ok so I'm an idiot...... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 11-13-2007, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
ok so I'm an idiot......

Well I had two moments of Jeep stupidity tonight.
1st....
I had decided to try some upgraded headlight bulbs, so I got on ebay and found some ricer bulbs that were cheap, I figured they were crap, but they were cheap and supposed to be 80/100 watts. I figure if they're higher wattage, they'll help so what the hell.
Well they came in and I popped the hood to pull the grill to change the bulbs, this is when I realized my other dumb move....
I did my first oil change a couple of weeks ago, I forgot to put the oil cap on. Well I didn't lose the cap, it was melted onto the exhaust manifold. DUH
ok so back to the bulbs,
Well they rice-a-roni blue and actually quite a bit DIMMER than the stockers.
Double strike out and I'm an idiot.
Just figured I'd share my dumbness!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Good story Larry!

You know I've never done anything like that ever in my life......

One time I was working under my vehicle when I slipped tightening a bolt. Both my hand and the wrench smacked me in the face nearly busting my nose and knocking me out. Worse part was some debris went into my eye and I jumped up to get it out and smacked my head squarely on the cross member. And if that wasn't enough I jerked back from the cross member impact and slammed my head on the concrete driveway.

I figure I was out for a good 10 minutes as the blood from the gash in my head and my bloodied nose had already started to coagulate by the time I came to.
post #3 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Rock God

You guys reminded me of the time I installed my Trail Guide GPS. You have to unplug and remove the compass to install it. After everything was put back together, I had a hell of the time getting the compass to recalibrate. Kept telling me I was going in the opposite direction after mutiple circles & figure eights & crap. My last resort was to deliver a volley of b*tch slaps to it when I finally figured out that I reinstalled the compass backwards. It fits both ways.

Hey MichaelW...maybe Santa could hook you up with one of these to wear when tightening a bolt...

'07 Rubicon

Last edited by BigO; 12-26-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 07:47 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Well they rice-a-roni blue and actually quite a bit DIMMER than the stockers.
Most of the budget priced "Xenon" bulbs are nothing more than regular bulbs painted blue, which while it changes the color temp, it actually reduces light output.

Thanks for sharing though, it makes me feel better about the dumb things I do
post #5 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 AM
Rock God

How about the time I was pulling the transmission out of my old CJ and didn’t block the tires or set the parking brake. I had left it in gear so it didn’t move until I dropped the drive shaft. At that point it started to roll and I panicked and dove out from under the jeep. Landed on the driveway tore up both forearms and my chin. Sad part was the jeep only rolled about 3-4” then it hit the skid plate I had sitting on the ground.

Or the time I was checking the header bolts and leaned on the ratchet that slipped off the fender and landed on the positive and negative post.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #6 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post

Good story Larry!

You know I've never done anything like that ever in my life......

One time I was working under my vehicle when I slipped tightening a bolt. Both my hand and the wrench smacked me in the face nearly busting my nose and knocking me out. Worse part was some debris went into my eye and I jumped up to get it out and smacked my head squarely on the cross member. And if that wasn't enough I jerked back from the cross member impact and slammed my head on the concrete driveway.

I figure I was out for a good 10 minutes as the blood from the gash in my head and my bloodied nose had already started to coagulate by the time I came to.
Yep, Done that...... in front of the wife and the day before I had to drive an Admiral out on the boat at work... 2 black eye's, busted nose, and a nice big gash... Yep.. Bad day.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

post #7 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Well it seems as though I'm in good company here

Quote:
post #8 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Gib
Rock God

I think we all have idiot moments.
post #9 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 12:28 PM
JR
Rock God

If you want to upgrade bulbs, try Sylvania Silverstars.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #10 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
If you want to upgrade bulbs, try Sylvania Silverstars.
Yeah they were my first thought- I've had silverstars in about everything other vehicle I've had, but I saw much higher wattage for cheap so I figured I'd give 'em a shot. I knew they'd probably suck so I wasn't too surprised.

Thing is, if I remember right, I did the same thing when I did the first oil change on my last truck and had to replace the cap.......

Quote:
post #11 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Wheeler

Haha good stuff.
post #12 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM

Well, at least I'm not the only clumsy one here
post #13 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok, so I drove home from work in the dark tonight
these bulbs SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I only hope I can tolerate them until my silverstars come in!

Quote:
post #14 of 34 Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Rock God

Will share my idiot moment (well one of MANY) I hadan 86 Capri with an Auto trans, shift linkage was broke and I was like 16 so I dealt with it, AKA parking brake, hop under the car, reach up to the tranny and manually click the little switch thing (technical term) from Park to Drive, and vice versa when stopping. Well one day, in front of my buddies house, I get in my car to leave, start her up, pull the e-brake and hop under to "flick" it into drive, well I hit REVERSE on the way to Drive and it stuck in R. The E-Brake didnt hold and my Mercury Capri's front drivers side tire rolled up onto my shoulderdown my chest and leg and off my knee. . . . . and then down the street, I hopped up, jumped in it and slammed the brakes and turned off the ignition. Looking back at my friends house he was litterally rolling in his front yard laughing himself to tears. I guess he never saw someone run over themself with their own car b4 heh. No injuries to me, just a T-Shirt with a tire mark down one side.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #15 of 34 Old 11-15-2007, 05:51 AM

oh gawd...where to start...

busted lips from many breakerbars/jack handles...
burned fingers cuz exhaust cools AS SOON as ya turn the car off...
burned lip...(layin under my old mustang...smokin a cig...turned my head..cig hit the underbody..knocked the cherry off the cig RIGHT onto my upper lip...couldnt get my hands down to knock it away....had to shave after that one.......did somethin similar couple years ago sweating copper above my head....didnt have to shave for that...DID have to listen to hot solder sizzle and couldnt smell anything but burnt hair for the rest of the day)...

pinned my own hand while using a floorjack...

watched my ranger roll across the yard...down the hill...and bounced into the creekbed...with parts falling out of it the WHOLE WAY!!..(doin an engine swap and moved it...got away from me...and the brakes wernt hooked up...)

and the wife LOVES when she hears me cuss and them come flyin into the kitchen holding a bloody appendage going for the sink...

best one was comin in and grabbin the fire extinguisher in the kitchen and haulin azz back outside without a word...about 2min later she comes out to see what WAS on fire...

oh...and if ya get the chance...hit yer thumb with a 6lb sledgehammer...it makes a cool "crushing a grape" sound...
post #16 of 34 Old 11-15-2007, 08:59 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer-rrorc View Post
and the wife LOVES when she hears me cuss and them come flyin into the kitchen holding a bloody appendage going for the sink...
Mine doesn’t even skip a beat when I do that anymore. She just fusses about the blood drips between the garage or yard and the kitchen.

I have so many I don’t know where to start.

One of the most stupid “incidents” involved some chicken wire getting tangled up in the weed whacker. A smart person would have turned it off before trying to remove the chicken wire but I evidently preferred to have my hand whipped at high speed almost down to the bone
post #17 of 34 Old 11-16-2007, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ok, these bulbs are even worse than I thought
The driver's side low beam lasted exactly one night drive home from work.
night #2, it didnt work on low, but worked on high and after about 5 min then low started working again, 3rd night it's just out.
I already ordered Silverstars, I just hope I can make it till they get here cuz the bulbs are kind of a PITA to change.

On the other hand, some of the stories have been funny as hell!
Glad to know I'm not the only one prone to stupid human tricks.

probably the dumbest trick I've ever pulled:
Working as a network admin, had the server down for maintenance. Screwing around and stuck the plug from the 2000W UPS backup up my nose like I was plugging it in. It backfed through the plug and through my skull, I felt it go through and hit the back of my head. Knocked me blind for about 5 minutes!
Definitely one of the dumbest tricks I've pulled!

Quote:
post #18 of 34 Old 11-19-2007, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
to stupid human tricks.

probably the dumbest trick I've ever pulled:
Working as a network admin, had the server down for maintenance. Screwing around and stuck the plug from the 2000W UPS backup up my nose like I was plugging it in. It backfed through the plug and through my skull, I felt it go through and hit the back of my head. Knocked me blind for about 5 minutes!
Definitely one of the dumbest tricks I've pulled!
I didnt know you worked here at the university??...some of those people arnt in any danger of being too smart for their own good...
post #19 of 34 Old 11-19-2007, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

Wow those storries are great guys... I almost fell outta my chair at the office. Everyone was starring at me like why is that guy laughing at himself so hard keep em coming.

post #20 of 34 Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Rock God

Well, I tried not to post any of my long long list until what happen today,,,,,Are you ready, ok, walked out of my house after lunch & jumped in the JK, got back out to check my mailbox, jumped back in started her up, noticed smoke coming off of KC Light Covers(Windshield) almost on fire >>> (yes, you now no what idiotic thing I did). It really didn't hit me at 1st, but then I looked my switch was on.(bumped it getting in or out with my knee). Jumped out pulled one cover off & the foam was burned black. Smoked both covers & one lens cracked when I pulled covers off. Can't I get through one day without something happening.
I know this what the Wife thinks of me when she rolls her eyes & shakes her head.,,,

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #21 of 34 Old 11-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Rock God

While installing my Shrockworks sliders I dropped the driver side on my head... twice... and the passenger side once.

Stars... and a serious f'ing headache for a day. I emailed Shrockworks to advise that there weren't any instructions in my box, but the install was pretty straight forward, even though I droppd the sliders on my head three times. Nick writes me back and I think "cut-n-pasted" from the instructions a whole section of how to NOT install by yourself and use floor jacks to support the sliders...

LOL!

Dirty Minion #6
post #22 of 34 Old 12-02-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

update:
Silverstars are SOOOOO much better....

Quote:
post #23 of 34 Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 PM
Rock God

Garage
oldies but goodies..

too funny!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
post #24 of 34 Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Banned

Ive had idiot moments. See sig line.

post #25 of 34 Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Granite Guru

When drilling glass block, never use compressed air to blow the water out of the hole.

5 pounds of exploding glass makes a terrible mess. Now I know what my bones look like.

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode