Anyone made a custom...NON bumper mounted tire carrier? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Anyone made a custom...NON bumper mounted tire carrier?

I'm on my 11th Jeep and quite frankly hate swing-a-way tire carriers. I have seen very few ever that I actually like.

It seems like we are in this 30 year old rut of design and I would like to see something fresh. I get in and out of the tailgate a LOT and hate hafving to swing out a tire carrier first.

My last Jeep I used a Bestop mount which worked really well except the tailgate was still a monster to shut with a 37 on it. With the Bestop carrier tight enough to work right, it was also very stiff to swing.

I was thinking of making my own mount to replace the factory carrier on the tailgate. Something that would move the tire in totally flush with the tailgate,and up just enough to make it fit. This alone would eliminate a ton of leverage on the gate. Plus iw would stay tight to the jeep for better departure, clearance etc.

I have also considered (for many many years) simply adding a 3rd hinge in the middle of the gate along with the right spacers and even an extra sheet of steel to add siffness to the tailgate.

3rd brakelite would be an LED in the center cap of the tire.

Anyone done or seen something similar?

Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Haven't seen this but it sounds great. I would personally love to see something like this. I'm running a 35 on the tailgate with a spacer (wouldn't clear the bumper due to backspacing) and every time I open / close the tailgate, I realize how much stress that thin sheet metal is under.

2008 Steel Blue Sahara Unlimited with lots of fun mods!
post #3 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post

My last Jeep I used a Bestop mount which worked really well except the tailgate was still a monster to shut with a 37 on it. With the Bestop carrier tight enough to work right, it was also very stiff to swing.

Cole, is this what you used on your previous Jeep, and did you say it worked well enough?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12203_100_07.htm

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

post #5 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Rock God

Are looking for something like this?

I haven't seen any that support a 37" tire without attaching to the bumper for support.

James
post #6 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

The Bestop one held my 37 on steel allied beadlock just fine for many years. It just makes the tailgate action stiff, needed bearings instead of bushings.

post #7 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
ahh, OK, thanks, that looks tougher than the one they have out for the JK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM Offroad View Post
Are looking for something like this?

I haven't seen any that support a 37" tire without attaching to the bumper for support.

James
Do you know who makes that one?

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #8 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Rock God

Hanson makes the one in the picture. Their products are very well built. I had their bumper mounted tire carrier on my LJ and it was rock solid. I don't have my yellow star yet so I can't quite tell you where you can get it.

<----

James
post #9 of 28 Old 02-21-2009, 10:40 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM Offroad View Post
Hanson makes the one in the picture. Their products are very well built. I had their bumper mounted tire carrier on my LJ and it was rock solid. I don't have my yellow star yet so I can't quite tell you where you can get it.

<----

James
Ahh, I think it I figured it out

post #10 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 AM
Granite Guru

Someday I'll get this one; http://www.expeditionone.biz/JKrearSTC.htm
It is bumper mounted but it doesn't have a latch.

H3 Lux with Adventure Package

Gone but not forgotten:
2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
2007 Silver Rubicon Unlimited
post #11 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 AM
JKO Addict!

RockRash4x4 just finished building one for me- He'll be installing it next weekend. The way he designed it, all the weight is on the bumper & frame, but it swings with the tailgate. I got my first look at it yesterday and it is very cool. Also has a highlift mount, a gerry can mount, and an antenna mount. I can't wait to get it on. But it is very heavy (very well made).
post #12 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
RockRash4x4 just finished building one for me- He'll be installing it next weekend. The way he designed it, all the weight is on the bumper & frame, but it swings with the tailgate. I got my first look at it yesterday and it is very cool. Also has a highlift mount, a gerry can mount, and an antenna mount. I can't wait to get it on. But it is very heavy (very well made).
we need pics!!!

Gone but not forgotten:
post #13 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
But it is very heavy (very well made).

Honestly, this is part of what I am trying to avoid. More weight means it takes more effort to move, climb, stop, turn a rig. I have built a couple of rigs that have become such pigs with seemingly simple mods that they are no fun to drive and don't wheel well.

The last rig I had a full swing a way on took on a whole unfavorable handling characteristic both on and off the trail. There was simply too much weight located too far back on the rig.

post #14 of 28 Old 02-22-2009, 02:43 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_Rubi View Post
That's what I was going to mention. It's a really nice bumper/swing away system, takes all the weight off the tailgate, but still uses the tailgate as the latching mechanism. They're slick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_Rubi View Post
Love that bumper! Now if 1 of you would give me $1200, I will cover the rest.
post #16 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Honestly, this is part of what I am trying to avoid. More weight means it takes more effort to move, climb, stop, turn a rig. I have built a couple of rigs that have become such pigs with seemingly simple mods that they are no fun to drive and don't wheel well.

The last rig I had a full swing a way on took on a whole unfavorable handling characteristic both on and off the trail. There was simply too much weight located too far back on the rig.
It's heavy duty, but not so heavy as to be a pain in the ass to open. It mounts directly to the frame and can be used with the stock bumper.

If you that worrid about it, just toss the tire on the floor in the back or mount a pre-reunner carrier to the floor.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #17 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Wheeler

do you use a top? If not, fab up something that attaches to the C pillars of the cage and start working out... cause lifting a 37+ from that height sucks
post #18 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrahawk View Post
If you that worrid about it, just toss the tire on the floor in the back or mount a pre-reunner carrier to the floor.

I need the space, which is the whole reason I need easy access in and out of the back.

post #19 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dook View Post
do you use a top?

Is there anyone with a JK that is 100% topless at this point?

post #20 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I need the space, which is the whole reason I need easy access in and out of the back.

That tire carrier N2rock mentioned isn't that heavy all things considered, espicially since it isn't attached to a 150 lb steel bumper. I think it is your best bet next to running without a spart at all.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 12:47 PM
Granite Guru

I always thought it would be cool to have the ORH top with the SUT set up and have the tire mounted Baja style between the roll bars on the back. Might be a pain to get off but anytime you have to wrestle a big tire it is going to be a pain in the az.

American, Gun owning, God fear'n, Veteran, and I'm offended that you're offended.
post #22 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtay14 View Post
Love that bumper! Now if 1 of you would give me $1200, I will cover the rest.
I do 2...Received a $1800 check today from a Insurance Company because some Women rear-ended me. I might go for this bumper but more likely I'll go with the Mopar Off-Road rear bumper and just use the stock tire carrier. Hmmm...spend 500 or 1400....

Gone but not forgotten:
post #23 of 28 Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Is there anyone with a JK that is 100% topless at this point?
I will be if I end up building one... of course, it will never see pavement either, and very little cement, just my garage floor.
post #24 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Granite Guru

OR Fab might be a good base to build up from...I just picked one up and think there is some options I could easily add myself. Cooler rack maybe

http://www.orfab.com/
post #25 of 28 Old 02-27-2009, 09:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The 37 inch tire is to heavy for the tail gate even at the hinge point. Just my input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode