Driveshaft Poll! Which ones? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Which drive shaft brand?
Tom Woods 45 40.54%
J E Reel 17 15.32%
Coast 17 15.32%
Tatttons 32 28.83%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Question Driveshaft Poll! Which ones?

Ok I posted last week and ask what gears everyone was running in or on a dana 44 with 37s and got awesome results! (THANKS GUYS AND GALS).
Now I am wanting to see what everyone is running in the driveshaft area! And what kind of results you are having! Since I have got the axles tore out from underneath I need a new front driveshaft anyway might as well do the driveshafts as well! So I am looking at 1310 front and rear shafts! (and don't want to get the shaft!!!)
I am looking at the best bang for the buck.
Tom Woods
Tattons
J E Reel
Coast
I will be runnig 5.38 gears with an auto!

I need to add are you running the 1310 or the 1350s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Rock God

I have a rear Woods and front Coast on my 2 dr.

My wife's 4 dr has a front Tattons and rear Rubicon Express.

I would not buy a new Rubicon Express again. I had to rebuild the cardon joint in the front shaft on the RE, and the splines ended up with play in them. A JK with 5.38 gears spins a driveshaft really, really fast. If you have 5.38s, drive your 6 speed in 5th gear or put your automatic in 3rd gear at highway speeds (with a transmission ratio of 1:1), and you will see your driveshaft rpms because your engine rpms will equal your driveshaft rpms.

Driveshafts for JKs with low gears need to be balanced at very high rpms.

I would buy a Woods, Coast, or Tattons again.

The Woods uses a flange instead of a yoke at the axle side:

I don't know if the flange is stronger than using a yoke. The downside of the flange is that depending on your suspension setup, the flange on the rear pinion can occasionally hit your gas tank skid.

Most of the trail failures I have seen are yokes, but they seem to be more common. So, I don't know if there is a strength correlation. I know forged yokes cost more.

The Coast, Tattons, and JE Reel use yokes on the axle sides of their 1310s:

But, you can see above that JE Reel uses flanges on its 1350 HDs.

The Woods and JE Reel use serviceable, proprietary u-joints.

I understand that the Coast and Tattons use sealed Spicer u-joints.

The advantage of serviceable is that you don't need to replace them as often if you keep them greased.

My understanding is that the Spicers might be stronger than the proprietary serviceable u-joints, but that if you wheel hard or do a lot of highway miles, you will want to replace the sealed Spicer u-joints once a year.

Tom Wood does a lot to support the 4x4 community. I can't recall a club event in Montana, South Dakota, or Utah where he had not donated $ and/or certificates and swag. I've wheeled with Tom in Moab and had a couple dinners with him. I have visited with him on the trail and on the phone multiple times. You couldn't find a nicer guy than Tom.

As a result, Tom most often gets my business. Of the 5 driveshafts I've bought for our jeeps in the last few years, 3 of them were from Tom.

My next purchase will be 1350s to run with Currie RJ 60s set up with axle side yokes. They will most likely be from Tom.

Contact Tom through his thread in the Vendor section, email him, or call him, and he will send you a discount certificate.

I don't know how much this answers your question, but it summarizes my experience and understanding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Granite Guru

I've got RE's on both ends, no issues at all(also running 5.38's in the diffs). They were on the JK when I bought it. If I had to buy them, I'd go Tom Woods. Had his on my XJ, great product, fairly local to me, and great service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 04:34 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Just a thought.... A little secret is that Coast OEMs drive shafts for more companies than you might think and those companies might not spec the shaft the same as Coast would build for you.
post #5 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

i have a local guy that will be building my shafts for me...i looked into all these companies and thought the prices were high...so i looked to the company that builds the shafts for the trucks at my shop and he said hell build whatever i need and do it cheaper than the others...just a thought if you have any local drivetrain shops around your area

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #6 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

One more vote for Tom Woods. Top quality. Great service.
post #7 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I thought people were having problems with the Tom Woods' shafts U-joints not holding up, and/or not being able to upgrade to a stronger Spicer version?
post #8 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
I thought people were having problems with the Tom Woods' shafts U-joints not holding up, and/or not being able to upgrade to a stronger Spicer version?
I the 8 years I've been on jeep forums, I've seen only one thread regarding that, and it was on JKF. Some guy had an issue or concern on a weekend or holiday or something. Instead of waiting to call Tom on the next business day, he started a thread bashing the product. It was embarrassing to the guy, but he didn't get it.

Tom doesn't advertise there. So, he doesn't necessarily get a fair shake. Even though in that one thread, at least one moderator came to his defense.

A better place to look for objective info about his u-joints would be on jeepforum or on pirate4x4.

It is uncommon to see a Spicer brand u-joint fail, but it is also uncommon to see a Woods u-joint fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Granite Guru

I had the OEM JE Reel front replacement until I switched to 5.38 gears....Then the vibes started.

The JE was made from Japanese or Chinese parts and didn't like the added RPM's. Vibrated quite a lot; enough to destroy my TC seals...

Recently installed a Coast 1310 with yolks and it's night and day. All Naepco and Spicer, and NO vibes (and cheaper than the JE). Love it

2008 RUBY UNLIMITED

T&T CUSTOMS
post #10 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Granite Guru

I had a Woods in my 88yj SOA and it was a very nice piece, no problems. I now have a tattons in the front of my JK and I had a slight vibration issue but it was resolved with rotating the shaft 180 deg to the yokes. Both of my experiences with both companies were great. I would say either would be a good shaft.
post #11 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
I the 8 years I've been on jeep forums, I've seen only one thread regarding that, and it was on JKF. Some guy had an issue or concern on a weekend or holiday or something. Instead of waiting to call Tom on the next business day, he started a thread bashing the product. It was embarrassing to the guy, but he didn't get it.

Tom doesn't advertise there. So, he doesn't necessarily get a fair shake. Even though in that one thread, at least one moderator came to his defense.

A better place to look for objective info about his u-joints would be on jeepforum or on pirate4x4.

It is uncommon to see a Spicer brand u-joint fail, but it is also uncommon to see a Woods u-joint fail.

Fair enough. Good to clear that one up.
post #12 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Wheeler

I have had 2 sets of Tom woods shafts and I could not be happier. Tom and his employees are great to deal with.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who dont
07 ulimited
4"tereflex LCG
atlas
37 toyos
PSC armor
rock jock 60
wild boar
warn
fox coilovers
Psc assist
post #13 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

I have a Pro Comp rear and no NOT recommend it. Who the hell runs single U-joints on both sides No issues yet, but I'm rather afraid to see the strain at full droop.
post #14 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

I went to my local drive line shop and had mine built from the ground up. I think thats the way to go so you can put your joints of choice and local is always easier if they break or vibrate.
post #15 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukeman View Post
I had the OEM JE Reel front replacement until I switched to 5.38 gears....Then the vibes started.

The JE was made from Japanese or Chinese parts and didn't like the added RPM's. Vibrated quite a lot; enough to destroy my TC seals...

Recently installed a Coast 1310 with yolks and it's night and day. All Naepco and Spicer, and NO vibes (and cheaper than the JE). Love it
I don't like to hear that. I just put on the JE Reel 1310 OEM replacement and run 5.38 gears.

Did you play with your pinion angle at all to try and fix the vibes? I've got just a minor vibe.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #16 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
The Goldseals have a lifetime warranty, which I believe includes the shaft if the joint causes damage to it. If you prefer spicer or neapco, Tom is a distributor for both, so you can have them installed instead. Up to you.

For the problems: A lot of negative info seems to be originating for one person, with others jumping on the bandwagon after reading his posts. (browse the two sticky threads at the top of the dirty laundry area). Other negative posts are coming from people who have not greased the joints. Usually you can get a good idea if it is maintenance related just from reading the posts. If you don't plan on pulling out the grease gun, definitely go with the sealed spicers.
post #17 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I have JE Reel 1350s that I've ran for 3 years now. I just greas them a few times a year. But I think that any of the brands that you are considering would all be fine.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #18 of 93 Old 01-01-2012, 10:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Have you looked at High Angle? Jess builds most of the drive shafts for the serious crawlers, he does awesome work.

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #19 of 93 Old 01-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Granite Guru

Anyone with the AEV driveshaft or modified stock?

I'm looking to have a local shop use the factory rzeppa joints and just build a smaller diameter shaft to clear everything. I just worry that highway speeds with 5.38s will introduce vibes that will destroy the TC and maybe the tranny if I go with non rzeppa joints. The factory joints are supposed to be the best in reducing vibes.

And somehow I'm trying to convince myself that this route would give me a better chance at having my TC and tranny being covered under warranty.

2009 JKUR Auto
- HD Switchblade Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
- ARB Deluxe Front Bumper
- Warn Powerplant HP (front) + Warn M8000 (rear)
- Benchmark Dual Battery w/ smart isolator
- Rockhard Skids + AEV Diff Slider + Kilby Shock Skids
- Wildboar Square Roofrack + Sidestep
- AEV 3.5" Premium lift + STOCK tires!
post #20 of 93 Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post

yes, I remember that thread. Even the moderator embarrassed himself by stating bad information about u-joints or a double cardan. A vendor chimed in to correct him and was put in his place.
post #21 of 93 Old 01-02-2012, 07:13 AM
Wheeler

I'm in the same boat as the OP with trying to figure out what shafts to get. I saw Ballisticjeep drive shafts a wile ago haven't heard much about them at lest nothing bad.

JK Front and Rear Drive Shafts
This is a Complete Drive Shaft Package for a Two or Four Door Jeep JK Wrangler. You will receive Two Drive Shafts, Three Yokes, U-bolts, and Two sets of CV Bolts.

** Free Shipping on this Item.
post #22 of 93 Old 01-02-2012, 08:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Tom Woods is the gold standard in drive shafts. Get 'em and be done with it. Great product, great service.
post #23 of 93 Old 01-02-2012, 11:22 AM
JKO Addict!

My 08 JKU had the Teraflex shafts on it when I purchased it. I'm pretty sure they're made by someone else. Either way, I haven't had any problems with them.
post #24 of 93 Old 01-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Rock God

I have ran nearly everything mentioned above:

- Woods
- Local Built
- High Angle
- Tatton (just bought for my current build)

The Tatton's have not been built yet so I can't speak to the product quality but the service has been great.

What I have learned over the years is that the driveline supply base is about the best to work with in our industry.

All of the companies I have worked with have offered great service and experience.

I would LOVE to find a local shop to build my stuff but it has never worked out.

You can't go wrong with Woods or Jesse (High Angle) but I couldn't pass up the pricing I was able to get on Tatton's this time around.
post #25 of 93 Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
I don't like to hear that. I just put on the JE Reel 1310 OEM replacement and run 5.38 gears.

Did you play with your pinion angle at all to try and fix the vibes? I've got just a minor vibe.
I did. From 0 to 6 degrees caster and still couldn't get rid of them. Couldn't be happier with Coast.

2008 RUBY UNLIMITED

T&T CUSTOMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode