Poison Spyder rear tire stinger? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Poison Spyder rear tire stinger?

So I'm in the market for a new tire carrier AND I'm a cheap bastard. So short of doing something custom (my next step) I wanted to find something that is relatively inexpensive. Now step in the stinger from poison spyder, its on the high end of what I want to pay but I can justify it if it will work. They offer a DIY kit for non-TJ/LJ/YJ/CJ trucks. I wanted to know if anyone out there has gotten this to work with the JK. Im not afraid of a little metal work (I can do basic fab but my friend is a more advanced welder so he can pick up where I leave off). Or if anyone has any tire carrier suggestions that are under $600, I would love you forever..... okay not really but you get the point. One side question, I know these are designed to hold 40's but will my 34" look stupid in it? lol.

Thanks.

The link for anyone wondering.
http://shop.poisonspyder.com/Jeep-Re.../14-13-010.htm

09 X, 3.25" Rough Country Lift, NO SWAYBARS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 34 Swamper's, KC 130w Daylighter, Smittybilt SRC Rock Rails, AEV Snorel, HF Badlands 12000lb, Ace Tube Fenders, River Raider extended breathers, Poison Spyder Hood Louvers
Current projects: off road trailer.
Future upgrades: lockers, long arms, Drive shafts, Humvee 37's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

What do you plan on bolting or pinning the upper portion to? Assuming you have rear corners?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-23-2011, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I just kinda assumed that I could bolt it to the body, I dont have the crusher corners.

, 34 Swamper's, KC 130w Daylighter, Smittybilt SRC Rock Rails, AEV Snorel, HF Badlands 12000lb, Ace Tube Fenders, River Raider extended breathers, Poison Spyder Hood Louvers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I was under the imopression that poison didn't release the JK stinger because of the difference between the body and frame flexing would rip the corners off.

I went with the OR-Fab tire carrier and the Poison rear BFH bumper. Works like a charm - for any size tire. I can get pics of my setup, but not from the iPad I'm on now.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-23-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My buddy In town has the OR-FAB tire carrier and I thought I would do something different so it doesn't look like I'm just copying his rig. But thats an interesting point, I wouldnt be surprised if it was due to structural integrity.

post #6 of 7 Old 12-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
I was under the imopression that poison didn't release the JK stinger because of the difference between the body and frame flexing would rip the corners off.

I went with the OR-Fab tire carrier and the Poison rear BFH bumper. Works like a charm - for any size tire. I can get pics of my setup, but not from the iPad I'm on now.
Yes that's one of the reasons we never released a JK version of our Stinger tire carrier. The JK body mounts have so much movement that attaching a frame/body mounted carrier would be very tricky in a production piece.

The OR Fab carrier and our BFH bumper are a popular combo.
Thanks,

Larry McRae

951-849-5911
Connect with us on:

post #7 of 7 Old 12-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Granite Guru

If Poison Spyder doesn't offer one for the JK, than don't try to put on there. Those guys are incredible engineers and if they don't have that for the JK, it's because they couldn't make it work right. I would suggest going with the OR-Fab. If you search on-line, you can sometimes find them for under $500. When you find one online for pretty cheap, google to see if there is a coupon code to redeem. I once found one for $400 with shipping by using this method. It just takes time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode