installing psc flares - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-30-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
installing psc flares

so been installing the psc flares these past few days and have a few specific questions that i couldn't find any answers to in all the threads i've looked up. hoping those who have already installed can help me out.

1. in step 16 for installing rear flares, how do you drill the upper most hole for the rear bracket? (on the back of the wheel well)

2. having trouble getting some of the 1 1/4" bolts on the fronts to thread into the metal clips on the sub bracket. just doesn't want to grab the thread and just keeps pushing the clip away from it. already stripped the head of one bolt..

Teraflex - Poly Performance - Poison Spyder - Off Road Hero's - Rugged Ridge - Superchips - Goodyear - aFe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwang View Post
so been installing the psc flares these past few days and have a few specific questions that i couldn't find any answers to in all the threads i've looked up. hoping those who have already installed can help me out.

1. in step 16 for installing rear flares, how do you drill the upper most hole for the rear bracket? (on the back of the wheel well)

This is a damn good question. I didn't. I drilled the ones I could get to, and with those it is very stout.

2. having trouble getting some of the 1 1/4" bolts on the fronts to thread into the metal clips on the sub bracket. just doesn't want to grab the thread and just keeps pushing the clip away from it. already stripped the head of one bolt..
No idea ...mine went in smoothly.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #3 of 16 Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Rock God

Yeah, i skipped that one as well!

Strangely, i didnt have any problems with the clips either....

Sorry man, looks like you have to call PSC. Install was a PITA but well worth it, welcome to tue club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Rock God

Putting my rears on was relatively easy but the fronts made my quarter panels bow and I have no clue what to do about it. I guess armor over it but still it sucks

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #5 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

yeah install is definitely a PITO for sure. ended up leaving that top bolt out of the rear bracket. actually ended up leaving two bolts each out of the rear flares. that doesn't really bother me since its bolted in so well.

the front on the other hand is driving me nuts. guess i will just have to call PSC but still not seeing how that will really solve my issue, still going to have to remove the entire flare and hope the same thing doesn't happen again... seems like it'd be easier to install if the bolts had a point like a screw so that it could thread itself in... stupid clip on nuts really pissing me off.

Teraflex - Poly Performance - Poison Spyder - Off Road Hero's - Rugged Ridge - Superchips - Goodyear - aFe
post #6 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Rock God

Does your quarter panels bow?

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #7 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
Does your quarter panels bow?
mm no not that i have been able to tell.. however i haven't fully tightened all the front bolts down yet as i haven't been able to get two to thread. on either side...

post #8 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Can you just take the clip on nut off, use and nut and washer behind the panel?

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #9 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Can you just take the clip on nut off, use and nut and washer behind the panel?
no the way the bracket is located you can't fit your hand up there to put the nut on

post #10 of 16 Old 01-07-2012, 03:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
no the way the bracket is located you can't fit your hand up there to put the nut on
How bout a wrench with tape on one side, nut placed on tape and put it up there?

I did that for my genright flares, but there was no bracket with those...

Edit...just read the instructions. That won't help either. Good luck.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak

Last edited by EMG006; 01-07-2012 at 03:13 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 PM
Wheeler

Quote:

2. I had the exact same issue with the front with getting some of the bolts to thread the speed clips. I had to remove the metal hoop that keeps the speed clips in place. They kept bending and not allowing the bolt to completely thread.

08 JKU
post #12 of 16 Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09GRNJK View Post
2. I had the exact same issue with the front with getting some of the bolts to thread the speed clips. I had to remove the metal hoop that keeps the speed clips in place. They kept bending and not allowing the bolt to completely thread.
well i'm glad i'm not the only one who had that problem. kind of wish PSC would just weld those bitches on or something. really really irritating dealing with that shit

post #13 of 16 Old 01-14-2012, 11:30 AM

I had the same problem with my fronts. It took awhile, but I finally figured out the problem. The directions mention using longer bolts in some of the top center holes in the flare...don't! If you look inside you'll see the longer bolts go through the flares and clips, and then when tightened down they continue through the clip and hit a fender support. As they are tightened further they push against the fender support and push the flare outward. This pushing on the top center is what causes the fender to bow and not sit flush with the flare. This is also what causes problems with getting bolts into some of the other clips. As a temporary fix you can just loosen the longer bolts and try to get your fender to flatten out (mine woulnd't and was permanently bowed). As a more permanent fix you can pick up a few more of the shorter bolts.

The worst part is I described the problem to PSC and asked them to look into it and get back to me. They never got back to me, never changed their directions or their bolts, and people are still damaging their Jeep's front fenders.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Rock God

So you have bowed fenders as well? I'm contemplating selling the front flares and buying the ORE ones with armor to cover it up.

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #15 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

how much gap are you guys having between the fender and the body? i'll get some pics tomorrow but there's a good amount on my fronts. have no idea how to close the gap. its large enough so that you can see the rubber liner flapping about between them.

post #16 of 16 Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 PM
V8 dreams

I didn't install my rubber liners and I have a fairly large gap. I've seen folks put a trim piece between flare and fender that looks pretty clean. And on the bolt problem, I started with the most problematic bolt first and the freaking stars aligned I guess. If I started at bottom bolt and moved toward front of jeep, nothing lined up. Weird

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode