can I replace the steel valve stems on JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

can I replace the steel valve stems on JK

Looking at the stupid location of the steel valve stems on my Jk, it won't be long until a rock rips them off. A buddy told me I can't change them out for rubber because the steel stems have the sensor for the "thing a ma jingy".

He could be right, I am new to JK's. But I would sure like to replace that steel stem with a rubber stem. Anyone have solid info on this. I tried a search but wasn't smart enough to use the correct phrase so I got nothing.

Thanks!

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy BJ70 LandCruiser. Winched, bumpered, 35ed, locked, slidered, dieseled.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The steel ones have the tire sensor for air built in it.
post #3 of 10 Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What happens if I replace them with rubber stems?

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
08 Wrangler X 4dr. 6sp: Winched, bumpered, Atlased, 5:13 Rubi axles, 37" Kevlar MTRs, Treks skids.
87 Toy 4r. Winched, bumpered, dual cased, 35ed, locked, slidered. -Sold, to pay for Jeep parts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 12:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Your TPMS light will stay on and beep at you 4 times every time you start it. Eventually, you'll get used to it and not even notice it. I know because that's exactly what I did.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

You can also get an AEV Procal to set TPMS to 0 to stop the beep at startup.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Bullitt View Post
You can also get an AEV Procal to set TPMS to 0 to stop the beep at startup.
Don't you need the TPMS sensors installed for that to work? If not, I'm definitely getting one. I'll need one sooner or later when I re-gear, but if it will turn off the light with regular valve stems installed, my purchase will be sooner than later.
post #7 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the replies.
Since I need to re-gear also, I guess I need to learn about the Procal.

When you replaced the stems, did you use standard size or are they bigger than average? Diameter that is.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
post #8 of 10 Old 02-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
Don't you need the TPMS sensors installed for that to work? If not, I'm definitely getting one. I'll need one sooner or later when I re-gear, but if it will turn off the light with regular valve stems installed, my purchase will be sooner than later.
Nope. I put Rubi wheels & tires with regular rubber valve stems on my gf's JK and used it to turn off the sensor until I have time to switch over the valves from her stock steelies.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb96150 View Post
Looking at the stupid location of the steel valve stems on my Jk, it won't be long until a rock rips them off. A buddy told me I can't change them out for rubber because the steel stems have the sensor for the "thing a ma jingy".

He could be right, I am new to JK's. But I would sure like to replace that steel stem with a rubber stem. Anyone have solid info on this. I tried a search but wasn't smart enough to use the correct phrase so I got nothing.

Thanks!
You can do it. I used the stock metal valve stems on my AEV Pintlers. I sheared one off at the base of the valve cap threads and bent two others. As you can imagine I wanted to go to rubber valve stems.

Discount Tire sells a band kit and TPMS holder that lets you take the TPMS unit off of the valve stem (it comes off real easily) and band it to the center of the rim. The bands look like giant hose clamps. I've been running mine like that for a few months now. The cost of the kit was around 50.00 or 60.00 plus mounting and balancing. I should have taken a few pics bit I forgot my camera.

Chuck

08 JKU Rubi, GM 6.2 LS, 6L80 6 sp automatic, Atlas 4 sp TC, Dynatrac ProRock 80 rear and in front PR60 w RCV shafts, DynaLock w Stub hubs, 4.88 gears and ARB Lockers, 4.0" lift, Synergy Long Arm, King coilovers, 40" Nitto's, Hutchison Rock Monster wheels, GenRight alum bumper and fenders, GenRight 20 gal aux gas tank, PSC steering, Warn Zeon 12K.

2nd Jeep is a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland with a 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Lift Suspension and Quadra-Drive II. My wife says I can't do anything to it!
post #10 of 10 Old 02-28-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I ordered an AEV Procal direct from AEV so I will disable the TPMS.

JonB KE6GFB
Lake Tahoe Hi-Lo's
S. Lake Tahoe, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode