Adjustable LCA's - Wow! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Adjustable LCA's - Wow!

I put on my RK 2.5" stock mod last Spring. I pieced together the other parts - Poly brackets at both ends, JKS trackbars, etc. I bought some adjustable control arms but didn't get around to installing them. So essentially, I was driving on a Stock Mod. It rode well, but was definitely squirrely in the steering. An alignment helped, but not completely. It still was not confidence building. Wife didn't like it. I just got used to it.

This Fall, I started getting Death Wobble. Not super bad, but it was getting worse. Ball joints checked out OK, but this was another sign that I needed some time under the Jeep.

I put the Front LCA's on this week. Still have Front UCA's & all 4 rears to put on. So I'm almost running a Max Travel lift. I gotta tell you - the front end feels completely different. The steering feels tight again, the death wobble is gone, and it drives like a dream. And I still have more arms to put on!

If any of you are wrestling between the stock mod & max travel - go get the max travel. You won't regret it.

2011 5.3L GM LC9 Aluminum LS V8 Conversion w/ Custom Dyno Tune
Aluminum Genright Bumpers Front & Rear - Aluminum Nemesis Rockers
PR44/RCV/Reid Front - Superior Rear - ORF Front / Poly Rear Cage - ORF Tire Carrier
RK 3.5" Springs - Fox 2.0 Adjustable Shocks - JKS Arms & Trackbars - Poly Steering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Good for you! Getting that pinion angle right is important. But I doubt that its the cause of your DW unless your old arms has loose bolts.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

Could have been blown bushings from funky angles on his stock lowers.

I'm glad you posted this- I've been in the market for the 2.5 max travel and have been considering the stock mod to get me by. With so many reports of the adjustable lowers improving the ride/steering so immensely, I'm going to hold tight and jump straight for the max travel. Do it right and do it once.

1988 Wrangler YJ, Q78-15s, some of this, some of that...
2014 Grand Cherokee Limited, EcoDiesel, RWD...
2013 RAM 1500 4x4, more buttons that I'm usually allowed to touch...
2007 JK X, just getting started...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-24-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

No, not the cause of the DW, but it definitely helps eliminate the onset of it. I did several other things while I was under there (including installing the Cam Bolt Eliminators on my trackbar) - I'm sure all of those helped. But I'll tell you what - it makes a big difference.

I'll be building a PR44 after the Hemi gets installed - that will be the Pinion Angle Restoration Tool. (PART(TM))

For now though, it drives a ton better. I wish I would have done this from the beginning.

If you're shopping for a new lift, I'd say go with what you can afford, but if you don't get new LCA's right off, plan on putting them on within a payday or two of that lift.

2011 5.3L GM LC9 Aluminum LS V8 Conversion w/ Custom Dyno Tune
Aluminum Genright Bumpers Front & Rear - Aluminum Nemesis Rockers
PR44/RCV/Reid Front - Superior Rear - ORF Front / Poly Rear Cage - ORF Tire Carrier
RK 3.5" Springs - Fox 2.0 Adjustable Shocks - JKS Arms & Trackbars - Poly Steering
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode