Whats a good CB radio????? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Whats a good CB radio?????

Ok, looking for a CB, what is a good one to get that is around 150-175ish?

Also, I would need a short antenna if possible.

Thanks

2011 Jeep JK Unlimited

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 03:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Unfortunately the antenna length is usually more important than the actual CB. I've had a low end CB with a 102" whip keep up with a tweaked full size CB on a stubby firestik.

Are you trying to talk over long distances? Keep up with other guys on the trail?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The primary use will just be to keep up with the guys on the trails during excursions... Not planning on talking long ranges like a trucker would...

Thxs

2011 Jeep JK Unlimited

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanblack321 View Post
The primary use will just be to keep up with the guys on the trails during excursions... Not planning on talking long ranges like a trucker would...

Thxs
I, and many others have used a $35 WalMart Cobra 19 with no problems. I now have a Cobra 29 (mostly due to me getting it for cheap)...but it does not take a whole lot to keep up with a close pack of rigs. Just my opinion.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Rock God

Uniden and Cobra make good units. Like Goody said make sure you get a decent antenna and have it tuned properly.

Jersey

Crew
post #6 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

For that money, you can get a top of the line CB. Pick a name brand with the options you like and be done.

As stated already a properly tuned antenna is more important usually. You don't really need a short antenna either. You just need to mount it in a way so it doesn't stand 4 ft above the roof of your vehicle. Many people mount theirs someplace on or around the tire carrier so the antenna is centrally located and only sticks above the roof line about a ft or less. This keeps it from catching on most items. Also, consider an antenna that flexes like the Wilson Flex or comparable. This way, if it does catch on something, it'll just bend down and then back once you're past without breaking anything. A spring is another option, but a flexible antenna is better.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #7 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 03:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I love my Cobra 75. I like that it's easily detachable and hidden...and the actual unit is perfect sized to fit in hand.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #8 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What do u mean , a antenna ?

2011 Jeep JK Unlimited

post #9 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 05:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanblack321 View Post
What do u mean , a antenna ?
lol. Ok, you have more to learn than we thought.

A CB is just the part of the system that turns the radio waves to sound. Along with the CB, you'll need coax, and an antenna. You may need to ground your antenna as well, depending on the SWR which is the reading you get when you tune the CB. You want the SWR to be as low as possible.

In my rig, I have this radio because it's small and easy to find a place for...
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/co...radio-204.html

And this antenna in 3 ft length...
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/wi...tenna-363.html

You'll also need coax, which is the wire the for the antenna to radio...
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/co...-feet-501.html

An external speaker is also nice, especially with the above mentioned CB because the sound isn't very loud or clear in the speakers that come with CBs generally. An external speaker is especially nice when the top and doors are off...
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb...eaker-407.html

An SWR meter is how the whole system is tuned. You don't really need to buy one if you have a truck stop or radio place nearby as they can tune it for you, but here is one just for reference...
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/cb...meter-333.html

With all the above items, you have a complete CB system. Wire the CB direct to the battery to avoid interfence in the power line which cause wierd noises to be heard. Find a suitable place to mount the CB and the speaker inside the jeep and mount the antenna someplace outside, like the tire carrier as mentioned before.

Also, even though I directed you to Right Channel Radios, it should be mentioned that all of those parts are available at all sorts of places and generally can be found for cheaper as RCR is kind of pricey, but they do make getting everything you need easy. They even have kits.

post #10 of 15 Old 12-31-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yes, I know a good bit about Jeeps but not a lot about CB radios.

Thank you for your input, huge help!

2011 Jeep JK Unlimited

post #11 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
I love my Cobra 75. I like that it's easily detachable and hidden...and the actual unit is perfect sized to fit in hand.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Rock God

I have been looking at this kit:

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/je...wx-st-419.html

$179.95 for a complete kit. You can probably save $15 or 20 bucks sourcing it individually else where....

Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, + upper control arms:RRD remote reservoir shocks:Teraflex Speed Bumps:Poison Spyder bumpers, fenders, and rockers: Gen Right tire carrier: Rigid duallies, 20 and 50 bars, fogs: Trucklites: Off Road Hero's Top: Genesis Off Road dual battery kit:
post #13 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

X2 - Wilson flexible antenna. I have seen many rigid sticks break on the trail.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
Mine failed on me after 8 uses. The "process" to get it resolved was rediculous, and took months.

Cobra said, uninstall the whole thing, mail it to us and we will fix it. Months later they mail it back to me saying CB broken and cannot be fixed, probably cable. I was furious after uninstalling/mailing/waiting that they would sent the unit back, not working.

I bought a Uniden while waiting for my Cobra to get fixed/replaced. Very happy with the Uniden.

The Cobra replacement now sits in it's original box in a cupboard. They would not work with me on a different model of equal or lesser value.

Mine is probably one bad experience, and may not be the same for everybody, but I am left unhappy with Cobra.

'12JK-U Rubi /Dynatrac ProRock 44 / 4:88's / 2.5 Old Man Emu Susp Lift /F&R JKS Trac Bars /OME Long Travel Shocks /BilstienSS /TereFlex Control Arms /Coast1310 /Eng Oil, Evap, Rear Diff Plates, LoD Rock Sliders /Duratracs - 35's /BlackRock Wheels /Zenon Wheel Flares /DetachFlaps /LoD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier /K&N/Engo10,000S Winch/FloorLiners /Uniden 510

Last edited by JeepBobWinnipeg; 01-01-2012 at 01:50 PM.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-01-2012, 02:06 PM
JKO Addict!

I have read a handful of issues with the 75, but have read issues with pretty much every part made for jeeps too. I've had mine for a few years now and it still works fine. With that said, I can't hardly recall ever reading anything bad about any of the larger units like the 29. I just like the 75 for ease of mounting. In all honesty, if I could find a suitable place to mount it, I'd have a 29 in my jeep, but I just can't find any place I like. Not to mention, I can unhook the cable of the 75 and remove it for when the doors are off so it doesn't walk off.

I also have one of the small handheld Midlands. It's similar to the 75, but with the option of removing the head unit and attaching a battery pack and antenna for completely mobile use when out on foot. However, I think my 75 works better, and on par with a 29. I do think it's a bit more delicate though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode