Swaybar Angles? What should they be? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Swaybar Angles? What should they be?

Ok, just put on my AEV 4.5" lift and want to know what angles the front and rear sway bars should be at.

Should they both be at 0 degrees plus or minus 2 or 3?

or is the rear one different? The rear is mostly my concern, my rear track bar is pulled down quite a bit. I am pretty sure that I need to go ahead and get adj. sway bar links front and rear but would like some feedback.

The front one (rear links move to front) seems close but has some load on it (sway bar tilted up).

Thanks!

2011 Jeep JK Unlimited

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Rock God

They both should be parallel with the ground. Also there are a decent amount of people running only a front sway bar and have ditched the rear all together.

Jersey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew
post #3 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieJK View Post
They both should be parallel with the ground.
X2 if they are not parallel the sway bar will not work at it's optimum, a few degrees either way won't make much difference.

The rear is less important as it does not do as much work, you can remove it, get longer/adjustable links, or live with it as it is. If the links are too short they may limit flex.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Wheeler

Garage

JKS manufacturing recommends front set at 0 deg +or- 5 deg, and rear set at -3 deg +or- 3 deg.

Hope that helps you out.

post #5 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes, I was just looking at my jeep and the rear sway bar is pulled down a good ways..... It looks like if I raise the rear sway bar to the proper level it will be very close to the brake line drop bracket and brake line itself.... very very close.....

What exactly is the purpose of the rear sway bar and how will the jeep handle without it.... seems like it would be there for a reason, wether lifted or not..

thanks

2011 Jeep JK Unlimited

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12
post #6 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
X2 if they are not parallel the sway bar will not work at it's optimum, a few degrees either way won't make much difference.

The rear is less important as it does not do as much work, you can remove it, get longer/adjustable links, or live with it as it is. If the links are too short they may limit flex.
Yep....
post #7 of 11 Old 01-01-2012, 04:07 PM
JKowners Vendor

Also think about full droop or full articulation. One of the most common things we see when we rack a customers Jeep are too short anti-sway bar links. Not a real issue if you have disconnectable links and actually unpin them but something to think about nonetheless.

If your links are too short and you fully articulate your front or rear end you can actually invert a link (or both) and cause some pretty serious damage your your calipers, brake/abs lines, or wheel.

It's very simple to check yourself if you have a floor jack.

Lift your front or rear end completely off the ground and look at the angle made by your anti-sway bar link and arm. If they form a straight line or very close to a straight line, the link is too short. With enough force from your hand you can actually invert the link yourself. If you were to invert your link and then lower your Jeep back down you can see all the damage it would cause.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
Also think about full droop or full articulation. One of the most common things we see when we rack a customers Jeep are too short anti-sway bar links. Not a real issue if you have disconnectable links and actually unpin them but something to think about nonetheless.

If your links are too short and you fully articulate your front or rear end you can actually invert a link (or both) and cause some pretty serious damage your your calipers, brake/abs lines, or wheel.

It's very simple to check yourself if you have a floor jack.

Lift your front or rear end completely off the ground and look at the angle made by your anti-sway bar link and arm. If they form a straight line or very close to a straight line, the link is too short. With enough force from your hand you can actually invert the link yourself. If you were to invert your link and then lower your Jeep back down you can see all the damage it would cause.
This is REALLY good information. Never even thought about this! Thanks!
post #9 of 11 Old 01-02-2012, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes, I completly agree.

2011 Jeep JK Unlimited

post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Rock God

I had a TJ with an AntiRock on the front.

First time out it inverted. (really sucked - trashed the AL arms)

It was set up parallel to the ground and the Jeep had 16" travel coilovers.

I reworked the links to extend them and angle the bar up ~ 15*.

Never had a problem after that.

I never thought about a loss of efficiency at the angle?????
post #11 of 11 Old 01-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Wheeler

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/antirock.aspx Watch the video an he explains it very well. it will automatically start

Build it! Run it! Break it! Repeat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode