JKOwners Forum banner

Need advice on lift, air shocks with constant trailer use

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  redneckhouston 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a 2008 4-door JK Unlimited. I've got the 3.73 gear ratio....(possibly 4.1 but don't think so). Automatic. I pull a 5 X 8 trailer full of DJ equipment 6-7 nights a week. It puts quite a bit of weight on my Jeep as I can see it sink down everytime I hook it up. Now I'm looking to put a lift kit and bigger tires on it and would like some advice.

I'm thinking of the Teraflex 2.5", 35" Firestone Destination MT tires, still haven't decided on wheels yet, and wondering if I should add air shocks for the weight of the trailer.

Any advice concerning the fact that I'm pulling a trailer most of the time would be helpful.....thanks!:D

#2 · (Edited)
you might consider getting some airbags specifically used for towing regardless of what you do. If your JK is sagging that much, it will cause wear and tear on whatever suspension you run if you don't help it out a little.

The firestone is a good choice for towing, we have them on the cummins that tows a lot and I'm pleased. My only complain was they were kind of squishy the first thousand miles or so.

#3 ·
i would try to rearrange some of the stuff in the trailer, to lighten the tounge weight, put some heavy stuff in the back.....good trailer practice is 10% of the total weight ,should be the tounge weight....

350lbs is 10% of your jeeps total towing capacity

just an idea, sometimes its not feasable........if not go with add on airbags

but....more than anything i would regear your axles with 5.13 gears...and get a aftermarket trans cooler.....that thing is going to be a pig with 3.73's and the trans is going to hate you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.