JE REEL Rear Drive Shaft Help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

JE REEL Rear Drive Shaft Help

I had the rear driveshaft replaced by a JE REEL driveshaft about two months ago. But now I am experiencing a loud squeaking noise coming from the rear driveshaft. I lubed the driveshaft, but the very next day the squeaking noise came right backÖ Very annoying.. Any suggestions??????

4dr Unlimited Rubicon - Rescue Green
Poly Performance 4.5" Synergy Stage 3 Suspension System
JE Reel 1350 Jeep JK Front/Rear Driveline With New Yokes
Woods Evap Canister Relocation Kit
37" Toyo MT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Wheeler

Was it after wheelin. Sounds like a u-joint.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yep... after two water crossing and then running through sand a short while it started... I know it is the rear driveshaft (double cardin joint), because I was stupid enough to get underneath it and have my son pull me 'SLOWLY' down the street on his longboard skateboard so I could identify where the noise was coming from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaulk View Post
Was it after wheelin. Sounds like a u-joint.

37" Toyo MT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Did you have to change the yokes? Did you keep the u-joints lubed or did you just lube them after you heard the squeal?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #5 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I haven't lube them since they were put on new 2 months ago... The yokes where changed... So, yes I lubed them after the squeal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Did you have to change the yokes? Did you keep the u-joints lubed or did you just lube them after you heard the squeal?

37" Toyo MT's
post #6 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasJK View Post
I haven't lube them since they were put on new 2 months ago... The yokes where changed... So, yes I lubed them after the squeal...
I would pull the shaft and rotate the joints to see if any have rough spots. Have you checked the rear brakes to male sure you don't have a rock in between the dust shield and rotor, I had a rock wedged in the caliper that was rubbing on the rotor. When you remove the shaft jack the rear wheels off the ground and rotate the pinion to make sure nothing is wrong with those bearings. One of these should land the squeal.

|
|
post #7 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

bodyguy... Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I would pull the shaft and rotate the joints to see if any have rough spots. Have you checked the rear brakes to male sure you don't have a rock in between the dust shield and rotor, I had a rock wedged in the caliper that was rubbing on the rotor. When you remove the shaft jack the rear wheels off the ground and rotate the pinion to make sure nothing is wrong with those bearings. One of these should land the squeal.

37" Toyo MT's
post #8 of 12 Old 02-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Granite Guru

I had my front one start making noise on my way back from Moab last spring. At the time, I only had a couple thousand miles on the JK and almost the same on the driveshaft. It was the double cardin joint. I had it replaced in Salt Lake and haven't had any problems since.

The drive shafts come pre-lubed, but it's always a good idea to check before installing them ... not sure if the shop that installed mine did or not. JE Reel ended up covering it under warranty for me. They were great to work with!

Sounds like you have pinpointed the noise, so I'd give them a call. Any picts of the troubleshooting - longboard style?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-25-2009, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Nope.. No pictures.. But I told my son he'd pay if he ran over me....

37" Toyo MT's
post #10 of 12 Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

I just replaced my rear driveshaft. Had the same squeel and thought it was the brakes.

Being new to modified vehicles, I had no clue that you have to keep these double cardin joints lubed! JEReel didn't mention it, and neither did the shop that did the install. So 9 months later (three months out of warranty-) and 400 bucks, I now have a custom drive shaft and a new double cardin, etc. Guess its ok, since I was also 1.5 inches short on the driveshaft length to begin with. (Northridge)

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #11 of 12 Old 02-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Wheeler

I had this exact problem with my shafts twice now. JE Reel has been very good about replacing them. Call Jim.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had a similar problem with my XJ... it was the front cardigan joint, had it rebuilt, new u-joints, put it back on and no problems since.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode