Walker Evans Wheels - Street or Beadlocks? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 02-15-2009, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Walker Evans Wheels - Street or Beadlocks?

I've finally decided that I'm going to get a set of Walker Evans wheels for my JK. I've been having trouble justifying the cost and looking for a less expensive wheel that I liked, but I've decided that if I don't get these wheels I'll wish I had. Now I have to decide if I should get the street wheels or the beadlocks. I've done a lot of searching and am concerned about the fact that they're not D.O.T. approved. I've read where if there's an accident, you could be held liable if you have non D.O.T. approved wheels. Can anyone tell me why they aren't approved? What's different about the AEV wheels that they have been D.O.T approved but the Walker Evans aren't? Has anybody ever heard of a beadlock wheel failure that has or could have caused an accident? Has anyone ever been ticketed for having beadlocks? I'm in Colorado, and see a lot of modified Jeeps on the road with beadlocks. If there is an accident and it turns out that a beadlock failure caused it could the insurance company refuse to cover it? I'm leaning toward the street wheels because of all of these questions, but could get the beadlocks for less than $100 more for a set of 5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

get the bead locks......thats what id do.....

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #3 of 36 Old 02-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
I've been having trouble justifying the cost and looking for a less expensive wheel that I liked, but I've decided that if I don't get these wheels I'll wish I had.
I was the same way! I knew if I got something else, I'd always be wishing I had gotten them.

I decided on the street wheels because I didn't want to deal with always keeping the bolts tightened. I know ... not a big deal, I just didn't want to have to worry about it. I read a post a couple weeks ago on here from someone who had the beadlocks and hasn't had any problems with the bolts loosening up over time. When I read his post, I started second guessing my decision to buy the streets ... other than not being DOT approved.

I just got back from a snow run today, and running 5-6 psi, I didn't have any problems with the beads. Even spinning the tires on a hill climb, they held just fine. I have been VERY happy with these wheels on the road, rocks and snow! And haven't been in a situation yet where I wished I had the beadlocks. Yet, yah I know, those times will come. If I were making the decision again, I would definately buy Walker Evans, and would probably still buy the streets. ??

Good Luck!

Last edited by JeepThing; 02-15-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 02-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Rock God

I'm also in Colorado.

You should do a search of this topic on Colorado4x4.org.

Beadlocks are NOT illegal in anyway shape or form. It is an old wives tale!!

I personally have run beadlocks on 3 Rigs over the last seven years here in Colorado without a single issue. We are talking over 100K worth of use.

Here are my Racelines (Allied) for the JK, you can see that the truck in the background also has beadlocks.

Here is the daily driven Colorado JK.

The TJ.

post #5 of 36 Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepThing View Post
I decided on the street wheels because I didn't want to deal with always keeping the bolts tightened. I know ... not a big deal, I just didn't want to have to worry about it. I read a post a couple weeks ago on here from someone who had the beadlocks and hasn't had any problems with the bolts loosening up over time. When I read his post, I started second guessing my decision to buy the streets ... other than not being DOT approved.

Old school beadlocks had issues with this. They tried to sandwich the bead between 2 flat pieces of steel with no way of actually centering the tire. This allowed the tire to shift which put unequal pressure on the bolts causing them to get loose, lose air and get out of balance. Most modern beadlocks use a way to center the tire and keep it from shifting.

Here is an example of the "old school" style.

Look at the way the tire bead mounts on these Raceline beadlocks (Allied)
The ring itself is shaped like the tire bead to seal on all sides of the bead. See the differnce?

Here you can see how the wheel surface is set up to center the tire and not let it shift, NO LOSE BOLTS, EVER!. 7 years of using this style and I have never had to tighten a bolt.

See how the tire sits down around the centering ring.

Here you can see an old school style missing it's outer ring. Notice there is no way to center the tire and keep it from shifting.

Secondly, DOT is an agency that sets volentary manufacturing standards, not a law creating agency.

Most manufacturers follow the standards to add extra liability protection.

My understanding is that basically DOT defined a shape to the inner bead lip that wheels should be made too. Beadlocks tend to change this shape (cut it off) so they don't fit the basic standard.

It is possible to simply have wheels tested and "DOT Approved". It's a costly process that most manufacturers simply don't do.

AEV did it. That is the difference.

This is why beadlocks like Hutchinson and other inner lock styles fit the DOT standard. (they leave the lip alone).

Last edited by Xtremjeepn; 02-15-2009 at 10:55 PM.
post #6 of 36 Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks Cole! Now you've got me second guessing my decision again.

Good info.
post #7 of 36 Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! I've done a lot of searching, and did do a search on Colorado 4X4, it seems like some people say they're illegal, and they all know somebody that knows somebody that got a ticket, but I can't find any first hand experiences of somebody who can say it was them. I'm starting to lean toward the real beadlocks. Cole, those Racelines look SWEET!!, do you have any recommendations as far as a vendor I can contact to look into a set of those? Those are the first wheels I've seen that I like as much as the Walker Evans!

Has anybody here actually been ticketed or had a major failure using beadlocks on the street?
post #8 of 36 Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Rock God

scott,

FWIW I'm a former police officer here in Colorado. There is no law on the books I could write you a ticket for.(just hate posting that fact if I don't have to)

I don't have real numbers here but the Raceline(Allied) wheels are much lighter. I have picked up both.

I have heard of gus finding good deals on them on ebay or just searching the web. I also saw a set at Crawlertech4x4 last Thursday. So I would imagine Josh can get you a set at a fair price.

post #9 of 36 Old 02-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Rock God

Couple of other thoughts. Think the Walkers are 24 bolt, Racelines are 32. Walkers have a flat outer ring where the Racelines are shaped to center the bead, seal on both bead lips and protect the bolt heads.

post #10 of 36 Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Couple of other thoughts. Think the Walkers are 24 bolt, Racelines are 32. Walkers have a flat outer ring where the Racelines are shaped to center the bead, seal on both bead lips and protect the bolt heads.

Thanks Cole, you've definetely helped set my mind at ease on this. I'll give Crawlertech a call, Josh did a lot of work for me on a TJ that I had before I got the JK, great guy and really knows his stuff!
post #11 of 36 Old 02-16-2009, 07:54 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Beadlocks are NOT illegal in anyway shape or form. It is an old wives tale!!
X2 Also there is no requirement that aftermarket rims are DOT "approved". Besides which DOT "approval" for rims is a very simple process, unlike that for tires, and is no real guarantee of anything, apart from the max load of the rim.

Like any modification you do yourself it is always possible, although highly unlikely, that someone may try to hold you liable in a civil suit in the event of an accident, but the same could be said of a lift, steering mod, etc, etc, that you installed yourself. I personally think this is such a remote possibility that it is not work worrying about.
post #12 of 36 Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 PM
Wheeler

I have 37" BFG KM2s running on Walker Evan's Beadlocks, they balanced beautifully and run straight and true on the highway. I have had no issues whatsover with them and am very happy with the purchase. I have about 3000 miles on them so far.

Name:  2008 128.jpg
Views: 40437
Size:  307.5 KB

The Mad Brit at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

45 Willys MB, 14 AEV JKU, 88 Sammi
post #13 of 36 Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

as another cop...

i have been asked the same question as to legality. the thing is that there are laws that you have to look out for from state to state. the absolute BEST way is to go to each state website and search for links with current statutes or codes. it will usually be a link to LexisNexis... which is a database for laws. we use it here where i work in CD format on our computers.

so far as i could see, Colorado has no restriction on the wheels. the catch, thought ... is as stated. since it is not a DOT "approved" wheel, it leaves the possibility open for civil suit, if there was an incident where someone could claim that the wheel was the "cause" of the accident.... or significantly contributed to loss of control or other detail.

i always STRONGLY recommend that you research the laws by each state. i had a sticky up on the Quadratec Forum a few years ago, and we have since changed our forum system.... I had all 50 states up with active links. it may still be in the archives.. i'll have to look. anyway. the best way to be sure is to review the codes. for most states, it will fall under motor vehicles / equipment. laws DO change. 10 years ago, another officer found some obscure law relating to removing body parts from vehicles and operation on the highway (doors, etc)... some time later... that law... disappeared.

i dug it up and re-stickied the thread. some of the links are dead and one or two are outdated, but should give some people a head start. link to the Quadratec thread:

http://www.quadratecforum.com/showthread.php?t=73557

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane

Last edited by b1pig; 02-19-2009 at 11:17 AM.
post #14 of 36 Old 02-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Rock God

Thanks for the link b1pig. Maybe some of you can help me regarding this. So can I run beadlocks or not?
815.030 State vehicle equipment standards. (1) The Department of Transportation shall adopt and enforce minimum standards for vehicle performance or vehicle equipment performance consistent with this section.

(2) Standards adopted by the department under this section shall be consistent with any vehicle standards established under federal regulations or under standards of the Society of Automotive Engineers, the American National Standards Institute or the National Institute of Standards and Technology.

(3) As federal regulations concerning vehicle equipment are subsequently amended or repealed the department may consider subsequent federal vehicle safety standards and adopt standards with respect to any vehicle or item of vehicle equipment applicable to the same aspect of performance of such vehicle or item of equipment if the department determines that the subsequent federal standards are practicable, provide an objective standard and meet the need for vehicle safety.

(4) Standards adopted by the department under this section supersede any equipment provision of the vehicle code applicable to the same aspect of performance that conflicts with a specific provision of a standard adopted by the department under this section with respect to compliance with safety standards in effect at the time of sale.

(5) The department shall continue to adopt equipment standards as required under other sections of the vehicle code if there is no standard under this section.

(6) Proof of certification of equipment under this section may be in the form of a symbol or designation prescribed in federal standards or if there is no federal symbol or designation, by a symbol or designation acceptable to the department.

(7) Compliance with any requirements for equipment under this section is subject to ORS 815.010.

(8) Prohibitions and penalties relating to the standards established under this section are provided under ORS 815.075 and 815.100. [1983 c.338 §439; 1985 c.188 §1; 2003 c.158 §2]

815.100 Operation of vehicle that violates equipment rules; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of operation of a vehicle that violates state equipment administrative rules if the person drives or moves on any highway or owns and causes or knowingly permits to be driven or moved on any highway a vehicle if the vehicle or any equipment on the vehicle:

(a) Does not conform to standards established by the Department of Transportation by rule under ORS 815.030; and
(b) Does not bear thereon proof of certification that it complies with the applicable standards.

(2) Proof of certification required under this section may be made in any manner provided under ORS 815.030.

(3) This section is subject to the exemptions from this section established under ORS 815.105.

(4) Vehicle equipment standards established by rule under ORS 815.030 supersede any other equipment standards under the vehicle code when so provided by ORS 815.030.

(5) The offense described under this section, operation of vehicle that violates state equipment administrative rules, is a Class C traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §466; 1985 c.16 §244; 1985 c.393 §16]
post #15 of 36 Old 02-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

ok.

GA has a law similar to that.
the problem is that you have to have the SAE standard in hand to read. you have to pay for it, though. you may be able to ask your local agency if they have it on hand for review

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #16 of 36 Old 02-20-2009, 12:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Those Raceline/Allied wheels are sweet. I haven't been able to locate them for for the JK in black. Do they make them?
post #17 of 36 Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Those Raceline/Allied wheels are sweet. I haven't been able to locate them for for the JK in black. Do they make them?
Don't think they make the Allied/Racelines in black. You could have them powder coated pretty easy.

post #18 of 36 Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Don't think they make the Allied/Racelines in black. You could have them powder coated pretty easy.
They have them on Raceline's website, but it says due out April 08. Same thing for the polished one's like yours, what gives?

http://www.racelinewheels.com/p-472-...ter-black.aspx

I really like those wheels and they're $100 cheaper than the Spyder Locks I'm considering. How much do they weigh?
post #19 of 36 Old 02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Rock God

Oh....cool!!!!!!

I had black steel Allieds on my TJ.

I was going to weigh them becasue I was so surprised how light they were. But then I got too excited mounting them and forgot.

post #20 of 36 Old 05-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Wheeler

if you look at the pics of the raceline beadlock wheels, they still have the bead that the tire is held on by on both sides, inboard and outboard. raceline beadlock wheels can be run on that bead and be perfectly street legal (DOT approved bead contour). you can also mount the tire in the actual beadlock system so that they are run as beadlock wheels for offroad use. best of both worlds.
post #21 of 36 Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywithwheelsforyou View Post
if you look at the pics of the raceline beadlock wheels, they still have the bead that the tire is held on by on both sides, inboard and outboard. raceline beadlock wheels can be run on that bead and be perfectly street legal (DOT approved bead contour).
I've heard of people doing that who've destroyed rings on the trail to get get them home.
post #22 of 36 Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Granite Guru

I would go and get a set of the beadlocks instead of the streetlocks. Well worth the little extra money. I have ran across many others running beadlocks on the road in my state and just about everyone I talked with said they have never had any problems operating them on the road.

Teraflex 4" Lift with 8 Flexarms - Mickey Thompson Classic Locks - 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlar - Shrockworks Mid Width Front Bumper - Shrockworks Full Width Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier - SkidRow Oil/Tranny skid plate - Rock Hard 4x4 JK Evap Canister Skid Plate - Coast Front and Read Driveshaft - Teraflex Front/Rear Differential Covers - Superchip Flashpaq - Mile Marker 9500 - KC SlimLights - ARB on-board air/CB/Ham radio - Yukon 5.13 - Sleeved and Gussets
post #23 of 36 Old 05-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Rock God

dont have beadlocks on my jk yet, but i did have a set of Trailready beadlocks on my YJ, they were daily driven and held up quite well,

i wouldnt hesitate to put beadlocks on a daily driven Jeep, as long as they are good beadlocks, and you really cant go wrong with Walkers
post #24 of 36 Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 PM
Wheeler

They do make them and they are available. These are what I run. They are great.

Quote:
They have them on Raceline's website, but it says due out April 08. Same thing for the polished one's like yours, what gives?

http://www.racelinewheels.com/p-472-...ter-black.aspx

I really like those wheels and they're $100 cheaper than the Spyder Locks I'm considering. How much do they weigh?

6.1 HEMI, Atlas II, Dynatrac 60s, FT Long Arm, Evo Coilover and Evo-Lever, 42" MTR/K's, Shrockworks Rock Sliders & Stubby front bumper, Expedition One Rear bumper/tire carrier, and Sport Cage
post #25 of 36 Old 05-14-2009, 03:09 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
How much do they weigh?
Mine weigh 36 lbs each. Heavier than a normal alloy rim, but in line with a steel rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode