RK rear trackbar bracket hitting shock - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-07-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
RK rear trackbar bracket hitting shock

I have the 3.5" x-factor kit and the rear trackbar bracket is making contact with my Bilstein 5100 shock at full stuff.

I thought it looked a little close at install, and when I test flexed it confirmed it.

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you correct it?

It hasn't made a dent or gouge yet, just scuffed the side.

I centered the axles under the jeep so we can rule out the possibility of that being the cause.

POISON SPYDER • ROCK KRAWLER • POLY • RCV • YUKON • AEV • TATTON • MBRP • TERAFLEX • BILSTEIN • JKS • RAMSEY • ROCK HARD • WURX • NEMESIS • SPOD • RIGID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Granite Guru

I may not have enough knowledge on this, but the shock mount and the tb bracket are 2 fixed points on the axle tube and a fixed point up in the frame for the shock. My thinking is that possibly the tb bracket bolts or shock bolts could be loose giving some play in the shock as a whole or the bracket is shifting.

I finally ditched that "other" forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and coming to wheel on the dark side

Last edited by captjay; 01-07-2012 at 10:38 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

What lower control / shock bracket is that? Is it the stock one?

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-08-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjay View Post
I may not have enough knowledge on this, but the shock mount and the tb bracket are 2 fixed points on the axle tube and a fixed point up in the frame for the shock. My thinking is that possibly the tb bracket bolts or shock bolts could be loose giving some play in the shock as a whole or the bracket is shifting.
Everything is bolted solid. I was planning on welding the tb bracket in a few days, now im not sure i will keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
What lower control / shock bracket is that? Is it the stock one?
Factory.

POISON SPYDER • ROCK KRAWLER • POLY • RCV • YUKON • AEV • TATTON • MBRP • TERAFLEX • BILSTEIN • JKS • RAMSEY • ROCK HARD • WURX • NEMESIS • SPOD • RIGID
post #5 of 12 Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 AM
DaK
Rock God

Mine is/was doing the same thing. Only happens to me when I am at extreme angles with the driver at the top of the angle. Might want to check your pinion angle and make sure the rear axle isn't rotated too far back. Don't think mine has hit since rotating the axle forward. One of the things I have to check today, got back late last night from wheeling through some tight off camber stuff.

Post us up a pick of your pinion angle where the rear DS meets the differential.

Question for ya, cause I have the same set up. Look at your passenger rear behind the tire, should be a bracket that mounts to the frame, see if the bolt on that side is hitting the bracket bolted to the frame.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
Mine is/was doing the same thing. Only happens to me when I am at extreme angles with the driver at the top of the angle. Might want to check your pinion angle and make sure the rear axle isn't rotated too far back. Don't think mine has hit since rotating the axle forward. One of the things I have to check today, got back late last night from wheeling through some tight off camber stuff.

Post us up a pick of your pinion angle where the rear DS meets the differential.

Question for ya, cause I have the same set up. Look at your passenger rear behind the tire, should be a bracket that mounts to the frame, see if the bolt on that side is hitting the bracket bolted to the frame.

I have my pinion rotated so it's parallel with the shaft. I'm running a double cardon Tatton, it must be in that position to eliminate vibration.

And for your question, I just walked outside and took a look. It looks like the upper trackbar bolt makes contact with the teraflex bumpstop. I havent noticed that until you pointed it out.

Today I'm going to head out and do some more test flexing. I'll take photos of the points of contract.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 AM
DaK
Rock God

With your pics, contact RK, email them the pics. They are extremely helpful in getting the suspension dialed in. My rep was Jeremy, top notch support.

As for the bolt contact, trim it off. What I am going to do and what RK suggested. Don't know why I didn't have it done when it was at the shop and on the rack. Mine barely hits now that the axle has been rotated forward so hoping the triming eliminates any future contact.

Last edited by DaK; 01-08-2012 at 08:50 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 AM
DaK
Rock God

What were your results?

I cut the bolt end off yesterday and repainted behind the bump stop where the bolt hit. Will check next time out if there was contact.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-09-2012, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
What were your results?

I cut the bolt end off yesterday and repainted behind the bump stop where the bolt hit. Will check next time out if there was contact.
Didn't get into that yesterday. While under there I discovered a leak coming from the tailshaft on my transfercase! It's always something, but that's the fun of building a jeep...... right?

post #10 of 12 Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 AM
DaK
Rock God

So they tell me....
post #11 of 12 Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM

A revive. I am having the same issue with the shock. how did you get your fixed?
post #12 of 12 Old 11-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Granite Guru

I have the king 2.5" shocks with the RK rear track bar bracket and had to cut the corner of the bracket all the way down to the stock bracket and weld it to get the room for the larger shocks! With the bilstien's you probably don't have to go as far as I did and can get away with a little grinding to the bracket to get some more shock clearance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode