Aussie front locker and Riddler cover done - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Aussie front locker and Riddler cover done

Got around to doing the Aussie yesterday. Went off without a hitch except for the fact that I left the locker 30 miles from where we did the install.

60 miles and a few hours later, all was good.
Thanks to my buddy Jared and our paint shop, would not have happened without them, and a big thanks to Scott, who's write up we followed.

Various pics......

After the paint. Did the cover in teflon black, we use it up at work on radomes and thrust reversers. Silver is Rustoleum metallic silver. And yes, the masking was a PITA.

Cover off, ready to pull the carrier.

Carrier apart, ready for the Aussie.

Back together.

All done.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

The job looks so fast in pictures!!

Good job man, cover looks good. I am happy with the Aussie in mine

BTW, noticed the marks on the ujoints! I really think everybody that has not tacked thier caps should do that
post #3 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
The job looks so fast in pictures!!

Good job man, cover looks good. I am happy with the Aussie in mine

BTW, noticed the marks on the ujoints! I really think everybody that has not tacked thier caps should do that
LOL, I wish it went that fast. I'm curious as to how the paint will hold up.

Yeah, I thought about tacking the caps, but didn't want to burn any grease up. I opted for the torque stripe method instead. They all looked really good, knock on wood. Thanks again for the great write up.

BTW, what was your measurements? My shaft to axle was .011 to .012, and my inter cam was about .135, about .010 below the recommended min. Damn, those thrust washers are strong!!!

/jl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
I'm curious as to how the paint will hold up.

I coated mine with a couple coats of Ceramic clear and threw it in the oven to harden it as per the instructions.

It is supposed to make it heat AND chemical resistant once hardened. So far it has held up great, even to diff fluid spills. I highly recomend it.

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 02-08-2009 at 06:22 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
BTW, what was your measurements? My shaft to axle was .011 to .012, and my inter cam was about .135, about .010 below the recommended min. Damn, those thrust washers are strong!!!
I do not remember exactly what my measurments were. I belive that they are in the email conversation with Aussie in the write up thread.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1906

I do know that they were much tighter then the toloreance specs supplied with the locker. This was due to the thrust washers being thicker then the TJ and the cupped shape. Speaking with Aussie they said they like the d30 being set up tight anyway as they have had SOME issues with it unlocking on the TJ. They suspected the JK washers with thier cupped shape would relax over time.

I noticed no changes till somewhere around 4k miles later. Now that they have relaxed they are perfect and rarley "pop" when they unlock turning sharp corners now. BE prepared to have some popping turning sharply in parking lots for a while. FWIW, I have never had it slip or unlock on me so I nthink they are just right.

EDIT: Here was what I had

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtf_lol form email with aussie
For the Pinion gap, with the unit at rest it was less then 0. I had to spread the unit apart to even get the pinion shaft in. Once it was in, at rest it was pushed against the shaft, spread apart (so thrust washer was flat) I was roughly ~.010. The gauge I had was not as specific as I would have wanted it to be but it was enough to tell if I was within tolerance. For the Cam gear gap, I didn't make a note of what ti was at rest but it was tighter then the tolerance alowed, I remember doing the math and figuring out that at rest the TJ thrust washers would be to loose. I am surprised to hear that you where at .135 with the JK washers and spread apart, it seems that is about where I was with it at rest with the JK washers. I will have to find my notes but it seems I was at about roughly .155 with the JK washers and spread open.
looks like Aussie also had .135 on thier test fit. I think that is also about what mine was at rest

Last edited by WTF_LOL; 02-08-2009 at 06:22 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Banned

oh, and one last thing...Was your carier a pain in the arse to get out and back in?

Mine was tight as hell...I suppose that is a good thing. In my XJ it practically fell out after a tap or two with the pry bar
post #7 of 10 Old 02-08-2009, 08:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
oh, and one last thing...Was your carier a pain in the arse to get out and back in?

Mine was tight as hell...I suppose that is a good thing. In my XJ it practically fell out after a tap or two with the pry bar
one of these may make your life eaiser

http://www.restockit.com/Differentia...1&SSAID=250033

www.jeepasylum.com
post #8 of 10 Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
I do not remember exactly what my measurments were. I belive that they are in the email conversation with Aussie in the write up thread.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1906

I do know that they were much tighter then the toloreance specs supplied with the locker. This was due to the thrust washers being thicker then the TJ and the cupped shape. Speaking with Aussie they said they like the d30 being set up tight anyway as they have had SOME issues with it unlocking on the TJ. They suspected the JK washers with thier cupped shape would relax over time.

I noticed no changes till somewhere around 4k miles later. Now that they have relaxed they are perfect and rarley "pop" when they unlock turning sharp corners now. BE prepared to have some popping turning sharply in parking lots for a while. FWIW, I have never had it slip or unlock on me so I nthink they are just right.

EDIT: Here was what I had

looks like Aussie also had .135 on thier test fit. I think that is also about what mine was at rest
Well, looks like we all got the same measurements, I feel better about it now.

Quote:

Nope, one good tug and it came right out. Wonder why yours was so tight?

/jl

post #9 of 10 Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Granite Guru

the tolerance when manufacturing the cases is pretty loose, so sometimes you need a case spreader. No big deal really. cover looks tight
Let us know how that ceramic sealer works. I would like to see it on the back as the back gets hotter. Doesn't that make it impossible to touch up though. Just don't hit any rocks

2008 Stone White 2DR X
Cutsom TJ front 2" springs with 2 spacers
Teraflex rear 3" 4dr. springs heated so they actually sit 3" on my 2dr
Custom rear shock mounts
285x75 R16 Treadwright MTRs Yeah they rock soon to be 315x70 R16
Xenon Narrow Flares
Woods Steering Stabilzer Bracket
Teraflex rear driveline
Mopar Frt bumper made Stubby
KC Slimlites
Bikini Top
Custom exhaust - Flowmaster single chamber with Woods tail pipe
Lots of Beer Consumption
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-10-2009, 06:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
one of these may make your life eaiser
HOLY CHIT that thing is spendy!!!!!

I made one of those for about $30 in steel for my D60 and 10.25 Ford axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode