Mastercraft vs smutty xrc seats--advice/input please - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
lbh
Rock God

Mastercraft vs smutty xrc seats--advice/input please

I am wanting to pull the plug on suspension seats, but can't bring myself to pay double for Mastercraft. I have always gone for quality vs price, do it right the first time always saves in the long run. Are the Mastercraft seats REALLY worth the price vs the smutty xrc? Other options?

2007 JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Granite Guru

Fixed or recline?

I have heard good things about

Twisted stitch

I have mastercraft but they are not installed yet , so not much of a help to you!

WORK HARD... PLAY HARDER!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I battled in my head over the same issue........ I finely spent the extra money (about $1000 total incl heated option) on seats.

My thought was...... I am going to do this once NOT TWICE this time.

If you can sit in your choices......before purchase.....better yet !!

The Project is moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
lbh
Rock God

I am looking at the reclining setup for both. I sat in both and can't tell the difference. Hence my question. I guess I am concerned that there is long term quality issues.

2007 JK
post #5 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!

I read about them and I think it's the longevity that makes Mastercraft best. I've read about seams ripping and fading of the Smittys.

PRP looks pretty good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Rock God

No love for Corbeau?

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #7 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
No love for Corbeau?
I originally went corbeau and sold them after a year cause I wasn't impressed, I have mastercraft baja rs up front and a sportsman bench in the rear and couldn't be happier
Spend the money right the first time

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #8 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Granite Guru

Do you guys always run harnesses? I have a full set of twisted stitch's and run 4 points full time and its starting to get old.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have regular belts and harness up front, run regular on the street, harness's on the trails
And just harness's in the back

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 03:19 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

I have a new set of Smittys sitting in my garage, so I can't say how reliable they are. However, the fit and finish seems pretty good and they are quite comfortable IMO
post #11 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Slow and Low

I went through this exact process when I bought new seats. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the Smitty's because someone said they felt the same as the Master's when you sit in them. (NOT THE CASE, Glad I didn't)

I decided to see for myself, so I went to the local 4WP to inspect, sit in all of them and play with the mechanisms.

The Smitty's had about 1/2" of play in the backrest when locked. The MC's had very little.

The Smitty's felt much stiffer than the MC's to me. They didn't feel like a suspension seat at all, but they were not too bad. I found the MC's to be much more comfortable.

The stitching underneath and the suspension system seems higher quality on the MC's.

The frame and the mounting tabs on the MC's appear to have nicer welds.

The XRC's did seem like pretty nice seats overall, but not on the same playing field as the MC's. Even though they look nearly identical, they are far from it.
I chose the MC's because I was able to afford them. BUT, I would probably consider the XRC's again if I were on a budget. They are pretty nice for the money.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 04:52 PM
JTG
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I went through this exact process when I bought new seats. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the Smitty's because someone said they felt the same as the Master's when you sit in them. (NOT THE CASE, Glad I didn't)

I decided to see for myself, so I went to the local 4WP to inspect, sit in all of them and play with the mechanisms.

The Smitty's had about 1/2" of play in the backrest when locked. The MC's had very little.

The Smitty's felt much stiffer than the MC's to me. They didn't feel like a suspension seat at all, but they were not too bad. I found the MC's to be much more comfortable.

The stitching underneath and the suspension system seems higher quality on the MC's.

The frame and the mounting tabs on the MC's appear to have nicer welds.

The XRC's did seem like pretty nice seats overall, but not on the same playing field as the MC's. Even though they look nearly identical, they are far from it.
I chose the MC's because I was able to afford them. BUT, I would probably consider the XRC's again if I were on a budget. They are pretty nice for the money.
Agreed If I had a bigger budget I would have gone Mastercraft for sure! Like anything Smittybilt, the quality isn't going to be on par with whoever they are copying. For my needs, the Smittys were a good compromise between 13 year TJ seats and full Mastercraft recliners. Whether I'd put them in my JK, who knows...
post #13 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Rock God

I've got 2 buddies that have sold their Smitty's and gone to MC. The long drives were killing them. They looked similar but didn't feel good over the long haul.
post #14 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If it were me, stick to Mastercraft, PRP, or Twisted Stitch.
I've seen Corbeau reclining seats break on the trail. Like literally break in half and fully recline while my buddy was going over an obstacle. It hurt him so much he thought he had broken his back. Luckily, it was just the seat that was broken (and his ego lol).

FWIW, I plan to get Mastercrafts. I've never heard anything negative about them or seen anyone that is unhappy with them.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s

Last edited by Joneszj; 01-02-2012 at 09:03 PM.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 05:46 PM
zjr
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have taken 2 200+ mile trips with my Smittys.

I have 3 bulging discs in my mid back, and the seats were fine.

No complaints. When I get my harness bar, I will have 5-pt, but until then I have the factory 3 point and MC 5-pt harnesses installed. I also will be getting them re-covered, when the funds rebuild, by Spider Web Shades... With marine grade vinyl.

01111001011011110111010100100000011011000110111101 11001101110100001000000111010001101000011001010010 000001100111011000010110110101100101

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirl View Post
James just came a little early......
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjk08 View Post
...May 2011 bless everyone with pervert wheeling days...
post #16 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

I wasn't a fan of the smitty seats when I sat in them. I ended up going with twisted stitch and have been very happy. I've had a few 14+ hour days in them and no complaints.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

I'm a fan of TS and MC. Many of my friends went smutty or Cor and weren't happy after a while.

I ordered the TS apex (fixed back) and found the "standard" to be a little short in the back and the width more snug than I like for a daily driver. easy fix I ordered the extra tall and wide. it's a little taller than the MC equivalent and it is a dream for long trips. my girl got the smaller seat and she loves it.

as for the adj back seats I think the TS and the MC are about the same.
if you can sit in it for a bit before you buy the better off you will be.

in my experience spending the extra money the first time will save you money in the long run.

homebuilt JK - blood, sweat, lemonade. renamed LOOSE NUTS
post #18 of 18 Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM
JKowners Vendor

Location: behind a computer answering questions. Wish it was a trail.

Get they MCS seat covers as well. Worth the extra few bucks if your Jeep is exposed to a lot of weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode