HID vs LED auxilliary lighting - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 12-30-2011, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

HID vs LED auxilliary lighting

Hey jeepers. I'm curious what some of you have to say about HID vs LED lighting. From those of you who have experience with them, which beam pattern do you prefer for lighting the trail? Also, any other insight about size, housing, etc. would also be helpful.

I'm most interested in the Hella 4000i HID pencil beam right now.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have personally had both. The output from the HID is phenomenal, however, my lights would often go out if they got bounced around too much. The ballasts do not like to be jarred. I have not had the same experience with LED's. They seem to take whatever is thrown at them. It really just comes down to personal preference. I have a friend who is also going Rigid after his Hid-x lights went out on him last wheeling trip.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by modalmogul View Post
Hey jeepers. I'm curious what some of you have to say about HID vs LED lighting. From those of you who have experience with them, which beam pattern do you prefer for lighting the trail? Also, any other insight about size, housing, etc. would also be helpful.

I'm most interested in the Hella 4000i HID pencil beam right now.

Thanks.
A lot depends on what kind of trails you do... if you're talking full throttle baja stuff, then a few pencil+euro/driving beams HIDs with a flood are a nice cheap-ish way to go (if you don't go with the big names... Hidx, Eagle Eye, Rugged Ridge, etc). But for most guys, they don't need to see 1/4mi away but something a little closer to headlight range. Something more like a driving beam or flood is better now. The Rigid Dually or Specter bar lights are a nice option for this. LED has a huge advantage in strength and reliability, there's a video on youtube of a Rigid bar that was in a 117mph crash on a Baja car, and still works!

Pencil beam lights are basically spotlights. A nice bright round light but nothing much outside of it. Only good for straight ahead long distance stuff... typically not very useful on offroad trails as a result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've run both. I liked the beam of the HidX lights, but I prefer the instant on of LEDs.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 Old 12-31-2011, 03:05 AM
Granite Guru

Recently I've been swapping out my HIDs to LEDs for the pros of having instant on and the that they suck up way less battery.
post #6 of 32 Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Wheeler

I have kragen hid's in 7" (about 3200 lumen each). Two of them light up the trail well. Beam pattern is wide but a little flat. Pattern of light is not as smooth as led. Would like to have 2 more. Also have dually d2's (2600 lumens each) wich put out a perfect pattern on light for trails, not really a long range light. For trail lights led are nicer. Road I like the hid's. Also some people have a hard time seeing with LEDs and hid's light spectrums. Best to ride in a rig with them for a while at night to see what you prefer.
post #7 of 32 Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

I got Rigid Dually's on my windshield. They are bright as fawk and can take punishment. I have HID headlights and they sometimes get bouncy and when, I went wheeling on the 3rd, one HID went out. I think for the money, LED is the way to go.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #8 of 32 Old 12-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Wheeler

x2 on riding with someone and see for yourself which you prefer. Personally I prefer LED's and went with Rigid 50" light bar, Dually D2's on the windshield, 20" light bar on the base of the stinger and two Dually D2's on the tire carrier in the rear, which are predominant for camping, etc.

post #9 of 32 Old 12-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Rock God

I would gladly trade or sell my HidX for LED's
Not that they arent good but the led are better and for about the same money.

Message spread by Paul Revere

post #10 of 32 Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

yea, those look hot Minx!
post #11 of 32 Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKrazed View Post
I have personally had both. The output from the HID is phenomenal, however, my lights would often go out if they got bounced around too much. The ballasts do not like to be jarred. I have not had the same experience with LED's. They seem to take whatever is thrown at them.
X2

If you need to see way off into the distance then HIDs are hard to beat. For general trail lighting LEDs are great and you can get a light pattern that will suit just about any needs.

HIDs can flicker when subject to vibration and impact, and will not stand up to abuse like LEDs will. LEDs should last longer than the vehicle, are instantly on, and produce relatively little heat.

For the trail you'll find LEDs hard to beat, they usually are better at saturating a wide area than HIDs, and light bars have a great vertical spread lighting up everything in front of you. I run a single 20" LED light bar on my bumper and it really throws some light out in a very usable pattern for the trail. Combine their great light patterns with durability and LEDs are hard to beat on everything but price.

post #12 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Wheeler

I'm honestly surprised I don't see these discussed on here. I run them in my Big Rig nice white light. Only issue I've discovered is they don't get warm, so those of us in the midwest get snow and ice build up in the winter months. It's plug and play replacement for H4 headlights. I'll get a better pic of mine in my rig tonight. I'm also running the Rigid Dually's for load lights they are very bright.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=64057
post #13 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Granite Guru

I have the TL LED's and love them.

The only issues I have with them at the moment is the pulse in the jeep system makes them flicker just a little bit, but not enough to worry about!

WORK HARD... PLAY HARDER!
post #14 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve79 View Post
I have the TL LED's and love them.

The only issues I have with them at the moment is the pulse in the jeep system makes them flicker just a little bit, but not enough to worry about!
What do you mean by pulse? Guess it's not something I'm familiar with. Is this something on the JK's? I didn't have any issues on my TJ
post #15 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 03:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got LED's. Wouldn't have it any different. On the trail at night I can see way more than the other guys can out wheeling. D2's in the driving beam work real good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #16 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Its hard to go wrong either way. I have a set of Hella Rallye 4000i Compacts and I LOVE them when I need light out at a distance. They throw a ridiculous amount of light. LED's are awesome as well. They're pretty damn bullet proof (check out rigid's video on how indestructible their LED's are), and they're bright. LED's for use as vehicle lighting is a newer technology and they're finally getting the reflectors perfected. The nice part about LED light bars like the Rigids is you can even get them in a dual beam pattern meaning that half of the LED reflectors in the light bar are spot and the others are flood. One disadvantages of an LED light bar though, is while they'll last a long time, if you do get a diode that burns out you can't really just replace it like you can on an HID or incandescent light. LED's as far as I'm aware are always on a circuit board so to replace them the whole circuit board would have to either be 'fixed' or replaced. I'm not 100% positive on that but thats mostly what i've seen. Its not as much of a problem on a light bar used for illumination on a vehicle because how often are you going to be looking at it when its on and thinking "damn that looks like shit, theres one diode out" lol. Tail/break lights are another story Eventually I'm going to add a 10" Rigid light bar to my Jeep so between those, my Delta quad bar head lights, and my Hella HID's I should have an insane amount of light

07 X 2dr- 6spd

Last edited by Topgun863; 01-14-2012 at 03:22 PM.
post #17 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I prefer the LED for some of the same reasons as mentioned above strength, watt use, durability, and look.

I have the Ridge Industry 50" duel LED. I also just installed the ORO Litespotz rock lights. I put a couple pictures up with both sets of lights on.

www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67460

Last edited by Addiction; 01-16-2012 at 08:14 AM.
post #18 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
What do you mean by pulse? Guess it's not something I'm familiar with. Is this something on the JK's? I didn't have any issues on my TJ
Again I just proved I cannot read!

I have the TL LED headlamps and there is evidently a pulse width modulation PWM system in a jk that causes them to pulsate just a little bit . I have never seen my rig driving towards me so not really sure how bad it is , but can see it on the backs of other cars.

Again I love the lights but for the price it should not do this!

WORK HARD... PLAY HARDER!
post #19 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Rock God

You tell me what you like better. First pic is headlights, second is three four inch HIDx, third is 50" Rigid sr and hidx together.

post #20 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbsjeep View Post
You tell me what you like better. First pic is headlights, second is three four inch HIDx, third is 50" Rigid sr and hidx together.
Hard to compare ~450 worth of HID lights to a 1200 LED light bar. I like HIDx, but unless they're aimed perfectly, then they're only so so. There's also better HIDs out there - and the price tag to go with it.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #21 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

post #22 of 32 Old 01-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Hard to compare ~450 worth of HID lights to a 1200 LED light bar. I like HIDx, but unless they're aimed perfectly, then they're only so so. There's also better HIDs out there - and the price tag to go with it.
Yup you get what you pay for.

post #23 of 32 Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Rock God

Good discussion guys. I run two Lightforce 170s on the bumper for distance. They are awesome for distance and I can pick out a deer in the ditch at 1/4-1/2 mile, but they are a tight spot pattern and require some distance to get a good spread.
I also have 2 HDI LED spot beams on the windshield mounts for back roads, worklight, and trails. Even though they are classed as a spot beam they cast a wider, more even light that blows away the factory low and high beams for both width and distance.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #24 of 32 Old 01-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Wheeler

Here's my 7". TL LED's on my rig 2yrs OTR use no issues other than ice/snow build up in winter months.

First pic is low beams. 2nd is high.

Low beams standing back

Posted from my iPhone
post #25 of 32 Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

LED is amazing! i am thinking of the LED headlights vs. HID!

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42 MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode