it, just something different; https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62561
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode