Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator Review 2012 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-23-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator Review 2012 JK

Hey guys, just wanted to a brief write-up regarding the hypertech speedometer calibrator and recalibrating a 2012 automatic jk with bigger tires.

I have the 752001 unit (04-10 Chrysler gas truck/SUV) which came with my Jeep from the dealer. I have a 2012 jk automatic with 35's and stock 3.73 (lift installed by the dealer). Couple things:

1.) Take the time to measure your tire height as it does make a difference when programmed (as I'm sure many of you know by now). I had to enter in 33", even though I have 35's, to get the speed correct (my true height was about 33.75"). This doesn't sound so horrible but brings me to my next observation....

2.) The shift points at 33" are not bad, however, 3rd revs very high (almost 4k) when accelerating at highway speeds. Also, when just cruising at 60-65mph, the transmission likes to hang out in 4th gear and often I have to up-shift manually to get the rpms down a bit more, which is a big deal because of gas mileage. Now when I say RPMs, I mean from 2300k or so in 4th, down to 17-1800k in 5th.

I have an AEV 2012 procal on the way and plan to reset back to stock with the hypertech and see if AEV's programming is better suited for the 2012 3.6L, even though my current unit technically "works" with the car, I still have some doubts with the hypertechs true compatibility with the pentastar engine (it is not listed on their site or packaging to truly be compatible). I will follow-up when it gets here and please don't think I am hating on Hypertech...the unit is great to use but partial throttle shifting is really a big deal, at least to me, and I would imagine for anyone with DD on bigger tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Wheeler

UGH...you do know that Hypertech is working the 2011 - 2012 issues in a release that is under "internal" testing. Some owners have a "beta" release of the new software on their 2007 - 2010 models which has settings to address the issues you have detailed. I have the new software and an VERY happy with the performance results and options provided. Of course there are a lot of 2011 - 2012 JKers waiting for the release of this from Hypertech while I am playing around (testing) the new-and-improved software on my 2008!!!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28545

Viper Throttle Body, Hypertech Programmer, Black Diamond 3.0" lift with front/rear springs, AEV front LCA drop brackets, Rusty's front/rear adjustable LCA's, Daystar front/rear adjustable UCA's, adjustable front/rear track bar, Black Diamond AT shocks, Rock Krawler JK Rear Spring Wedges, 4.88 gears, Front D30, Rear D44, Riddler Diff Covers, Eaton E-Lockers Front & Rear, Tom Woods front/rear Drive Shafts, D30 Ten Factory Chromoly Axles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by justmegsb; 12-24-2011 at 06:04 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

hhhmmm interesting, any idea of when the update will be released? I do like the ease of the hypertech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

I don't see on the link where they are talking about the 3.6 or the 2012 jeeps. What I see is the 3.8.
Subscribed waiting to see what the outcome is.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Got the AEV ProCal in today. Reset my JK back to stock on the hypertech. Set the switches on the ProCal and went for a spin.

Long and short, BIG difference. The automatic engine/throttle are much more responsive and the engine does not hang on to gears and shifts at more appropriate times.

Like I said earlier, not trying to disrespect Hypertech, but the ProCal I think is a much better fit for 2012 JKers with automatics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode