lift help - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 66
Feedback: 0 reviews
lift help

Hey, im new with the jk and ive heard its different than my old tj lift wise.
Could i run 37's with a 5 inch rugged ridge suspention and 2 inch body lift?
And as i understand i would only need a new front driveshaft?
Please help, thanks
jk12177 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Rock God
 
Richie Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Paradise (Hawaii)
Posts: 884
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk12177 View Post
Hey, im new with the jk and ive heard its different than my old tj lift wise.
Could i run 37's with a 5 inch rugged ridge suspention and 2 inch body lift?
And as i understand i would only need a new front driveshaft?
Please help, thanks
You can run 37's with just a 4inch lift. Do you have a 2 or 4 door?

FAR FROM STOCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


OHANA TRAILS

Richie Rich is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 66
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
You can run 37's with just a 4inch lift. Do you have a 2 or 4 door?

i have a 2007 2 door rubicon
jk12177 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 02-17-2009, 10:33 PM
AK
Granite Guru
 
AK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: IE, CA
Posts: 154
Feedback: 0 reviews

Like Riche said, you could run 37's with a 4", or you could run 38's with a 3" lift like 100dollarman

As far as the drive shaft, I know people that have replaced them and people who haven't, both have broke so I say wait till it breaks then get a free stock replacement from the forum and wait again

My two pennies

AK
Let's go wheelin!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Unlimited Sahara
Black Auto 5.13's
AK is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 AM
TrailDuty.com
 
PhilD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 5,205
Feedback: 5 reviews

4" lift is all you need for 37's. 3" with the correct bump stops will also work.

If you have an auto the factory drive shaft slip joint boot will invariably get ripped up on the side of the trans pan. The boots at the cv's may also fail over time. An aftermarket shaft will be a lot more picky about pinion angle, but will negate the above issues. Both can fail given abuse, but an aftermarket shaft is a lot easier to re-build in the field.
PhilD is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 66
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Like Riche said, you could run 37's with a 4", or you could run 38's with a 3" lift like 100dollarman

As far as the drive shaft, I know people that have replaced them and people who haven't, both have broke so I say wait till it breaks then get a free stock replacement from the forum and wait again

My two pennies
really , a free stock driveshaft lol?
jk12177 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 66
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
4" lift is all you need for 37's. 3" with the correct bump stops will also work.

If you have an auto the factory drive shaft slip joint boot will invariably get ripped up on the side of the trans pan. The boots at the cv's may also fail over time. An aftermarket shaft will be a lot more picky about pinion angle, but will negate the above issues. Both can fail given abuse, but an aftermarket shaft is a lot easier to re-build in the field.
if i got a aftermarket driveshaft i would also need a slip yoke elimanator right?
jk12177 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome