Can I swap winch lines without removing my AEV bumper? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Can I swap winch lines without removing my AEV bumper?

I have a 2010 JKU Rubicon with the AEV Premium Front Bumper, Winch Plate, Front Skid Plate, WARN 9.5 Winch, and a Master-Pull Synthetic line. I may be selling the Jeep with the AEV bumper and Warn winch but I want to see if I could keep the Master-Pull for my next winch rather than let it go with the sale, since I paid $600 bucks for it. Is it possible to remove the Master-Pull synthetic winch line and replace it with the Warn steel line without removing the bumper? Any tricks or tips? Thanks!

2012 JKUR Bright White - Ordered 2-1-2012, Built 3-7-2012, Arrived 3-9-2012, Picked Up 3-10-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

I would say no, unless you can wrangle your hand inside the fairlead cutout to work with the small allen screw that holds the end of the winchline to the side of the drum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #3 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Are you replacing the syn with a steel cable for the new owner? If not, then just pull your synthetic out all the way and cut it as close to the winch as you can. The new owner will have to install the new cable anyway right? So let them worry about it.

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
Are you replacing the syn with a steel cable for the new owner? If not, then just pull your synthetic out all the way and cut it as close to the winch as you can. The new owner will have to install the new cable anyway right? So let them worry about it.
Yes. I wanted to let the vehicle go with the steel line and not the synthetic. I'm not gonna get a dollar more or less for it, so might as well keep it for myself for the next jeep.

2012 JKUR Bright White - Ordered 2-1-2012, Built 3-7-2012, Arrived 3-9-2012, Picked Up 3-10-12
post #5 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

Well if you are actually replacing the line then I wouldn't cut it. Can you not remove the winch without removing the bumper?

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #6 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUJeep View Post
Well if you are actually replacing the line then I wouldn't cut it. Can you not remove the winch without removing the bumper?
I'm actually replacing, so cutting it is not an option. That's what I'm trying to find out, lol.

post #7 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 02:03 PM
JKO Addict!

If you are selling to a dealer I'd just cut it and leave it empty.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #8 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Looking at these picture of your bumper and haveing the same winch, I would say you need to remove the bumper.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12049_1201_07.htm
post #9 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 08:28 PM
TJT
Rock God

I took my rope off this week.

If you can't work the bolt from the spool, you can remove the main portion of the bumper. Remove the very front bolts of the AEV skid plate. Undo the two bolts on each side that secure the bumper and fog light structures. Then undo the eight bolts on the front around the plastic bumpers on the front. The main piece will come right off. You should end up with something like the picture below.

I suggest you at least keep the skid plate. They aren't going to know the difference. Even if you don't go with the AEV bumper again, you shouldn't have any trouble selling it.

(NOTE: I have the first generation bumper. It may be slightly different if you have the current generation.)

Last edited by TJT; 01-05-2012 at 08:33 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

Without pics hard to say. If you remove the fairlead from the bumper and un spool the line you might be able to reach in there with a wrench to get the line off and a new one on. Thinking a wrench that has the adjustable angle. I would try it if it were me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode